What's new

Hulu Futurama's coming back BABY! (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Futurama never shied away from political or hot button topics, and often handled them more deftly than the Simpsons. The show was at its best when it highlighted the diverse cast of supporting characters (creatures?) it created over the years.

BTW I’d love to see the first four seasons released on Blu-ray.
Of course futurama and the best years of the Simpsons skewered politics, but Simpsons ended up getting too preachy. One of the last episodes of modern Simpsons I remember is an episode where Bart becomes a feminist. I mean, really? And the show ended up pretty much morphing into “Lisa & The Simpsons”

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Of course futurama and the best years of the Simpsons skewered politics, but Simpsons ended up getting too preachy. One of the last episodes of modern Simpsons I remember is an episode where Bart becomes a feminist. I mean, really? And the show ended up pretty much morphing into “Lisa & The Simpsons”
We’ll have to agree to disagree on the Simpsons, since I think it’s been pretty consistent in pushing everyone’s buttons for 30+ years. In any event, this is about Futurama, and I’m hopeful the writers will continue to skewer anything and everything.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
We’ll have to agree to disagree on the Simpsons, since I think it’s been pretty consistent in pushing everyone’s buttons for 30+ years. In any event, this is about Futurama, and I’m hopeful the writers will continue to skewer anything and everything.

The show has been on for over 30 years and the new generation of writing between then and now feels pretty apparent. IMO (and it’s just IMO) they crossed into the murkiness of would rather receive praise than laughs. And that is the death of comedy. The Simpsons went from making fun of politics in their golden years to becoming a political voice.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m rewatching S6* currently. I’ve only seen this once before, and I’ve forgotten a lot of the episodes. But it’s still got solid episodes. Ghost in the Machines and Yo Leela Leela are the two recent ones that held up well. In the previous season, after the post-cancellation re-launch are Lethal Inspection and The Late Great Philip J Fry and The Prisoner of Benda, which I’ll rank with the best of the original four seasons, including Jurassic Bark.

(Season 8 in IMDB listing order. Apparently I’m using a custom order where the movies are all S5. Maybe I’ll fix that if/when I re-buy all of the new Futurama on blu-ray one day.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks