What's new

Hulu Futurama's coming back BABY! (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Futurama never shied away from political or hot button topics, and often handled them more deftly than the Simpsons. The show was at its best when it highlighted the diverse cast of supporting characters (creatures?) it created over the years.

BTW I’d love to see the first four seasons released on Blu-ray.
Of course futurama and the best years of the Simpsons skewered politics, but Simpsons ended up getting too preachy. One of the last episodes of modern Simpsons I remember is an episode where Bart becomes a feminist. I mean, really? And the show ended up pretty much morphing into “Lisa & The Simpsons”

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Of course futurama and the best years of the Simpsons skewered politics, but Simpsons ended up getting too preachy. One of the last episodes of modern Simpsons I remember is an episode where Bart becomes a feminist. I mean, really? And the show ended up pretty much morphing into “Lisa & The Simpsons”
We’ll have to agree to disagree on the Simpsons, since I think it’s been pretty consistent in pushing everyone’s buttons for 30+ years. In any event, this is about Futurama, and I’m hopeful the writers will continue to skewer anything and everything.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
We’ll have to agree to disagree on the Simpsons, since I think it’s been pretty consistent in pushing everyone’s buttons for 30+ years. In any event, this is about Futurama, and I’m hopeful the writers will continue to skewer anything and everything.

The show has been on for over 30 years and the new generation of writing between then and now feels pretty apparent. IMO (and it’s just IMO) they crossed into the murkiness of would rather receive praise than laughs. And that is the death of comedy. The Simpsons went from making fun of politics in their golden years to becoming a political voice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m rewatching S6* currently. I’ve only seen this once before, and I’ve forgotten a lot of the episodes. But it’s still got solid episodes. Ghost in the Machines and Yo Leela Leela are the two recent ones that held up well. In the previous season, after the post-cancellation re-launch are Lethal Inspection and The Late Great Philip J Fry and The Prisoner of Benda, which I’ll rank with the best of the original four seasons, including Jurassic Bark.

(Season 8 in IMDB listing order. Apparently I’m using a custom order where the movies are all S5. Maybe I’ll fix that if/when I re-buy all of the new Futurama on blu-ray one day.)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
FzpKOQPakAArzl9

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I’m rewatching S6* currently. I’ve only seen this once before, and I’ve forgotten a lot of the episodes. But it’s still got solid episodes. Ghost in the Machines and Yo Leela Leela are the two recent ones that held up well. In the previous season, after the post-cancellation re-launch are Lethal Inspection and The Late Great Philip J Fry and The Prisoner of Benda, which I’ll rank with the best of the original four seasons, including Jurassic Bark.

(Season 8 in IMDB listing order. Apparently I’m using a custom order where the movies are all S5. Maybe I’ll fix that if/when I re-buy all of the new Futurama on blu-ray one day.)
The four "movies" are actually 16 separate episodes each with its own production code (5ACV01-16). If they were really movies they would only have one production number each (like M*A*S*H's Goodbye, Farewell and Amen).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just finished watching the 1st 2 episodes of the new season. It is definitely still Futurama. Luckily, they got back all the original voice actors (at least according to the end credits). The first episode was a bit meta, but I guess they had to acknowledge the fact that this show has been canceled so many times and yet keeps coming back.

I am not sure (it has been a while since last watching any older episodes) but I do think the animation is different in this iteration. To me it seems like there is less background stuff. Seems more simplified if that makes sense. Or it could just be me misremembering the previous animation quality.

I am just so happy to have it back!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's like we're stuck in a time loop! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought the premiere episode was very enjoyable. The fulu gag was great. I studied it, and took a photo just because it was so good. Getting Calculon back is evergreen. The double speed acting was delightful.The ending was maybe weak, but this was some solid Futurama. You can tell the actors are, well, 20 years older. Fry's voice by Billy West is more gravelly than 11-something seasons ago.

Episode two wasn't as strong for me, though I don't have any specific critique. A strength of Futurama has always been its ability to tell some stories from the heart amidst the insane sci-fi Matt Groening misadventures. And I appreciate this "generational" storytelling where the characters are aged and their concerns are aged in real time. In terms of voices, Amy's dad didn't sound right at all to me. A solid episode, but somehow didn't fully resonate with me.

Looking forward to the third. Wishing we got 22 episodes a year. :)

IMG_5214.jpeg

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Episode two wasn't as strong for me, though I don't have any specific critique. A strength of Futurama has always been its ability to tell some stories from the heart
I kind of think they might be trying a little too hard to inject heart into the shows so far. At this point I’m itching for just a straight up wacky (forgive the oxymoron) adventure episode, but so far I have enjoyed them enough. Episode one seemed a smidge reminiscent of the “Single Female Lawyer” episode from way back, I also question starting this new run of the series with an episode where Fry is absent for a sizable stretch (as there could theoretically be people who are watching the show for the first time), but the return of Calculon is welcome, the aforementioned double speed acting was good and it’s always funny when futurama/Simpsons skewers television executives. Probably the best moment to me in episode two was the Wong’s reaction to the grandchildren they have coveted through the entire series

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been enjoying this season. This week's parody of Dune was hilarious, right down to the music. I'm amazed that the show has been going for 24 years now. Let's hope it never stops.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first 4 episodes on D+. They had better step their game up. The first 4 have been weak. Not very funny and hammer to the head references. The strength of the show was being able to weave pop culture references into the framework of a world building that was unique to the show.

I've been a big fan of this show from day one and was always glad.to see it resurrected, but this go around is looking like a visit to the well once too.often at thus point. The whole thing feels phoned in so far. The worst thing that could happen to Futurama is that it dies being boring and,.right now, that is exactly the direction it is going. Even the cast sounds like they are bored with it. The first 4 have been low effort outings.

I mean, the only scene I thought.was.at.least somewhat funny in all 4 episodes was the scene with Nixon's head and even that one I'm having trouble remembering.

I hope they improve fast because I really don't want to see them going out with garbage episodes like these as their last legacy. This season feels like the Futurama version of season 3 of Star Trek: The original series. Even "Spock's Brain" was funnier and it wasn't even meant to be.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The season finale was pretty good. I always liked how this show handles complex topics with a light touch. The season overall was pretty good; last week's episode was the poorest of the bunch, but every week had great moments. I believe it's renewed for another year, so I will look forward to that.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen the final episode yet but I think honestly this season was overall kind of Meh. There were some good moments here and there but I probably wouldn’t decide to watch any of them again. I felt the episode last week was painful, maybe there was something about it I didn’t get. I’m happy it got renewed apparently, maybe the show needs to get back into a groove.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I've only managed to get through half of the season. This might have been one comeback too many for this show. Billy West's Fry voice sounds old and tired, and Leela has lost her intelligence along with her charm.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
3 more seasons of Futurama incoming.

"Season 12 is expected to debut on Hulu in 2024. The 20-episode latest order is for Seasons 13 and 14."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That’s good news. I want the show to keep going. I enjoyed the most recent season, for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks