Futurama

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    So when is Futurama scheduled to return.. Being on the east coast, its in a horrible timeslot, MUCH worse than the Family Guy against Friends/Survivor3. It's on at 7pm after many NFC football games which means for the most part, it's always either preempted or "Joined in progress" UGH! This past sunday with a NY Giants game ending at 7, seems like Fox didn't even bother attempting to put a rerun in or something, it just said "postgame" in it. Any idea when Futurama is coming back, tend not to keep up with schedules and stuff, perhaps it has been moved?
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Sometime December; Fox has basically decided to stop even trying to start its season until after the NFL's regular season is done for the year. That way, they can just count on using 7-7:30 as a buffer between the NFL and prime time schedules.
    Of course, it doesn't always work, as we saw last night, when games run extra-special long.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You know, they should just put 3 hours on the NFL clock and leave the thing running. It still takes 3 hours, but at least our shows won't be pre-empted
    Just ONCE I want to see "We now leave our game because they can't seem to figure out an hour means an hour"(yes, I know all about the Heidi thing), or "We now join our game already in progress"
    Jeff Kleist

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Or better yet, move all sports to ESPN and ESPN2, except for the really big games (World Series, Playoffs, Championships, Super Bowls, etc). I could careless about sports, and those who DO care probably have ESPN.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist
    Potter is coming...

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, a lot of people who live in rural areas without cable service are big sports fans.
    Besides, much as it can annoy me, the idea of pushing sports off to specialty channels or breaking away from them for pre-recorded scripted shows doesn't benefit anyone except the niche that wants that show more than the sports. The NFL wouldn't get as big a TV contract from ESPN as they would from CBS and Fox. The networks also make pretty good money on sports, and sports also deliver a broader audience (and generally higher ratings) than the show they may bump, making them a good promotional platform. Conversely, the network exposure helps leagues, helping them put butts in seats.
    Hey, I understand how annoying a sportscast that runs past its predicted time is, which is why I think Fox is doing the right thing by holding off "Futurama" until December, basically using its timeslot as a buffer zone. Maybe a repeat of the "Heidi" fiasco wouldn't earn the networks quite as vicious a reaction as it did before, but, honestly, can you really make a case that an end to sports-related pre-emptions is in a network or local station's interests?

6. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I believe it's scheduled to return December 9, due to football double headers, and the TV airing of The Phantom Menace.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    YES!! A futurama, I taped it and watched it at 10pm last night... Haha, a real funny episode, much more funnier than the Simpsons that was on at 8pm... Enus!!!!
    The whole Zoidberg abduction was hilarious and Fry being his own grandfather!!!
    [​IMG]
    Jay

8. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Unfortunately for those of us on the east coast, or at least here with Boston's Fox 25, we got the NFL post game show that kicked in after the game finished late. So yes, once again, no Futurama here. Bah. It's a good thing I only watch Fox for two shows, their scheduling just sucks.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Really? In the NYC area, Fox played the Giants game from 12-4pm and had regularly scheduled programming afterwords... there wasn't football before Futurama I think.

Hopefully, somebody mentioned in another Futurama thread that Fox will replay them later in the season... I mean we've already had to wait this far for any Futurama shows... I wish they'd put the Simpsons and Futurama back to back, that would be sooo cool. I don't ever watch Malcolm in the Middle.. Dunno, just doesn't do it for me even though I hear alot of good things about it on this forum..

Jay

10. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Great episode. Had me lauging out loud when The Professor & crew decide on taking the "screw the timeline" approach… and start strafing the Roswell compound!

After all those years of Trek-inspired "mustn’t change history" plots, it had me rolling on the floor.

11. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

I know it's off topic, but I can't let it go...

Jay H, you should give Malcolm another try for a couple of weeks.. I didn't watch it for most of the first season until someone told me to give it another try. They said: "Think of it as a live action Simpsons". Since then, I've never missed it, It's sooooooooo funny.

We now return you to your regular scheduled ranting, already in progress...

P.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, the NFL STILL can't tell time

60 minutes is _1_ HOUR NOT THREE!

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Jeff - Live sports is our friend. It prevents reruns.