What's new

Futurama returning?!?! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's still possible the two sides could reach an agreement, insiders say.
Translation: They're bargaining right now and the cast made it public to get some momentum on their side. And I wish them the best of luck because without them, there's no (watchable) show.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. The Simpsons go through that every few years when it's contract negotiation time.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately this account seems more conclusive but I hope it's wrong:
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...ew-voices.html
Like I said it would be suicide to try to bring this show back without the original cast. I also can't believe that Groening and co. would even want to do the show without them. There was even a joke on The Simpsons once where Flanders talked about in Cartoons you can replace the voice actors with other people and no one would no the difference, but he said it in a completely fake "Flanders" voice
And talk about Fox still just having no understanding of the audience for this show. The Futurama fans are very loyal and rabid and will not accept the change in the voice cast unless they can find people who can perfectly recreate the original voices and they're will be no room for error.
And the cast is dumb as well. I love Billy West and think he's the Mel Blanc of this era. But it's not like he's going to get plumb gigs outside of Futurama. He'll get commercial work being the Honey Nut Cheerios Bee and the yellow or whatever M&M, but it's not like he's going to get gigs in Pixar or Dreamworks animated films which most of the time go to bigger name celebrities. Same goes for DiMaggio and LaMarche. Well LaMarche does seem to get somewhat steady work, but it seems like mostly kid animated shows. Also, it seems from commentaries and other DVD features that the cast does genuinely enjoy doing the show. But bottom line is that Futurama is probably they best they're going to get these days. Katey Sagal is the one with the best legs to stand on here as she is likely to be able to get work in live action TV.
The irony there is that I could probably live if they recast Sagal and the one who does the voice for Amy Wong. Because if I had to choose, I would say those are the two least essential characters for me and Sagal only does Leela and just uses her regular voice for her. So it would not be the end of the world if they got someone else with a similar voice. You could say that West just does his regular voice for Fry, but it's too distinctive and perfect for that character. But, in addition, he does the Professor, Zapp Branigan (although it still saddens me that Zapp was very obviously meant for Phil Hartman) and Zoidberg among others. LaMarche does Calculon and couldn't live with a different voice for Calculon either. And there's just no way that DiMaggio as the voice of Bender could be replaced.
The sad thing is that if they replace the actors and the show inevitably fails, it will likely be the end of Futurama for good. And the executives will probably be scratching they're heads wondering why it failed when the DVD movies were successful.
Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:25 pm GMT
Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:28 pm GMT
Edited by WillG - 7/19/2009 at 10:38 pm GMT

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Stewie Griffin: "Jim Henson had a wait and see attitude...now we've got wrong sounding muppets..."

Swedish Chef: "You want some spaghetti? That's, like, my specialty and junk"

Kermit (slowly): "Yay..."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also can't believe that Groening and co. would even want to do the show without them.
I don't know for sure but I'd guess that they were probably already locked into their own deals and never really thought it would get to the point where the cast might not be back anyway.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that THR and others are all backing this up, that recasting will be announced at Comicon, I have only one thing to say:
epic_fail.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Quentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New casting = no sale for me.
Same here. I'm not one of those whiny 'fans' who complain about every aspect of the show and still continues to watch but I doubt I will even give episodes with different actors a chance. Normally, I'm not that close minded but the actors bring so much to those characters that there's just no point in watching for me. The fourth movie is a good closing point for the series anyway so, if they recast, that'll be the end of the show in my mind.

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I would tune in, curl up with a box of kleenex, and just have a good long cry :)

Seriously...as a fan with every DVD and listened to every commentary, there is no chance this will fly. i still hope and think, it's just one long negotiation.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Can't imagine that's true. I suspect the cast will be returning. The company just made the decision to resurrect the series - it doesn't follow that they'd want a new cast at this point.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am not sure how I feel about this. I really want to know more details about the disbute, but I know we will probably never know. If they are offering the actors less money, then I don't blame the actors for refusing to budge. But if the actors are asking for lots more, then I sort of understand why Fox would be hesitant. After all, being on comedy central, this is not going to do as well as a prime time slot on Fox would do.

It is really hard to know how I feel without all the facts.

I will be very angry and disappointed if they can't reach an agreement.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
There's no point in feeling anything about this. Like I said, until a comment is made otherwise by certain executive producers and/or voice actors, this is just posturing for contract negotiations just like with the Simpsons and shouldn't be taqken too seriosuly at this point.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just an update, the entire cast has signed for 26 eps..

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/07/good_news_everyone_--_futurama_is_saved.php

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That link leaves off the last paragraph of the story from The Toronto Star:

"A Fox spokesman, reacting to this story, insisted that only two of the cast have so far signed the deal, but later added that they expect to have the matter resolved by the end of the day."

Sounds good!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Variety and The Hollywood Reporter lied about the casts salary demands...
http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/futurama-cast-open-letter/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
June 24th.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/futurama/index.jhtml

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks