Futurama on Adult Swim censored?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Rudolph, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Last night, Adut Swim was showing the Futurama episode "The Deep South." Professor Farnsworth's classic line "Sweet Zombie Jesus" has the Jesus muted out. Thsi seriously pisses me off. This goes against the whole concept of adult swim.

2. Mythias

Mythias Auditioning

I noticed that same censor, though I thought the bleeped word was S*IT. Doesn't make sense to sensor Jesus. Must have been too controversial, seeing as how Jesus supposedly rose from the dead and was NOT a zombie (or maybe he was.)

Makes you think.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

CN censors any religious reference

4. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

CN sensors everything. I was watching Outlaw Star a few months ago and noticed the kid(forgot his name) was surprised at the other guy(forgot his name also) because he had something on his hand. When they showed his hand, i saw nothing, then it looked harder and saw they had censored the blood just in the middle. The blood on some of the sides were viweable, I just laughed. It looked like some half blind person used paint to try and censor it. WTF?!?! Thats plain sad. All adult swim shows are censored sadly=(.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

5. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There was an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force which was apparently censored. Master Shake was telling Meatwad that teeth are for gay people because why else would the Tooth Fairy come get your teeth, but "fairy" was bleeped. I don't think the folks at Williams Street censored it themselves because I doubt they would choose to start a joke in that direction if they knew they couldn't follow through with the punch line.

On the other hand, a recent episode of Futurama had a scene at a gym where various people were working out with various exercise equipment. There was one prominently featured machine called the "Kegelcizer" and the woman who was using it was sitting still while the whole stack of weights on the machine was lifting and dropping effortlessly.

Then there's the short "bumpers" between the shows that are styled after emergency first aid posters, one of which shows Sealab's Dr. Quinn performing an improper "Heimlich Maneuver" procedure on Debbie, if you know what I mean.

Whatever happened to Aquaman's lewd dancing in the grocery store, in front of the fast food drive-thru menu board, in the cow pasture, etc. ???

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The editing on their Cowboy Bebop broadcasts is INSANE! They dub over all the bad language and most of the blood... and this is a show that is on at 1:30am!

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Wasn't the original idea of Adult Swin to show stuff (mainly anime) uncensored?

10. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I don't know if the original purpose was to show just anime, but more adult orientated shows. Most likely you are right about the uncensored part. That is why I like TechTV's Anime Unleashed. They do show a dub of the show, but they make no edits in the main part of the show. They just edit out the ending songs. All the bad language and violence is there.

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

This drives me nuts and Cartoon Network isn't the only one (Noggin censors Daria all the time). Thankfully Futurama is coming out on DVD.

I wish we had an all adult Cartoon Network that would show unedited cartoons like Duckman and The Family Guy.

12. Michael St. Clair

Anime programs can use the word 'shit' on TechTV. 'Fuck' and full-frontal nudity is allowed on BBCA. And Cartoon Network, a cable channel, is censoring something late at night that ran over the air in primetime?

They've gotten pretty lenient with violence and nudity on Inu Yasha, but they they pull this?

I'll never understand some things.

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

They edited out the "Jesus" from the "Sweet Zombie Jesus" in another episode the other night (sun or mon). The professor said "Sweet Zombie" and the lips mouthed one more word.

Yeah, Jesus is a pretty bad word. Don't want our kids to learn that one.

Land of the free. Sweet Zombie Jesus.

/Mike