futurama is out on 28th Jan - but so far only in R2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Nov 27, 2001.

1. andrew markworthy

Before anyone says 'isn't this a regional dvd posting?' I'm putting it here in case R2 has jumped the gun and this heralds a multi-region release of the series.
    You can find details in the 'future releases' R2 section of:
    http://www.play.com/
    It's the whole of the first series on 3 discs, each episode with commentary tracks, plus deleted scenes and a few other goodies.

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    And Fox still seem to feel (as with the Simpsons) that in Britain the price should be double what the U.S. will be asked to pay.
    I hope they do produce a R1 as this will be so much cheaper. Also, someone asked whether or not Futurama was actually a 16:9 program instead of the 4:3 they have listed.
    I'm going to leave this one for now.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

No doubt "syndication issues" will keep this from a R1 release for another few years.

Gord

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

It's not that Fox is doing it just to piss the DVD community off. Sydication of TV shows in the U.S. is very big money. I thought I've heard numbers from sydication involving hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue for a studio. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, it would be forever before we'd see reruns.

5. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Here's better look:
    [​IMG]

6. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

That's disappointing. I can understand how syndication will hold it up though. What bugs me the most is how Futurama gets pre-empted by football all the time, so I end up missing a lot of the episodes.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Yeah! Go R2. R1 can bite my shiny metal ass!
    But seriously [​IMG], its a shame that these syndication issues still affect things years after the original releases. Do you think that this will become less problematic in the future? Will companies try to have get out clauses to allow DVD releases, or is the syndication dollar too powerful?

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I got the impression that at least Fox is trying to sign syndication deals that let DVDs come out earlier, but haven't seen anything on it. I expect the first show that might be saved from the syndication axe MIGHT be Angel, but no deals will be signed till the fall of this year on that show, and it won't reach syndication until fall 2004

9. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

I used the finger-longer and looked into the 'what if' machine and I see a region-free DVD player purchase in my future.....

10. Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory Agent

10 print "Home"

20 print "Sweet"

30 GOTO 10

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I recall Digital Bits had it down as a planned R1 release for sometime in 2002 a while ago. I can hold out a while in the hope it hits R1 by this time next year as I'd much rather pay £18 for the set instead of £31. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)