What's new

Futurama Direct to DVD movies (1 Viewer)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
I bought the entire TV series and if the quality match the TV series, I'll buy the movie(s) without hesitation.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
With the future release of the Futurama DVD Monster Robot Maniac Fun Collection, does this mean there's a good chance of Futurama coming back to tv?

Do you agree with the user comments about purchasing this DVD (even if you own every season already) to let FOX know that we want this back on the air?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I hope they sell through the roof and just astonish everyone. New shows, new comics, etc. I can not wait and FOX, you can bet you are getting my cash for these movies!!!!

Ryan

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree as well. The series ended on a great note and I have a feeling that the quality would dip a little if they kept it up. I wouldn't want it to end up like the Simpsons.

Definitely better as a direct to DVD movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
4 movies damn that rocks. Amazing no Simpsons movie has ever been made. Futurama is possibly the funniest animated series of all time. Its just so fun to watch. Every episode is filled with laughs.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Any updates on this??

Edit:Found this just now while looking up any updates "[The] Futurama project is a done deal! [...] There are 4 DVD movies that we'll start recording at the end of July or August. Full feature length FUTURAMA movies. Everybody is excited to get back together--as I am!Into the Future,Billy"

Haden

Supporting Actor
So basically we're getting another season (albeit shorter) of Futurama with these DVD movies. Better yet, its like having ongoing story arcs that each span 4 episodes. Hopefully the success of the DVD sales combined with good ratings on Comedy Central will motivate them to produce more. I just don't understand why Cartoon Network didn't pick this up instead. Seems like the ratings would be better there than Comedy Central. I hope CC doesn't end up burying it at some late nite 1am spot like it's done for other animated series that didn't play well initially.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Cartoon Network couldn't afford it.

Look at their original programming. By animation standards they are pretty simple compared to Futurama.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Two words: Justice League

I forget the actual figures (they are floating around somewhere in the archives of the Adult Swim board at ToonZone), but Justice League set the network back half of what Futurama episodes cost. Between the budget cuts for these DVDs and the fact it's far more valuable to CN than Justice League was, I'm sure they had the budget to pay for a sizable part of the movies, if not all of it. They simply got outbid. It's not that CN doesn't have the money, CC just has more.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Surprised to see that no one has commented on the new Futurama DVD, Bender's Big Score. I think the movie's great -- a glorious return for a show that was underrated from the beginning. The new movie has a riotous opening, a particularly savage taking apart of the forces that canceled the show and never gave it a chance to begin with.

Looking forward to the next three DVD movies, and I hope these guys get their wish and get to make feature films.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I have to second your rave, Sam. I loved loved loved "Bender's Big Score" and can't wait to watch it again. It has the same intricateness of plotting and heart that made me love the series so much.

And then there's Nibbler on a gerbil
to top things off.

Rafael.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was a great return of one of my favorite shows. Glad that we have 3 more to look forward to.

Anyone watch all the extras? The comic-con reading was hilarious. They had some great digs against Fox in that as well. Also the math lesson sure revealed just how geeky the writers of Futurama really are.

If you bought this from Best Buy you got an additional disc that contained 2 storyboard type displays of the first act and a 5 minute sneak peak at the next film. It looks like it takes place right after then end of Bender's Big Score and from the pieces they showed, it looks like it will be great as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I *loved* the movie ... and can't wait to view it again as well.

This thing even *felt* like a movie! I was afraid that it would seem more like a bunch of half-hour eps strung together. (Especially since its already been announced that the Futurama movies will eventually end up on Comedy Central in that fashion.)

This thing had that famous Futurama "irreverence" -- along with space battles, time travel paradoxes (out the gazoo!); and plenty of human pathos. (At first I couldn't figure out where the heck they were going with the Fry that lasted until 2012!)

Great Stuff!!

"All hail Hypnotoad!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks