What's new

Futurama Commentary Question... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone know if they got Lauren Tom, Katey Segal, Frank Welker, or other cast members to perform commentaries on future volumes?

I'm getting through Volume 3, and noticed they just added MAurice LAmarche and Tress McNeil to the list...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess someone from the UK would be the one to answer this. Volume 4 has already been released there.

TedT

Second Unit
I'm 3/4ths through the season 4 commentaries (thanks to my region free player!). Can't recall any of the other cast members are on there. Don't think so.

The "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" episode (Star Trek tribute) is HEAVILY edited on the commentary.

Great commentaries though. I really wish they would bring this series back.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

How so? Are comments cut out? Bleeped? I'm not sure what you mean, and of course, this is one of the episodes that many of us are looking forward to hearing commentary on.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Not sure what you mean, but the season 3 Simpsons commentaries were the first where the voice actors participated. The Futurama commentaries seem more lively but I think that's a product of the personalities in the room. John Dimagio and Billy West seemed to have a lot of fun during some of those tracks, while IMO Nancy Cartwright and Dan Castalenetta are the only ones that offer much from the cast on the Simpsons commentaries.

I enjoy the commentaries from both shows.

Mark_Davis

Grip
Being in UK IU can answer this one...

Nope... Tress and Maurice are added in Set 3 as you say but that is it... noone new is added in Set 4

TedT

Second Unit
The Futurama commentaries are WAY better than the Simpsons commentaries, in my opinion. They're funnier and have no problem making fun of themselves for being such geeks.

By HEAVILY edited, I mean there's several 3-4 minutes blocks of blank spaces. Highly unusual for this crowd doing the commentary. There's actually only about 13 minutes or so of commentary if I remember correctly on that episode. Maybe less. I'd have to listen to it again and time it to get the exact amount. It's frustrating to go through a 4 minute block of silence and then hear them come in laughing.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
That's too bad, Ted. I wonder what they possibly might have been talking about.

Futurama commentaries are the best I've ever heard. It's the only show in which I've been able to watch the shows themselves and then turn around and watch the same ones with commentaries back-to-back for hours and not get bored.

Someone said John DiMaggio might be the greatest commentarian of all time, but what about fellow voice actor Billy West and co-creator David X. Cohen? Cohen is the uber-geek, just chock full of great factoids! They truly remember anecdotes specific to the episodes themselves (these guys have vivid memories) whereas with other shows -- even the Simpsons -- you end up with a lot of broader comments because they can't ever remember the specifics.

Highly watchable commentaries. A real treat that we've got them with every episode.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I love it on set 3 where Matt Groening calls David Cohen on his cell phone during the commentary and they're in the same room, talking about how annoying they find John Damagio and he's also in the room laughing it was great.

Then when they had Maurice Billy and John do their Zoidbergs to see if the people could tell the difference. I figured out which one was the real one but Maurice does a good one also.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I usually consider myself good at identifying voices, but I thought the first zoidburg was the right one :).

Too bad they never got to the ' guess the professor' segment :).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I think Billy West did an intentionally bad Zoidberg during that segment just to foil everybody. It worked on me. I thought the other two sounded much more like Zoidy than West!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So.... when can we expect Volume 4 here in the US? I'm just about finished with Vol. 3 and I want more!

If they follow last year's model... Vol. 1 came in March '03, Vol. 2 in August; Vol. 3 came this March, so ... August?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
After making some more progress on the commentaries.. did anyone try that Email address David X Cohen gave out? I'm curious if it worked or not :).

If it does, I wonder if he regrets mentioning it? Heh...

Heh, BTW, after just getting through with Roswell that Ends Well, a cool joke they could have thrown in at the end was having a Government official come in to the Planet Express offices saying, "Welcome home... by the way, we want our 1,000 year old Microwave Dish back" :).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I think this is likely to be the case.

Actually, Tres does a pretty decent Zoidberg as well, I mean with her you can tell that its not the right Zoidberg, but if Zoidberg were a woman that would have been the perfect voice.

David Di

Grip
Futurama commentaries are the best I've ever heard. It's the only show in which I've been able to watch the shows themselves and then turn around and watch the same ones with commentaries back-to-back for hours and not get bored.

Hehe. I thought i was the only one that did that.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Resurecting an old topic. I guess that email David X Cohen gave out on the Disc was real, because I received a response :).

I gave him a different solution, all though not as disturbing as the one presented in the show, as to why Fry existed after his grandfather died :). I also asked a question as to how Farnsworth was related to fry....Was he decended from Yancy, or another member of the Fry familly?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Would you mind posting his response? Also, do you remember which disk it was that David X. Cohen gave out his e-mail address?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks