What's new

Futons for theater seating? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
In my quest for inexpensive theater seating I found this...

Two of these will run me about $700. Solid wood, 6" cushion, compartments in the tops of each end piece. Not a bad deal I suppose.

I want something that can seat up to 8 people. Reclining chairs are too big and I like the couch look and feel but "real" couches are too expensive so these seem to fit the budget and look nice as well.

I've searched the net for something that will meet my needs and is not too expensive and this seems about the best option.

Anyone else use'em?

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
No!!!! :)

I have a futon and although relatively cheap and adequate, the cushions flatten too much, too soon.

Do the sofa route.

Edit: I'm 250lbs so if you're not quite so heavy, maybe the cushion flattening would not be a problem for you.

Edit #2: What about getting the frame and then going to a custom foam manufacturer for the cushions? My bed is foam (custom sized) and I tell you, they last a long time. My last foam bed lasted 6 years. Maybe a foam pad (two sections I would guess for a futon) would work well?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
These are quoted as having "a springy sofa-feel, medium to Firm, 8" cotton with 5" of finger foam and steel innerspring coil unit."

Being that I nor any of my friends are over 6' or over 200 lbs cushion flattening should not be a major concern. But if they do over time, I'll either buy better ones or stuff these with foam. Either way, at the $700 for both I don't think I can do better.

I couldn't even find one sofa in all black for that price.

I realize these not the best, but they should be fine for sitting on for a couple of hours. Much more comfortable then the old / refurbed theater seats I once had or my current sofa bed couch that's in there.

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
I personally will be going with futons. Cheap, yet I find them extremely comfortable. I will be making the couch myself with foldable arm rests, positionable foot rests, and 2 bass shakers per sitting location, 1 in the seat and 1 in the foot rest. 8 shakers in total.

But first I have to finish my diy speakers, diy screen, and diy projector :D.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I too have a futon in my home theatre room. It was inexpensive, comfortable enough, and it seats 4, which is a plus.
The cushion flattening out can and will happen eventually, as mine does, but all you have to do is rotate it periodically (rotate the backrest to the seating cushion), and you'll be fine.
For the money, they are the best bet.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought one over the weekend and found it to be very comfortable, much better then I expected. The 8" cushion is much, much better then the 6", very worth the upgrade cost of $50. Several people sat in it over the weekend and I got nothing but compliments. I'm going back tonight to pick up another one.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Wow. I really like the look of that futon ... wish I had seen it before I bought mine.

Re the mattress flattening, if you rotate it about once/month (alternating flip and tumble type rotations) it helps.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've had several futons over the years and so long as you get the 8" mattress you'll be fine. They've very handy in quickly being able to be used as a bed when needed and its nice being able to wash the covers when the something gets spilled on them etc.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I did get the 8", even at that though, I'm not too worried about flattening. They won't see heavy use at all, very minimal.

I called the store yesterday morning to see if they had another in stock, "sure do, see me when you get here", says the sales guy. So, after work I headed on over only to find out that they were sold out. I was :angry: to say the least. Now, I have to wait until Thursday of this week and hope it comes in. I've got a big neighborhood movie night planned for New Years and I need the seating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks