1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fuse keeps blowing in DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TreyP, Jun 21, 2002.

1. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I have an RCA model# RC5910...
    I bought it a little over a year ago, so its out of warranty. It just one day all of a sudden wouldn't come on. I figured it was a fuse, so I opened it up, and sure enough, it was blown. Just under where the fuse was, it said: 1.0A250V. I guessed this meant it was a 1Amp 250Volt fuse. I went up to Radio Shack and bought a 4 pack of these fuses for like $2. They had 2 different kinds: Fast-Acting Fuses and Slow-(something?) Fuses. The guy at the store said that mine was the Fast-Acting. So I bring this home, I pop one in, then go to plug the DVD player in. As soon as the plug touches the outlet... the fuse blows instantly. I tried a 2nd fuse and the same thing happened. I have no idea why this is happening. Anyone got suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Trey

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Sounds like you have some exposed wire somewhere that is touching and blowing the fuse.

Another thing, don't switch out the fuses. Keep using the fast-blow fuses. If you switched to a slow-blow fuse, it might work, but it would probably cause more damage to the machine because it the fuse was too strong and wouldn't pop when it sensed a problem.

Bruce