What's new

Furnace service/repair question: (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The dope who previously owned my home or the dope who installed the furnace/AC snaked the AC condensation hose too far down the floor drain and caused the condensation water to back up and drain into my furnace.

It seems they couldn't figure out what the problem was and just caulked the s*it out of the point where the water was leaking... which only worked for a little while. I snipped about 14 inches off of the hose and it drains fine now. However.. some damage has been done. The fan motor looks rusty and I can smell a faint hint of gas near the furnace.

I don't know jack about furnaces and am leery of getting hosed by some contractor. Is there anything I can do to reduce my chances of getting raped financially?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
where was the water leaking? was it leaking down into the furnace?
my biggest concern would be corrosion or even a cracked heat exchanger, that can leak carbon monoxide into the house.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The water was leaking from where the hose connects to the ductwork and was leaking down into the furnace. As far as I can tell the majority of the water leaked into the front portion of the furnace that houses the blower motor. But, judging by the rust stains on the floor... it looks like this has been happening for some time.

I have a guy coming to look at it Tuesday. I just want to try and get a little educated prior to his visit so he doesn't try to sell me a new "spritzer valve" or something farcical.

I've heard a few horror stories from coworkers. I just hate getting service done on something that I know nothing about.. I feel so helpless.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's probably best to have him look at it and give you an estimate if you're really worried about it. there really isn't enough info given to help much, it really could range from nothing at all to very serious (new furnace)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Well, I've never heard anything bad about 'em, Dave. But, then again, I don't think that I've ever heard of them. (I do have some "trades" connections.)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Nope. Nost of them won't even give family discounts. :frowning: But, they don't hose folks, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks