Furious Blockbuster Customer #4567890

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Dec 23, 2001.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I'd switch to Netflix, but some major convincing is needed.
    Anyway, at my local blockbuster, the special edition of Bad Boys was available to rent. I rented it, and it didn't work, I returned it. I learned it was already on the defective list, and somehow ended up on the shelf. I was allowed to get another movie(Face/Off) and it never happened again.
    Well, that was 2 or 4 months ago. Well, 2 hours ago, my friend and I decided to go by Blockbuster on the way for pizza. I saw Bad Boys was on the shelf, and recalled the situation I had long ago. I thought that it was a different copy, so I got it. After we got back I popped the movie in, and the movie wouldn't play. Even after cleaning it, and trying to get it work on my computer(failed to work).
    So, with no id or blockbuster "rewards" card, I drove to the Blockbuster and tried to turn the copy in. After waiting ten minutes in a damn line, I got to the desk and was greeted by some bimbo with a high voice. I said that the movie wouldn't play and I would like to exchange it for another movie. I also told them it happened to me before, and I was angry that this was the second time. They said okay, but first I had to show my blockbuster card. This I did not have. After about 5 more minutes of arguing, I figured out they would not even give my money back. I told them to eat it, and walked out grumbling.
    Now, I can become a fanboy!
    Blockbuster Sucks!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Just had to get that off my chest.

2. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

This may quickly get moved to "Retail and Wholesale Vendors Feedback " but here is my take on things:
    I see many people complaining about Blockbuster and most of the stories are horror stories about repeated visits. I think everyone who is fed up should take action rather than being a repeat unsatisfied customer. Send a letter to Blockbuster Corporate Offices canceling your membership. Explain why. Share the horror stories with the people who take your money week after week. Explain why they will not be getting your money any more. Be courteous but be specific and firm. A well-written snail mail letter will go much further than e-mail.
    Will you get a form letter back? Probably. Will they cancel the membership? Maybe, but you will probably have to go to your local shop to do that. It starts with you. One by one they will see numbers drop. Don't think that you are an insignificant customer and "one vote won't make a difference". If everyone thinks this way your one vote won't make a difference.
    I know that Blockbuster is some people's only source of movies. If this is the case, I urge you to check out on of the online movie services. I chose www.rentmydvd.com over Netflix because I didn't get very good customer service from Netflix when I was asking about a membership. I also do not like their 'Full Screen over Wide Screen policy".
    Rentmydvd has my full support. Whenever I send customer service e-mail, I get a real person reply. A few weeks ago I rented 'Animal Factory' (Great movie BTW) and I found it had a 1/2 inch crack on the edge. I immediately e-mailed them and tried to watch the movie. About half way through it would not play anymore. I was bummed. The next day I got an apologetic e-mail back and they wanted to let me know the next movie on my Wishlist (C.H.U.D. :b ) had been sent to me (I'm on the two movie at a time plan and I already had my two movies out). A couple of hours later I got an e-mail letting me know they sent out a new copy of Animal Factory as well. This prompt service is what I come to expect and they did not let me down. That is a far cry from the service I got at Blockbuster.
    First, see if you have a 'Mom and Pop' video store in the area. Support them if you can. Secondly, let Blockbuster know why they will no longer get your money. Third, check out an Online rental service. Give rentmydvd a try. They have a Widescreen whenever possible policy and also a Unrated whenever possible policy.
    I'm in no way associated with Rentmydvd [​IMG] I'm just a very happy customer after being neglected so long by Blockbuster.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Neil Salstrom

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

4. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I will never shop at Blockbuster again. I've had so many bad experiences there, from what I consider overpriced late charges to claims that videos had never been returned. On the other hand, Hollywood has been a real nice place to shop at. They remember my name, my tastes in movies, are very compliant to special requests, and are forgiving when I return things slightly late. I don't know if every Hollywood is this good, but our neighborhood one is.