What's new

Funny yet sad 911 call (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Woman calls 911 from drive-thru
I can almost see her suing :rolleyes
Here is a transcript for those that don't want to download it:

Dispatcher: Sheriff's department, how can I help you?

Caller: Yeah, I'm over here at Burger King, right here in San Clemente--

Dispatcher: Mm-hmm.

Caller: --um, no, not San Clemente, I'm sorry. Um, I live in San Clemente. I'm in Laguna Niguel, I think that's where I'm at.

Dispatcher: Uh-huh.

Caller: I'm at a drive-thru right now.

Caller: I ordered my food three times. They're mopping the floor inside, and I understand they're busy. They're not even busy, OK, I've been the only car here. I asked them four different times to make me a Western Barbecue Burger. OK, they keep giving me a hamburger with lettuce, tomato and cheese, onions. And I said, I am not leaving.

Caller: I want a Western Burger. Because I just got my kids from tae kwon do; they're hungry. I'm on my way home, and I live in San Clemente.

Caller: OK, she gave me another hamburger. It's wrong. I said four times, I said, "I want it." She goes, "Can you go out and park in front?" I said, "No. I want my hamburger right." So then the lady came to the manager, or whoever she is--she came up and she said, um, "Did you want your money back?" And I said, "No. I want my hamburger. My kids are hungry, and I have to jump on the toll freeway [sic]." I said, "I am not leaving this spot," and I said I will call the police, because I want my Western Burger done right. Now is that so hard?

Dispatcher: OK, what exactly is it you want us to do for you?

Caller: Send an officer down here. I want them to make me the right--

Dispatcher: Ma'am, we're not going to go down there and enforce your Western Bacon Cheeseburger.

Caller: What am I supposed to do?

Dispatcher: This is between you and the manager. We're not going to go enforce how to make a hamburger. That's not a criminal issue. There's nothing criminal there.

Caller: So I just stand here--so I just sit here and block--

Dispatcher: You need to calmly and rationally speak to the manager and figure out what to do between you.

Caller: She did come up, and I said, "Can I please have my Western Burger?" She said, "I'm not dealing with it," and she walked away. Because they're mopping the floor and it's all full of suds, and they don't want to go through there, and--

Dispatcher: Ma'am, then I suggest you get your money back and go somewhere else. This is not a criminal issue. We can't go out there and make them make you a cheeseburger the way you want it.

Caller: Well, that is, that--you're supposed to be here to protect me.

Dispatcher: Well, what are we protecting you from, a wrong cheeseburger?

Caller: No. It's--

Dispatcher: Is this like, is this a harmful cheeseburger or something? I don't understand what you want us to do.

Caller: Well, just come down here! I'm not leaving!

Dispatcher: No, ma'am, I'm not sending the deputies down there over a cheeseburger! You need to go in there and act like an adult and either get your money back or go home.

Caller: I do not need to go. She is not acting like an adult herself. I'm sitting here in my car. I just want them to make my kid a Western Burger [unintelligible].

Dispatcher: Now this is what I suggest: I suggest you get your money back from the manager and you go on your way home.

Caller: OK.

Dispatcher: OK? Bye-bye.

Caller: No--

[click]

Colton

Supporting Actor
Next time I'm at McDonald's I'm going to call 911 to report a murder because their burgers are way too fattening. I want cops to protect me from killer food. I know my rights, dammit!

- Colton

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I wish they arrested her for tying up the 911 lines and possibly allowing someone else to get killed or murdered because the dispatcher was busy dealing with her immature b***ing. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

But, whatcha gonna do? That's still freaking funny!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
What's most amazing is that the caller honestly thought there was nothing wrong with calling 911 about poor service.

It's people like that that are the reason I could never be a cop... there just aren't enough bullets.

"I'm sorry ma'am.. but, you're just too stupid. I'm going to send an officer down to shoot you"

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Dispatcher: Ma’am, were not going to go down there and enforce your Western Bacon Cheeseburger.

Thanks for the laugh….that was great!!!

I was quickly sobered though remembering and contrasting the 911 call I just heard yesterday aired on the east coast feed; that of a five-yr old calling 911, to say Mommy and Daddy wouldn’t answer, and she thought there was a bullet on the floor.
I have always felt (although I am not for more government regulation or the unnecessary detail of municiple laws bloating the books) that there should be an assigned patrol car to follow ambulance/fire trucks; distributing tickets when drivers impede emergency vehicles right of way.

…and tickets sent via mail, for “food emergencies” on 911 lines.

Maybe a “common sense” course should be required for grades K-Grad School, 3-hrs credit, per calendar year.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
The son of a friend of ours cut an artery a few months ago and the mom couldn't get through to 911. As she didn't have a car, she finally had to call a friend and they drove to a fire station, where they immediately put the kid in an ambulance.

Stories like this are kind of funny in a way, but real people can die because of needless crap like this.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I was pretty skeptical upon first hearing the mp3. I can't imagine a 911 dispatcher wasting that much time with a caller like this or taking the time to be sarcastic back to her (though I admit that "is this a harmful cheeseburger or something?" is pretty funny). I expect that their training includes not only how to deal with difficult people, but how to dismiss non-emergency callers quickly.

However, it appears that the tape might be genuine. From the article:

Snopes is keeping the status of the story as Undetermined for now.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

I know somebody who used to work emergency dispatch. Shit like this actually make up the majority of 911 calls. They figured maybe 1/4th of everything was emergency related.

They have a list of people who call 911 regularly because they're bored/lonely.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's been pointed out on other boards that BK doesn't even make a "Western Bacon Cheeseburger." Carl's Jr. does. It's like complaining to the manager at Taco Bell that you didn't get your Chimichanga even they don't have them on the menu. ("What kind of Mexican restaurant can't make a chimichanga?")

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
In a past life, I developed and installed dispatcher workstations, and have spent countless hours observing and training police dispatchers while they use their phones and computer equipment. And you're right. They do receive excellent training in detecting and terminating 911 calls that never should have been made.

But if the lines are not busy, they will take the time and the opportunity to make the best of nonsense calls. And by the time these calls are over, nonsense callers will understand the meaning of the word "emergency," and they will understand--usually by way of dripping sarcasm--what morons they are.

And when the dispatcher hangs up after your call and clicks on the Mark button on her workstation, it's either because she thinks your life is in imminent danger, or its because she plans to enter your call in the "Moron Caller of the Day" competition at happy hour.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Mark? Wouldn't the Richard button be more suitable? Maybe just shorten it to 'Dick'.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I'm sure that call is real. I've been a 911 dispatcher at LAPD for more then 6 years and this type of call is common. I think we did a study a few years back and on Friday and Saturday nights more then 75% of 911 calls are noise complaints related to music and/or parties.

The sad thing is that (at least at LAPD) we are required to remain polite. We are also not allowed to "educate" 911 abusers on a 911 line. We are supposed to transfer them to non-emergency and then they can talk to another dispatcher and try to convince them to send the police. Here in LA, that usually means that all of a sudden the 'drive-thru BK employee now has a gun and you better send someone quick!'...

As for arresting them on 911 abuse charges, that's rare and usually only happens for the worst of the worst -- meaning the people who call 911 repeatedly for hours and refuse to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks