What's new

Funny story concerning my new sound system and impressions (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I got everything set up and mounted last weekend. Here's what I've got.
Onkyo 595
JBL NSP1 speaker set (4 N24's and 1 N-Center)
RCA 16 gauge wire for front runs
Home Depot 12 gauge wire for rear runs
The fronts are on some Standesign stands that I really like and the rears are mounted using the wall mounts included with the JBL set. The only problem I had with them was that the screw placement was wider than the studs so I could only ever get one pair of the screws to go into the studs, I guess it's alright though, it feels solid. I'll have pictures this weekend hopefully so I can get some positioning feedback. I had all the wiring done last weekend but didn't have the rears mounted and hadn't calibrated anything so this weekend I got the first real taste of what it would be like. Impressed to say the least (of course, going from the TV speakers I guess I would be :) ). This will definately hold me over for a while -- the only problem now is that the sound is "bigger" than the image on my 32" TV, hehe.
Anyway, to the funny story. I wanted to give my brother a little demo, but knew unless I found something with really discrete use of the surrounds that he'd just shrug it off. Funny thing is I found it in the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie" disc
eek.gif
Yeah, yeah, I know, but I like the score and I'm a sucker for corny "superhero" movies like this, hence my love for the He-Man movie.
Anyway, near the end they call their Zords and they fly toward the camera and stuff and have some nice pans into the rears that are really directional to the left or right. I queued up the scene and started it. He moaned, "I can't believe you bought this stupid movie!" Then they came flying by with all their surround glory. He looked behind him with this startled look on his face and watched the disc some more through the battle that ensues. I finally paused it and he said, "Damn, this thing even makes the Power Rangers cool!!"
laugh.gif

Just thought it was funny, guess you had to be there.
Can't wait until I get enough cash reserved to get a subwoofer! Thanks to everyone who helped me decide what to get by the way :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Next time try Chapter 25, "Aggressive Tendancies" of Star Trek:Insurrection A bit of humor and then drone-flyers attack. The sounds swirl around your speakers with special effects and music. This is my usual answer to "...but why do you need so many speakers?".

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,
How did you mount your L/R Mains to the speaker stands? I have N26's for my mains, but I'm a little reluctant to get speaker stands that I haven't seen in person. I'm still a newbie, as this is my first HT system. I was thinking about the stand design's like you chose, but as I said before I don't know how it will work out.......Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's a funny story...good job impressing someone with your system...makes it all worthwhile!
icon14.gif

btw - since you anchored one of the screws for your rear speaker into a stud, you should be okay, but i'd recommend you use some drywall screws to anchor the one.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Wil_J,
At the moment the speakers aren't actually attached to the stands. I've only been home on the weekends for the past few months so I've just left them off the stands and taken them off when I left and put them on the floor.
Anyway, I asked in another thread about mounting the speakers and someone recommened something called "BlueTac" (sp?) or a generic brand of that kind of gooie stuff. That's what I think it is. I'd put a link to the thread but the search isn't working at the moment.
I was also considering using velcro strips, but I think the tacky stuff might be better as it wouldn't cause the speakers to sit at an angle on the stands.
I generally like the stands. I haven't extended them though but it seems like they are pretty stable and they have a screw that tightens in the back to keep the extension from falling back in. The stands come with both spikes and pads for the bottom depending on which you need in your situation.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nice one
icon14.gif

3m sells a double sided "tape" that is basically a thin layer of sticky plastic. It will leave NO residue, but sticks like CEMENT. May have to look at a specialty store or a 3M distributor, but it is worth it. If you find a distributor, ask them for a free sample!
I used to use Metal Technology stands, and they came with a pre-cut piece of thick double sided foam that worked great.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm.....so, the search goes on then. Thanks Sean.........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks