What's new

Funny Signs (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was ordering take-out from Chili's last night and found their "To Go" parking signs to be amusing:

:D I applaud a business with a sense of humor.

p.s. Apparently this must be a big problem as they had video monitors in their "To Go" area of those spots. I guess so they can make sure those (who park there) are "To Go" customers.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Have you ever seen the signs on movie theaters announcing what movies are playing, and they seem to be a little "off"?

The first one I remember was a single screener that was playing a family oriented flick by day, and a drama by night. Unfortunately, stacking them one on top of the other gave you the idea that it was one movie, and it was bizarre:

Platoon
The Chipmunk Adventure

Another one was for a multiplex that did not give much thought to the placement of different titles:

Erin Brockovitch
Screwed
My Dog Skip

The latest was one I saw on the way out of town with my brothers a few months back, and it was also an odd grouping:

The Incredible
SpongeBob
National Treasure

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures of these marquees. What are these theaters trying to tell us?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i like this one.

i would find it funnier if it didnt have the "also, the bridge is out" part. but still funny.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
to each his own, they say :) i would find it funnier if it wasnt there, because the sign would have absolutely no reason to exist.

CJ

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Over the years I've collected several of these. I promise faithfully these are not made up and I really have seen them.

Closed for lunch 1.00-2.00.
[On the door of a cafe]

Open all weekend except Sundays.
[Advert for a local furniture store]

Kendal 12 miles.
[And on a road sign two miles closer to Kendal - a small Brit town in case you're wondering]
Kendal 14 miles.

Small Bore Shooting Society

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
In South Dakota I saw a bakery whose sign read "Meat and pasties," made even funnier by the fact that it was a hand-painted sign, so it wasn't like a light just burned out or something.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I always liked the one in my home town in Idaho. Next to a cemetary "Dead End". :D I'm sure that one exists all over, it's just too easy.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I thought this one looked familiar. Then I remembered seeing it on my trip to Washington. The only thing that made it funny to me was that vandals had spray painted out the "K".

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Joseph - a v. useful link. Just for further information - there is an earnest debate about where the ridge of pastry should be - on the side or on the top. Incidentally, the purpose of the ridge was not to eat it, but to use it to hold the pasty (bear in mind that miners would obviously have very dirty fingers). This lends credence to the argument that the ridge should be on the side of the pastry - it's the most sensible place to have it if you are going to hold the pasty with your fingertips. Also, Devon also has a reasonable claim to being to home of the pasty (pronounced 'past-ee' BTW, not 'pay-stee'). A sizeable chunk of my father's family come from Cornwall (one of them was an mining engineer working in the tin mines mentioned in the link). The tradition passed down was that pasties are made with shortcrust pastry, filled with cubed beef, swede, potatoes, onions, plenty of salt and pepper - and eaten cold with vinegar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks