What's new

funny onion article about dvd's (1 Viewer)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Just ask for GIFTCARDS. That way you get what you want, and you make life easier for people who don't know exactly what you want.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The parodies in the Onion are just dead-on. I love this. I am going to email the link to all my "I hate the black bars" friends.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
This was the header on my Christmas wish list - which was nothing but DVDs. My family has had to deal with this for 3 Christmases and 3 Birthdays in a row now:

If it says “(Widescreen)” after the title, that means there is a Full Screen version out there to avoid, so check the package carefully.

And after 3 years they know not to mess this up! :D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
That is some funny stuff. My mother refuses to buy me DVD's for Christmas, because she knows how particular I am. She likes to get me more important things, like clothes.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I was going to post this but thought (fortunately) to check to see if anybody else had done it first. I might have guessed somebody would throw it up here based on our avowed preference. :)

What a great article. The Onion, how you say, r0xx0rs.

cheers,
Phil

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
This is why I personally buy all my DVDs. I never ask relatives for DVDs. I'd rather be truly grateful for gifts than to feign grattitude for crap so as to spare someone's feelings. I love my family too much to place the burden of meeting my anal fanboy standards on their shoulders. Christmas and birthdays are much more relaxed and enjoyable that way.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Same here, I never ask for dvd's, the process is just too complicated as the onion article demonstrates ;).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm fortunate in that my parents (and my younger brothers, 13 and 17) understand what widescreen is. I'm not sure if they really prefer it or if they just don't want to listen to me complain about foolscreen, but I've always got the right DVD, and back in the day, the widescreen VHS when avaliable.

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
I have this vision of someone at a Wal-mart approaching people buying "fullscreen" versions of the movie and asking them to buy the widescreen instead, and then trade with him.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I have this vision of someone at a Wal-mart approaching people buying "fullscreen" versions of the movie and asking them to buy the widescreen instead, and then trade with him.
Unfortunately I ran into nearly the opposite thing a few weeks ago. A woman was asking somebody that she was shopping with if a $5.88 widescreen DVD could be "converted" to fullscreen using their DVD player?! :frowning:

BrianCC

Grip
Unfortunately I ran into nearly the opposite thing a few weeks ago. A woman was asking somebody that she was shopping with if a $5.88 widescreen DVD could be "converted" to fullscreen using their DVD player?!
Believe it or not, there are players out there with the following feature:

"EZ-View letter box eliminator eliminates the letterbox black bars on 4:3 TV sets" (from a Samsung model)

What a distressing development...

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
"EZ-View letter box eliminator eliminates the letterbox black bars on 4:3 TV sets" (from a Samsung model)

What a distressing development...
Actually, I think this is a great idea, though it has been around for some time on DVD players under the term "zoom". If every DVD player had this feature, then there would be no need for "full" screen DVDs, since all you have to do is zoom, and I can still buy my widescreen DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks