Funny Lady

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marco S, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Marco S

Marco S Agent

Nov 17, 2000
    Is the new FUNNY LADY DVD in stereo or mono. I mean, the film came out in 1975 and its a musical!!
  2. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Nov 1, 2000
    Funny Lady is int Dolby Digital 3.0. Stereo L/R and center channel.

A few points:

1. The box is incorrect. There is no fullscreen version (whicj I wouldn't have watched anyway).

2. There is no Funny Lady trailer, the only trailer is for For Pete's Sake. You would think they would have put Funny Girl and Funny Lady trailers on this.

3. The menu screens are gorgeous.

4. The insert is a pain in the ass to read. Silver color on pink, same as on the cover - which for the life of me I don't know why they didn't use the original cover art (yellow rose and diamond). I think both the cover art for Funny Girl and Funny Lady are the worst I've seen - not only for readability but aesthetics as well.

The film looks beautiful. 2.35:1 and Hi-Def transfer as well (that is if the cover is correct on the Hi-def transfer).

They have song highlights that take you to each song in the film.

Bonus features are pretty skimpy. I don't know why they didn't include the Funny Lady feature that I remember watching when the film first came out.

For a Barbra Streisand fan, this is a must buy for completing the Ray Stark/Barbra Streisand films. I remember when this film came out, reading that Barbra Streisand sent Ray Stark (who in real life is Fanny Brice's son-in-law), and autographed picture signed - 'Paid in full', referencing her obligations to her picture deals with Ray Stark.

As far as the son-in-law thing, if you review both films you can see the different tone of each film. Basically, Fanny Brice's daughter did not wish to have her mother or father look bad - so that is why Nick Arnstein appears as a man who basically couldn't handle his wives success. In actuallity, he was a total cad - but this is Hollywood!

The daughter basically never liked Billy Rose - so that is why he appears the way he does.
  3. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 1999
    bob kaplan
    Thank you Columbia for your release of the Streisand about WHAT'S UP DOC and the others???
  4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Feb 24, 1999
    let's all enjoy the fact that Fox is going to give us the Hello Dolly we've all been waiting for [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BTW, what's the OAR of What's Up Doc? The LD I have is full-frame 4x3 and no mention of "formatted for your TV" anywhere. It also looks properly framed at this aspect looks cropped and closed-in when I zoom to 1.78:1 on my 16x9 display (so I've taken to watcing in 4x3 windowbox mode).
  5. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

May 23, 1999
    What's Up Doc is a 1:85 film. The laserdisc is open matte . It was released before the industry started putting disclaimers on titles that had been altered