What's new

Funny: Independent music store owner buys his CDs at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
(and yes, I saw this at Fark.)
http://www.courierjournal.com/featur...020816pop.html
When Bruce Springsteen's new album "The Rising" went on sale a couple of weeks ago, John Timmons did what a lot of fans did. He rushed to the megastore Best Buy -- in this instance, via its Web site -- and bought the heavily hyped CD.
But he didn't stop at one. Timmons bought 150 copies.
Not to engage in some whacked-out form of musical evangelism but to sell in his own record store.
Timmons, owner of ear X-tacy in the Highlands, was taking advantage of a price war that is roiling the music industry these days. At $9.99 (shipping included), the Best Buy CD cost less than Timmons' distributor was charging, meaning he could sell it at a discount and make a profit.
"It's just another aspect of the industry that is totally insane," said Timmons, a longtime music retailer.
It's not the first time he has done this, and it probably won't be the last, as long as the huge stores continue to slash prices on their CDs. Timmons bought multiple copies of The Dave Matthews Band's latest release, "Busted Stuff," at Best Buy for the same $9.99 price as the Springsteen CD and resold them for $12.99.
"I think the music companies are desperate," music industry analyst Michael Nathanson told The Boston Globe. "This is what they have to do. It's not going to be pretty, but it's great for consumers."
No doubt about it: The big record labels are getting whacked worse than a turncoat on "The Sopranos." If the explosion of online file-swapping was the first blow, the lagging economy completed the double-whammy.
According to the Recording Industry Association of America, the labels' powerful lobbying arm, the number of albums shipped to stores dropped 10 percent from 2000 to 2001, from 1.08 billion to 969 million. This year isn't expected to be any better, hence the priceslashing.
The debut album from the Australian punk-pop band The Vines, for example, hit major stores at $6.99 -- an unheard-of price in an era where CDs had been inching toward the $20 mark. Circuit City, meanwhile, went even lower for soul singer Amerie, marking her new CD down to $5.99.
While the big chains are taking advantage of the industry's woes, independent retailers must hustle if they want to get in on it. That's because the labels are not always extending the deep discounts to the smaller stores, said Ben Jones, owner of Better Days Records.
"I still have to pay $12.65 to my distributor, whether I buy one copy or a thousand of them," said Jones, who has a store in the West End and another in the Highlands.
Even if Jones were to buy in bulk from Best Buy or Circuit City, simple arithmetic says he can't beat the big stores.
"This situation is almost impossible for us. It's just another way to put us (independent stores) out of business."
Yet the deep-discounting isn't entirely the doing of major labels. In some cases, it has as much to do with microwave ovens and big-screen TV sets as it does Jimmy Eat World or Ashanti. In the same way a car dealer hands out free hotdogs to lure you onto the lot, large chains use CDs as a way to attract potential buyers of big-ticket, high-profit appliances.
"They're using them as a loss-leader to sell refrigerators," Timmons said flatly. "They see music as a commodity, while we kind of depend on it for a livelihood."
Timmons, however, doesn't share Jones' dour assessment of the megastores' price-cutting. Even though he refuses to sell the Springsteen CD at a loss, he can still discount it thanks to Best Buy.
He believes his loyal customers appreciate that, citing his willingness to stock music by obscure artists outside the mainstream and his insistence on hiring knowledgable staffers as two things ear X-tacy customers are willing to pay for through prices higher than the chains'.
Still, he knows he must keep a wary eye on the marketplace.
"I want to create the image that, yeah, we have competitive prices as well. Selling CDs from $7.99 to $10.99 creates that perception that we're competing with the other guys."
Jones has responded by giving away more and more promotional material, such as T-shirts and posters, known in the industry as "swag," with select CDs.
"It's hard on us, but it's not the end. The independent guy is just going to have to be more savvy."
Meanwhile, Better Days also does a thriving trade in used CDs, a chunk of the business that the major labels all but ignore.
"I tell people who come in here looking for a new release to wait until we get it used, and I can sell it for half-price," Jones said. "You won't have it the first day it's out there, but it's one way to go."
The summer of the $6.99 CD makes for an interesting economic debate: Have the consumers finally won, or is this just a momentary aberration?
Timmons said he has long believed that the record industry can combat listener indifference and online piracy simply by lowering prices. While one could argue that people are willing to pay outrageous sums for sneakers and concert tickets, you can't easily rip those things off via the Internet.
"It's easier to sell a record to somebody for eight bucks than for 15 bucks. Someone is much more likely to take a chance on something they are unfamiliar with if it is selling for $7.99."
One hopeful sign is the success of The Vines' record, "Highly Evolved," which seems to have justified the deeply discounted price when it made its debut at No. 11 on Billboard's Hot 200 album chart. Another, said Timmons, is the willingness of some labels to cut the wholesale prices on older records in their back catalogs.
While he wants to believe the major labels have finally gotten that, Timmons said he's still not sure most record executives realize the level of discontent among the record bins.
"There are a lot of people in the record industry who have no idea what it's like to go to a record store and plop down $15 for something."
NP: Charlie Hunter - 4/27/2001 - Vienna, VA

MatS

Screenwriter
Funny: Independent music store owner buys his CDs at Best Buy
this is anything but funny and when the last of the great independent record stores disappear and you are left with nothing but the blue shirts you with finally realize this yourself.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
It is sad to think that people have to resort to something like this in order to survive. However, i am glad that prices have gone down. I've always thought that cd's have been overpriced. I've always been reluctant to buy cd's unless i've listened to them previously or i know i like a particular band. With the ushering in of mp3's, it was only inevitable that the industry was going to change. Many more independent stores will go out of business (as well as many popular chains). Here in Michigan, a popular chain called harmony house has gone out of business. The reason? They didn't lower their prices when the Best Buy's of the world did. It's a shame because these are the only places where you can buy local music or lesser known titles. I don't blame best buy or any other large retailer. It's just common sense that prices have to fall when there is less demand. I'm sure there are other independent owners who are doing the same thing as john timmons.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
CD prices have not gone down overall. Every Sunday, the Best Buy and Circuit City fliers in the newspaper have a select group of CDs advertised for $9.99, with an occasional disc at $6.99 or $7.99. The vast majority of these titles are hip-hop CDs that are destined for conversion to MP3. If you walk through Best Buy and Circuit City, you will see that the majority of CDs have not come down in price. I was in a Best Buy store tonight, and the Alison Krauss Forget About It CD and all Patricia Barber CDs were $14.99 each. ABBA The Definitive Collection (two CDs) was $24.99. Still too high. Then check CD prices at Barnes & Noble and Borders. Yuck. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks