Funny: Independent music store owner buys his CDs at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

(and yes, I saw this at Fark.)
    http://www.courierjournal.com/featur...020816pop.html

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

3. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

It is sad to think that people have to resort to something like this in order to survive. However, i am glad that prices have gone down. I've always thought that cd's have been overpriced. I've always been reluctant to buy cd's unless i've listened to them previously or i know i like a particular band. With the ushering in of mp3's, it was only inevitable that the industry was going to change. Many more independent stores will go out of business (as well as many popular chains). Here in Michigan, a popular chain called harmony house has gone out of business. The reason? They didn't lower their prices when the Best Buy's of the world did. It's a shame because these are the only places where you can buy local music or lesser known titles. I don't blame best buy or any other large retailer. It's just common sense that prices have to fall when there is less demand. I'm sure there are other independent owners who are doing the same thing as john timmons.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

CD prices have not gone down overall. Every Sunday, the Best Buy and Circuit City fliers in the newspaper have a select group of CDs advertised for $9.99, with an occasional disc at $6.99 or $7.99. The vast majority of these titles are hip-hop CDs that are destined for conversion to MP3. If you walk through Best Buy and Circuit City, you will see that the majority of CDs have not come down in price. I was in a Best Buy store tonight, and the Alison Krauss Forget About It CD and all Patricia Barber CDs were $14.99 each. ABBA The Definitive Collection (two CDs) was $24.99. Still too high. Then check CD prices at Barnes & Noble and Borders. Yuck. [​IMG]

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I agree with Keith, price reductions are for the most part token...[​IMG]