What's new

"Funny Girl" out on 10/23 (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Looks as if Columbia will be releasing "Funny Girl" October 23rd on DVD & VHS. This is the restored version and I believe it will include a longer version of the "Swan Lake" number.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Fabulous! This is the only film starring Barbra Streisand that I can stand. I sold my WS LD for over $200 many months ago thinking that it would be out by now. But I guess I can wait a while longer (like I got a choice).
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

George Fogel

Agent
I can't find any references to Funny Girl on DVD at my usual sources... where did you hear that it's being released on 10/23?
confused.gif

------------------

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, some Babs is better than none, but I want What's Up Doc and Owl and the Pussycat.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
ditto....but if ever Columbia does do a release of OWL AND THE.... PLEASE!!!....MAKE SURE IT IS NOT THE SAME AS THE TV version that was released by image on LD years ago. i would enjot this AND What's Up Doc? immensely!!!

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Is this for real? I also have not seen any announcements on any of the sites I frequent. I have seen announcements in the past that amount to nothing. I sure hope that this is finally true, coming up on the 35th anniversary!

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Talkinbroadway.com lists "Funny Girl" due in October in their Upcoming releases. This site has always been reliable in the past. The film is supposed to be released theatrically at the end of August (Much Like the restored "My Fair Lady") the video release will follow in October.
Don't know why DVD sites haven't released this news other than the studio asked them to wait.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News! I was so happy that Columbia released For Pete's Sake and I was hoping they would get to this film soon too.
I would also love to see Columbia release The Owl & the Pussycat on DVD. I had the laser of this film, but ended up selling it since it was P&S.
It's not even worth mentioning any hope for a What's Up Doc DVD release due to the deafness & blindness of it's studio.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Not to offend anyone, but so far this title has to win the prize for ugliest DVD cover of 2001.
The DVDFile has a scan of the cover for interested.

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
I must agree with Greg on this one. What is Columbia thinking ??? Although it does go with the God awfull cover on the recently released "FOR PETE'S SAKE."
Regards,
Lee
[Edited last by Lee Bombard on August 13, 2001 at 11:40 PM]

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
I like when they reproduce the original artwork from when the movie was released. From what is pictured it appears that this is what they have done, though the color that is pictured on DVDFile is new to me, but the graphics are right on.
From what was described by others here I was afraid they "contemporized the artwork for today's tastes", much like what MGM and and too many others do. Thankfully that is not the case, they stuck with the the 1968 artwork and for that Columbia should be credited!
I think it looks great! and SOOO excited that it will finally be released. We are in for a treat!
[Edited last by Brian W on August 14, 2001 at 10:34 AM]

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Actually, we have been watching the longer version of the Swan Lake number for over 30 years now. The original 70mm version featured the shorter Swan Lake number intercut with scenes of Nick Arnstein gambling. When the film went into general release in 35mm it was recut to restore the full routine and the scenes of Arnstein were removed so as not to interrupt the flow of the scene. You can still see where they have inserted the extra material if you watch closely because in several instances there is a single frame missing where they re-cut the negative to restore the footage.
P.S. Don't get too excited by the "Barbra In Movieland" featurette in the supplemental features. It's a behind-the-scenes promo showing the filming of the "Don't Rain On My Parade" sequence from the point of view of the old guy who night watches the train station where it was shot ! It's all silent footage with narration and Babs appears on camera for about 40 seconds throughout the whole 7 or 8 minutes. I used to own this gem on Super 8mm film.
[Edited last by Rob W on August 14, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I've have heard "The Swan" number was 20 minutes long before it was edited out of the film. I have seen alternate versions of this number, both with the gambling scenes intact, but it they aren't anywhere close to 20 minutes (though they seem like it). I heard the put the longer version in for the DVD - I could be wrong. I've also heard the soundtrack recorded for "Who Taught Her Everything She Knows" and "Pink Velvet Jail" but don't know if they ever got around to filming these or if they are included on the DVD as supplements. It would be great to see the Anne Francis scenes that were cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks