Funny Driver noise - vibration

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by aaron_d, Jan 4, 2005.

1. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

I have a quick question. I built wayne J's veritas and started to use them last week. One of my Mid drivers seems to be making a a funny noise. During play it is not as clear as the other mid range driver. There seems to be a bit of a raspy sound to it. Would this be because of something not being right in the crossover or is the driver defective. It sounds like a rasp or a vibration with in the sound. It is hard to explain.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Are you in position to swap the midranges between the 2 speakers? If the problem follows the suspected problematic midrange, then you know the problem is the midrange, otherwise, you might have some XO wiring issues.

3. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

That is what I planned on doing tonight, i am hoping it is the driver because i have no idea what it would be wrong with the crossover wiring, i double checked it a few times and all looked well.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sounds like a bad driver to me. The best way to tell is at low levels with a simple signal like male voice. If you’re hearing a rasping or buzzing sound, it’s the voice coil rubbing, which means the driver is toast.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

I changed the driver out this noon and no more strange sound. It definitly was the driver. How often do you get bad drivers? Oh well, the speakers sound amazing, so full and beautiful! [​IMG][​IMG]