What's new

Funny conversation I overheard at Best Buy. (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I was at BB yesterday looking through the DVD section, and I hear this women say to the guy she's with "I can't understand what all the hype is about this movie." She points to Lost In Trasnlation. "It was just out in the theaters, now it's on DVD, it's been nominated for an Oscar. I can't believe Murry even won. It sucks, worse movie ever made." The guy then asks her if she saw it and then she says "No. It just looks bad."

I couldn't believe it. She's ranting and raving about how bad it is and she never even saw it. Unbelievable. I was laughing my ass off. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Vlad

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i love it when people make judgement calls on something they don't even have first-hand experience with.

"do you like whatever"
"no it's gross..."
"have you tried it?"
"no...i just know i don't like it"

:rolleyes

and therein lies the problem with the entire human race! :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

I dunno, Ted...I've never been hit upside the head with an iron skillet, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't like it. :D

Jon

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Great Cthulhu I hope these people never accidently wander into a body piercing establishment. :rolleyes

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
So Ted
How was it????
(Ted is now beating himself senseless with a strange smile on his face)

DAMN YOU JON!
:D

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
All right, I just returned from the kitchen where I cracked myself on the noggin with a sturdy skillet.

For the record, I didn't care for it.

See, told ya I wouldn't like it!

Damn, I'm smart.

Jon

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a dimly projected Lost in Translation in the theater and thought it had its charm but wasn't overly impressed by it. The two I went with had far lesser opinion of it. That same night, I got home and saw the preview for the first time on TV and the color was so more vivid, and (for a dark movie) bright. It looked vastly different. Anyhow, I found the story started growing on me in the following few days and now I hold a very high opinion of it. I am looking forward to watching the DVD release at home (like I said, the picture quality at the theater was terrible). I'm very happy Murray got a good nod for his work - it was well deserved.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Me too, I find it hilarious. It happens all the time it appears if you read the hardware forums here in regards to audio equipment and accessories.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
uh-huh...that's what he's telling all of you.

after i was done he whispered something about semi-firm oranges and a sling shot....

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i sat through about and hour and fifteen minutes of the rambling, completely aimless movie that is "lost in translation". i could not find one thing about the movie that was interesting or notable. perhaps it got better towards the end, but if it takes someone an hour and fifteen minutes before they get to their point, then i really don't care what their point was.

kevin t

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It is very interesting how some films can breed both wild enthusiasm and harsh criticism... I'm frustrated with the backlash to this movie because it seemed so beautifully made to me - so perfectly paced and understated. I guess it goes to show that some kinds of cinema completely counteract what many people want out of a movie. There's an expectation for certain things to happen, for certain buttons to be pressed, and when they're not the movie is bashed. I could blame the misleading advertising campaigns for misplacing peoples' expectations, but in the end, the movie either moves you or it doesn't. So many different tastes in this world...

s!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nah, couldn't happen on a forum like this!

Just imagine a thread in our Movie Forum about a movie that isn't in the theaters even and nobody here has seen it, and the thread would contain more than 4 posts at most with opinions about the movie already. Let alone a heated debate. Nah.

Stupid, stupid woman!

Cees

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how the hell did a thread about best buy, and people having opinions on something they haven't seen, turn into a thread about people who may (or may not) have seen lost in translation? :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks