Funny Bose story

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JimHaskell, Jan 27, 2005.

1. JimHaskell

JimHaskell Extra

I was at Best Buy. A father and son were listening to speakers. They wanted something small for stereo listening. The salesman took them to Bose first (a cube and bass module set-up), and turned it way up. Next he went to some JBL bookshelf speakers and hit "the button."

The father and son had startled looks on their faces. Salesman says, "what do you think?"

The kid says, "This sounds so much better!"

The salesman say, "You thinkthis one sounds better????"

After some fumbling around, the salesman starts into, "Well, Bose is a different kind of sound ..."

I'm thinking, yeah, crappy!

Then he says to the kid, these (JBL's) just have more bass.

I'm thinking, that's pretty sad seeing how the Bose has a high tech "bass module."

The sound difference is obvious. The $150 or so bookshelf speakers sound better than the higher priced Bose speakers, yet the salesman is trying to convince them that Bose is better, implying that they don't understand what good sound is.

Now, what does the saleman care? He's not making commission. Either he's brain washed, or he owns Bose, and doesn't want to have to admit they stink.

I just had to laugh to myself.

[​IMG]

2. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Great story!

I say you ought to post it as a review on Amazon, they're loaded with obvious shill reviews for the Bose products and I just pity the poor suckers who buy this overpriced junk based on only that.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You mean I my JBL setup sounds worse then a $2k BOSE setup that uses 3" paper coned woofers?

4. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

I love to go to Best Buy. Especially to mock salespeople. Can't wait for the: "find anything you like?" phrase when I'm in there. The funniest one was when I asked for the DVD-A / SACD section and the salesperson asked me if I knew that these were "High Definition" (?) formats. We'll see how the BB guys set up their stories once blueray/hd-dvd hit the shelves...

5. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Sadly, in most cases, the employees may not know much about anything that they sell. They often confuse company propaganda with knowledge.

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Mikey: 3"? You wish! The cheap ones use 2.5" drivers, and the EXPENSIVE ones use 2" drivers!

Thankfully, I am not one of those people [​IMG]

7. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

I worked at Circuit City and you do learn alot of company propaganda. Its not that you dont know better its that you tell the coustomer what your taught to say. I used to try to get coustomers to go elsewhere for certian products though. People would come into Circuit City looking for studio monitors!!! Or monitor headphones for crying out loud. And I would tell the people of a nice shop in downtown nashville that has excellent gear at decent prices but usually i ended up selling them the crapy headphones that we sold. oh well that was a way off subject rant. And most coustomers are stuipd and annoying. And quite frankley we love messing around with people. or i did.

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

dont you guys have anything better to do?

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

BWHAHAHA!!!

Doesn't matter who you are addressing, but the answer is no way!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Nope not really. You can stand around or go mess with coustomers and the second is much more fun. In my department we had some anal retentave girl and some black dude that did all the work and then i just chilled lol. go figure.

11. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I love it..........go mess with the "coustomers".....looks like you'll be working at some B&M for a long time....haha

Would you like to Super-size that, sir? haha ....

Repeat after me....Would you li.....never mind!

12. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

"I love it..........go mess with the "coustomers".....looks like you'll be working at some B&M for a long time....haha

Would you like to Super-size that, sir? haha ....

Repeat after me....Would you li.....never mind!"

Let's see the assumptions made off your post:
    ADD, Stream of Consciousness Typing (No Filter), Superiority Complex, Sticky stuff on fingers or "." button,
    Definitely former Washington Post Editor, etc.

The point is posts like mine and yours are useless and do not help the HT community any.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I also have an interesting Best Buy / Bose story.

About a month and a half back, I was in my local BB store. They were obviously prepping for the the holiday/Christmas sales. They had many large home theater in a box boxes. In order to get these boxes out of the aisles, the boxes were stacked in the Bose listening area - making it virtually impossible for someone to get in and hear the speakers. Meanwhile, the listening stations for JBL, Athena and Klipsch were all wide open. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

You know Bose does sound better, three out of four dogs say so[​IMG]

15. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

Adil M......the point is, niether do most of the employees at these store. The point is, not always of coarse, but most of the time these employees would be just as "useful" at Mickey-D's.

Go back to your regularly scheduled CNN retoric dot-dot-dot I'll be over at FOX.

16. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

You weren't in the North Oklahoma City store were you? That is exactly what we did[​IMG] Clear areas for the speakers we want to sell, product stacked in the areas for the Bose/Sony Speakers.

17. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Sorry Bernie but You may want to check your grammar and spelling as well.

stores
    neither
    course
    rhetoric

Really, how hard is it to run a spell check? Especially if your making fun of someones spelling

18. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

This is off-topic, but:

Er, what's this about CNN and Fox?

Everyone knows the only thing approximating DECENT professional journalism on TV these days is BBC.

19. raoC

raoC Stunt Coordinator

just go to www.bestbuysux.org and read the workers part. Best buy people are nothing but crooks, even if they did know something about home audio they learn techniques to fool people into buying bose. I really do admire bose though. I mean their marketing strategy is amazing. Not releasing any of their specs and still having so many people buying them. I know at least among indian physicians if you dont have bose you are pretty much worthless. its really sad.

rao.

20. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

I had a friend who invited me over to his house once. This was like 10 years ago. He had those Bose bookshelf speakers on stands, I forgot what number they were, like 401's or whatever, they were like direct/reflecting, anyway, he also had a velodyne 8" sub, which he said he paid like 500 for, it was a big deal then, and he plays some music, and it sounded like sheeaht!! Horrible, and I couldn't say anything cause I didn't want to be rude ya know, but man, I still remember how bad it sounded, like no fidelity at all, it sound like there was a sock on top of the tweeter, like someone had their hand blocking the tweeter!! And then the bose cubes they have a bestbuy in the music sections, all you hear is "tinny" midrange and the 40hz bass, which kind of sounds like my altec lansing computer 2.1 system, but my altec sounds better, but no way can be compared to when I feed the computer over to the receiver, then you hear the extension on both the higher end and the sub below 50-45hz to the 25hz region. Bose policy is not to extend frequencies past 14khz or below 40hz, it's company policy!! bahahahahahahahaha!!....bahahahahahahahaha!![​IMG]