Funny: BestBuy.com SACD/CD/Cassette confusion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DamianA, Mar 17, 2003.

1. DamianA

DamianA Extra

Not sure if this would go here, sorry if it does not.
    OK.... here is the page in question:

http://www.bestbuy.com/mandm/Product...ic&ST=11161569

This is for David Bowie's album "Heathen" on SACD.

As you can see the price is $5.99... Very low for a(n) SACD.

I questioned this via e-mail and a phone call. Phone call said I ordered 2 SACDs

Here are the e-mails I been "bouncing" back and fourth with BestBuy.com Customer Service:

(1 Me)Comments: HI,
    I just rechecked my order and now I'm a bit confused.
    I need to make sure what I ordered is what was described on the web page I ordered from. I ordered 2 SACDs. The product description was of SACD but on the page it also said cassette. I need to know what I ordered.

Thanks,
    Damian

(2 Them) Subject: Re: CC Order Status

Damian,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about the status of your order.

We appreciate your concern about your order.

There appears to be conflicting information regarding this item. We will be researching this to see what is the correct information. The price of $5.99 leads me to believe it is a cassette. At this time, we can still cancel the order, please inform us as soon as possible if you want to cancel.

Once an order starts to process or is shipped we cannot cancel the order.

You can check the website for the David Bowie - Heathen (Limited
    Edition) (Special Packaging) CD. Go to link, http://www.bestbuy.com/mandm/Product...11163088&m=254

To determine when to expect an order, we encourage you to use the chart located online at http://www.bestbuy.com/infoCenter/Ge...Q/index.asp#5.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
    the Customer Care Team

(3 Me) Subject: RE: CC Order Status

Thank Your for the reply,
    I don't want to cancel the order if it is the SACD. That's what I want. If it's the tape I don't want it. I won't change the order unless I find out for sure what it is.
    Can you tell me EXACTLY what I ordered? When I find that out I'll decide what to do.

Thanks,
    Damian

(4 Them) Subject: Re: RE: CC Order Status

Damian,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about the format of Heathen.
    We appreciate your concern about not receiving the cassette.

To give you a complete and accurate response, a little research is necessary. One of our representatives is tracking this down and will be getting back to you shortly. If you need to contact us for an update, please reply to this e-mail and include your case number 3535541 in the subject line.

Have you seen our latest Hot Deals? For everything from notebooks and desktops to music and movies, find hot values on the products you need. To make sure you are up on the latest specials at BestBuy.com, just go to http://www.bestbuy.com/HotDeals/index.asp New offers are added constantly, so be sure to check and re-check our exciting Hot Deals.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve your issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

the Customer Care Team

(5 ME) Subject: RE: RE: CC Order Status

Any Updates?

(6 Them) Subject: Re: RE: RE: CC Order Status
    Damian,

We appreciate your concern about Heathen.

To give you a complete and accurate response, one of our representatives is tracking this down and will be getting back to you shortly.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve your issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

the Customer Care Team

(7 Me) Hi again,
    You have the SACD description (and picture) with the cassette price on one page. The Dig pack (limited edition) release with the standard CD price on another. And another Dig pack description with the SACD price on another page.

That's the problem. If you do a site search for "Heathen" by David Bowie (compare the pages) you will see what I mean. I found out the problem by just looking at the WebPages.

I appreciate your looking into this but I, as the consumer, should not have to do this kind of sleuthing for a product I ordered. Your webmaster confused the descriptions and prices on these pages.

I should not have to wait long for a resolution on such a simple mistake on your end.

Please "track this down" and resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks you for your time,
    Damian

Here is the Big Laugh:

(8 them) Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com!

Unfortunately, the following item(s) are still unavailable to be shipped, but we hope to be able to ship this item(s) to you soon.

If you prefer to cancel this item from your order, please contact our Customer Care representatives at [email protected] or call our Online Store help center toll-free at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Not ANY of the pages in question said its backordered... all state they ship in 2-3 days.

I thought it was funny.[​IMG]

2. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

What is the time frame between these emails?

Looks like they may of blew you off with the last email just to resolve the issue.

Paul

3. DamianA

DamianA Extra

Paul,
    It's within 2 hours of each other over 4 days.

Besides, how could they know the product is "unavailable" if they don't even know what it is?

All I can say is this is very unprofessional of them.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

It says cassette now.

5. DamianA

DamianA Extra

It said that before also. It also says SACD, with the picture and the track listing that is unique to the SACD.

I did call them (again) and inquired about this... they said the computers showed only 1 version and they are basing this order on price.

I did ask how it could be backordered if they don't know what it is and that EVERY version (4 versions) are all backordered.

They were all (everybody I talked to) confused.

I did find out that they "sent it down" to research to find out the problem. Also, that I have a “case” and an included note (with my case) that I DON’T want the tape… not that I DO want the SACD though.

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

they still make cassettes?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was thinking the same thing as Patrick. I didn't know that Heathen was released on cassette.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My bet is that you will get the cassette for $5.99. Perhaps you should listen to those sound clips and see if they show tape hiss. [​IMG]

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Damian,

Thank you for contacting the Home Theater Forum about the status of your Best Buy ordeal over Heathen.

We appreciate your concern over not knowing which version of the album you actually purchased.

Best wishes from David Lawson,
    David Lawson

10. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

11. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

How did you find this, anyways? This version doesn't seem to come up on BB's website if you do a search for Bowie and/or Heathen...

I haven't spend a ton of time in BB's stores, but I've never seen them sell cassettes. Do they?

Rob

12. DamianA

DamianA Extra

13. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks; I was searching a different way: If you do a search for all of David Bowie's albums for sale, this particular version of 'Heathen' isn't listed...

14. DamianA

DamianA Extra

After several phone calls and much e-mail they canceled the order.

I called to inquire WHAT FORMAT got canceled... still after all this they don't know.

Check the web pages... they no longer have ANY listing for Heathen by David Bowie in ANY format.

Just over a week ago the web site said all versions were in stock and ready to ship in 2-3 days. Now nothing.

(Snip)
    Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com.

One or more of the items that you've recently ordered have cancelled. Please take a moment to contact our Customer Care representatives by replying to this e-mail or by calling us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for further assistance.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. The details of your order are below.

Order Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Order Date: Mar 14, 2003
    Credit Card Used: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Shipped Items:
    Item Description Type Qty Web Price Total Status
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heathen CST 0 $5.99 $0.00 Cancelled

Item Subtotal: $0.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping & Handling: $0.00
    ------------------------------
    Order Total: $0.00