Funniest *unscripted* or *live* TV moments in history?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Was reading the other thread about funny TV moments but those focused on scripted material and the like.
    I'm talking about some live broadcast where something completely UNscripted happened that made you laugh. Sporting event, awards show, whatever.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Several years back, one of the local Dallas stations sent a reporter to West Texas during the first winter storm of the season. The poor reporter, in one of her first assignments, was broadcasting live on the 10:00pm news, outside with high winds that started to freeze her face...it was so cold that she started to slur her words.
    The studio anchor started to lose it. So did his co-anchor. So did I. [​IMG]
    The lead anchor had to apologize a couple of days later for appearing to be insensitive. And the next year, the field reporter got a similar assignment during the first winter storm of the season...but was stationed inside the warmth of the airport.
    Funny stuff...
    - Steve

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

100th US Open in GOlf, at Pebble Beach, 3rd day, Tiger Woods tees up on the 18th hole, hits the ball into the water and yells "Goddamn!! Fuck!!". Only time I've ever heard someone say fuck on network TV, made me laugh quite a bit...
    That's all I remember now, I bet others will remind me of funnier moments. [​IMG]
    /Mike

4. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I didn't see it live, but I don't think anyone can top the infamous exploding whale on the Oregon Coast. The first time I saw it I just about died laughing...[​IMG]

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Steve,

What Dallas station, and who was it (if you remember?)

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

One of the funniest things I can remember is an episode of SNL. I forget who the host was, but the skit was he was watching a ball game, and Chris Farley played an obnoxious fan.

Anywho, the part is Chris walks past the seated guy, trips, and spills his drink on the guy. But the lid would NOT come off of the drink. For a good 30 seconds, Farley, yelling in his trademark 'Oh my GOD!' style, is flopping around, tripping and tripping, shaking the lid, until finally he manually removes the lid, and pours it all over the poor guy, who is just laughing and laughing and laughing at this point.

At least, that's how I remember it.

7. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Crispin Glover kicking himself off the Letterman show.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    WFAA, Channel 8. Tracey Rowlett, now at CBS 11, was the anchor who lost it. The late Chip Moody was the co-anchor. Valerie (sp?) Williams was the newbie reporter.

- Steve

9. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

How about a time in Monday Night football. It was in the Houstan Astrodome in the fourth quarter and the game was a blow out. Well the camera zooms in on some person all alone in the nose bleed section and gave the camera the middle finger. Then one of the announsers goes, "He says, we're number 1" [​IMG] And they couldnt cover it up since there was ano 5 second delay.

10. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

I think the Carol Burnett Show was famous for unscripted events. It was a before my time but reruns and special episodes convinced me it is some of the funniest tv every shown.

Mike

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Well, back in the 50s and 60s when variety shows were on TV, Dinah Shore had a popular one. On one broadcast, she was singing when the scenery started falling down behind her. She never missed a beat and finished the song.
    Also, the famous Ed Ames tomahawk throw on the Johnny Carson Show.
    Showing my age![​IMG]

12. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I think one of the funniest moments of tv history has to be on "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson" I remember it was a New Year's Eve special and he had the late great diva herself Bette Davis.
    During the interview, Johnny asked her what her plans she had made for celebrating New Year's Eve, and she replied with the usual "friends, a little dinner, her cigarettes and champagne."
    Out of the blue, Johnny states "I don't drink champagne, it makes me fart."[​IMG]
    Without missing a beat. Bette Davis responds "That's a very good reason not to drink champagne."
    The audience was howling and Johnny Carson was completely embarressed, apologizing the everyone, but Bette Davis was completely unfazed by the whole thing.

13. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Got you. I know who you're talking about. [​IMG]

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

How about when Norm Macdonald mumbled "fuck" on SNL...that was classic.

15. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Definitely the funniest I remember is the Carol Burnett Show sketch where Tim Conway, as the little boy, is describing his trip to the zoo; seeing the siamese twin elephants joined at the trunk...

"And when one sneezed the other's eyes got this big."

Vicki Lawrence muttered something that had to be bleeped.

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Steve & Ike,

Channel 8 recently revisited that moment w/ Valerie Williams during a News 8 broadcast immediately following Chip Moody's death. For years I had told my wife about that moment and she finnally got to see it. It was as funny now as it was then!

Peace,

DM

17. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

During a recent Bears game, field reporter Bonnie Bernstein was interviewing coach Dick Jauron when commentator Dick Enberg joined in to ask Jauron a question. Bonnie said something like "Here's Dick Enberg...wow-- two Dicks!"

The local sports radio station was playing that one for weeks.

18. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

A few years back during the NHL All-Star Game, the TV commentator (I forget his name; Darren Pang something or other) was commenting about a great play by Eric Lindros. His dialogue went something like this:

You see Lindros make a move inside. First he "beats off" Chris Chelios (this is where Darren realizes he used the term "beats off" and begins to laugh) then he "beats off" Chris Pronger.

After the second "beats off" Darren was beyond making it obvious of his mess up! Very funny! :b

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    in 1983 after the phils beat the dodgers to get to the sereies a local reporter was in the locker room live on channel 10 here and asked al holland how he feels ..."i feel f&**ing great" was his exact words.

20. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I thought when they had the streaker at the Academy Awards while David Niven was presenting an award was pretty funny. It has been so long I can't remember his comment. But he never lost his composure.

Kenneth