What's new

funniest moments in TV history (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what are yours?
i was just thinking about this, and i'm sure it's been done before, but i've never had first hand experience with it. my top 3 would be (in no order):
Three's Comapny: Jack taking the tranquilizers
Cheers: the Kelly song
WKRP: the great Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaway.
i was trying to think of sustained moments of heavy laughter for show like Friends and Seinfeld, arguably the most successful sitcoms in the last decade, but i couldn't think of any :P

Bryan Farris

Agent
From Friends... IMHO, the biggest sustained laughter was during a second (or third) season episode where Rachel borrowed a book from Phoebe about her "spirit wind", or something silly. She then confronts Ross and asks "How can I grow if you won't let me blow?"
As far as all time, I think the record is still when Johnny Carson had a knife thrower on and almost got hit in the crotch. Something like a full minute and a half before composure was regained.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think the record is still when Johnny Carson had a knife thrower on and almost got hit in the crotch.
The guy was throwing tomahawks, and Carson was never in danger; the tomahawk pierced the crotch of a figure outlined on the target.
If we're talking about TV history, then you have to go back to Lucille Ball, Jack Benny and Sid Caesar. Lucy's famous bit with Ethel at the candy factory got incredibly sustained laughter (without the aid of a laugh track, AFAIK). Caesar routinely had studio audiences in such hysterics that he could barely finish the sketch.
M.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i liked the Lucy episode where she was in the gladiator-type races (horse pulling 2 wheeled cart) and the wheels started falling off... then there's the one where she was the weather girl on the morning show... those 2 stick out in my mind.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would nominate this moment from "Seinfeld", from the classic episode "The Contest":
After ogling a naked neighbor across the street from Jerry's apartment, he leaves. Seconds later, he returns, slams his money down on the counter, and says "I'm out!!".
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

David Oliver

Second Unit
Well I recall Carson doing Carnac and he holds the card up to his forhead (they are already a bit giddy from previous questions)..."Siss! Boom! Bah!!"...rip the end of the envelope, blow it open, remove the question..."Describe the sound of an exploding sheep." Johnny and Ed just lost it, I had tears in my eyes.
------------------
Go Packers!!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A scene from The Family Guy had me literally rolling on the floor, clutching my stomach, and wiping tears from my eyes. Peter faught a guy in a chicken suit. The whole bit was visual, so I can't explain it, but it went on for so long, and was just so stupid, that I competely lost it.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
The Carol Burnett Show, where Harvey Korman was a general, prince or some other rich guy, and Tim Conway was his butler. Tim couldn't get the doorknob open, got into some gyrations and ended up hanging by his crotch over the doorknob. Harvey turns around, starts to say his lines, looks at Conway, and busts up giggling uncontrolably. I loved it.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
they always lost it on the Carol Burnet show... especially with tim conway and harvey corman...what do you expect? :) Im just glad they never edited that out...
------------------
"As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."
My DVD List

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
A few that come to mind:
Michael Richards on 'Johnny Carson' demonstrating the rowing machine.
The Carol Burnett Show - Tim Conway talking about the "Siamese Elephant."
Dana Carvey playing "Massive Headwound Harry" on SNL and the dog starts eating his prosthetic head wound.
"Whose Line is it Anyway" - tie between;
1. The scene where the 2 audience members were to give sound effects - when Colin said he saw an elephant, the lady giving the sound effects 'mooed.'
2. When Ryan Stiles unveils "Dirty Harry" as played by Carol Channing.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
My all time favorite moment is Sherry Bobbins' final scene on the Simpsons. I'm not certain anything has ever made me laugh so hard. Even without Lisa and Homer's lines its still extremely funny.
Of course, there have been a number of South Park episodes that have had particularly disgustingly funny moments. Its too hard to pick one of those as the best.
Seinfeld was one where the joke always played as part of the whole show, so its hard for me to pick out particular scenes. But Susan's death, then the subsequent phone call by George put me on the floor each time I see it.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Aww yes, the Harvey Korman incidents. That's why we in improv call cracking up on stage "Kormanizing".
My funniest was Johnny Carson, doing Art Fern, the TeaTime Movie Guy. He is selling cemetary plots. He brings out an urn with a red light on top. He calls it the Hooker Urn. The ditzy blond asks him "What's a Hooker Urn?". He responds "About $75 a night, but that's not important now!"
And last night, on Weakest Link (a show I don't normally watch, but Ben Stein was on), Ben got the host to crack up. Something I don't think happens very often (even after the guy from Arliss goosed her).
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Whose Line is it Anyways:
They have this game where one of the players stands in front of a green screen, and two others sit in front of a moniter. The first person doesn't know what they're projecting onto the green screen, but must pretend he's "reporting live from the scene" as if he's a newscaster. He also has to guess where he is, using clues that the other two players give him.
The best version of this was when Colin Mochrie stood in front of the green screen, and the producers projected, Colin Mochrie! He was truly reporting live from the set of Whose Line Is It Anyway! It was a real riot! Even the two guys giving him clues couldn't keep a straight face!

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
For my wife and I, the funniest moment is from the Whose Line Is It Anyway outtake show.
During an audience participation scene, Wayne lifts a female audience member not realizing that he's also lifted up her skirt and everyone can see her underwear. That in itself was funny, but there were a couple of hoedowns after that in which the cast, especially Ryan kept singing about her underwear. It was priceless!!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I liked the one from WLIIA when Colin was in front of the green screen and reporting from a wrestling ring! I haven't seen the other one that was mentioned.
Another funny one was when two of the guys were acting like sports announcers and Colin and Ryan were getting ready in the bathroom. Some things you just have to see ...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, can we add episodes? Mine is Mary Tyler Moore's Chuckles the Clown. He was dressed as a peanut for a parade and an elephant decided that lunch was in order. The funeral - well lets just say that it was a classic.
Glenn

MikeM

Screenwriter
I'd have to go with a few:
WKRP - When "Venus Flytrap" and "Dr. Johnny Fever" are given a test live on the air to show how alcohol effects your reflexes. When they do the test, the more alcohol Johnny takes, the better his reactions become. It was classic.
Jackass - The Brad Pitt Abduction Scene. The real Brad Pitt goes in front of a line at the movie theater and makes his presence known. The hidden cameras show everyone oogle over the actual Brad Pitt in public! Then, in a staged event, a black van pulls up and proceeds to kidnap him in front of the unknowing public....another classic!
Late Night With David Letterman - This one is my all-time favorite. When Dave was on NBC, I used to watch his show religiously. Anyway, he had this old woman on who trained monkeys. She had these two monkeys in little purple dresses and things simulating a tea party. (Why? I have no idea.) Anyway, one of the real monkeys really hated Dave. Every time Dave got near the monkey it would hiss, shows its fangs and really scare the shit out of Dave. It was so funny to see him joking around and taunting this monkey until finally it snapped and went after him. He was terrified for real, and it only made it funnier!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Both were on Sanford and Son, and both were the only times I can remember where my jaw literally fell open. In one episode, Redd Foxx accidentally pulled off LaWanda Page's wig. It was obviously unplanned, but left in because it was so damn funny. She wore the wig to make herself look older, I believe, and underneath she had cornrows. When it came off, she ran off the set, and Redd and Demond Wilson nearly fell on the floor laughing.
The other instance was planned, but it was still shocking and drop-dead hilarious. I'll clean it up so as not to offend. In one episode, a man shows up claiming to be Lamont's real father. When he tells Esther he is Lamont's father, she says, "What did you say, n****r?!" The entire scene was hilarious, but that one line was a killer. Especially back then, when that word was NOT said on TV, even in a non-racist capacity.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I have to second that Late Night telecast with the monkey. I think the lady said something to the effect, "she likes you" and Dave said, "Yeah, she'd like to rip a vein out of my neck."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks