What's new

Pre-Order Funeral In Berlin (1966) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The blu-ray logo means nothing. Flip it over and look at the texture. It's a burned disc. Take a photo of it and post it here.

It's supposed to mean something. The logo is only supposed to be used for pressed Blu-ray discs, hence BD-R releases using the phrase "Blu-ray Disc" in place of the logo. Apparently, though, this has gone by the wayside, as blank BD-Rs have the blu-ray logo on them.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've heard it said that Amazon has contracted with at least some of the labels to manufacture DVD-R and BD-R releases themselves. Presumably because it's easier and more cost effective then Amazon going to the label everytime they need more discs. So, it's possible that if you order this from Amazon, you'll get a BD-R, if from another retailer who get orders them from Paramount, you'll get a BD.

However, I just checked Amazon's listing, and there's nothing about it being on "Recordable Media". I've checked a couple of titles, on either BD or DVD that I know are -Rs and there's no such description, so apparently Amazon has decided not to mention anything to that effect anymore. They used to.

Bull Moose describes it as Made on Demand, but they've never differentiated between burned or pressed in their descriptions. I know that I've bought at least one of each from them. I just noticed that their listing for this title said there are copies in several of their stores. I was at one of their stores that has it yesterday, but never thought to look for this.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Amazon has done it to me on newly issued CDs, too. The real deal will be available elsewhere, but I get a CD-R.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Reggie,

May I ask from whom you ordered? I ordered from Amazon and got a BD-R, much to my chagrin.
Reggie, where did you buy your copy?

I had to go and check because I've ordered discs from several places, not very much Amazon in these last few months because their shipping went haywire with the pandemic. My copy came from Bullmoose, pre-ordered some time ago. I have been getting most things from them because they ship fast and they are local to me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Amazon has done it to me on newly issued CDs, too. The real deal will be available elsewhere, but I get a CD-R.

Yes, it may be that because Amazon deals with a much higher volume they directly get burned media from one of the places that makes those discs. Smaller retailers may get their orders from somebody like Paramount or whomever is releasing it. I have been mostly avoiding Amazon as much as I can for media purchases. I much prefer to support small retailers over them even if I have to pay a couple extra dollars. Got to support small and local whenever possible to avoid a place like Amazon gobbling up everything.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Also ordered from Bullmoose. The store said their copy had the blu logo, so the disc should be pressed. Hope it's worth all the trouble. ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The blu-ray logo means nothing. Flip it over and look at the texture. It's a burned disc. Take a photo of it and post it here.

This should be corrected, as the Blu-ray logo on the packaging does indicate that the disc is pressed. So, if you are looking for the pressed disc option then look for that logo. All the burned discs I have purchased DO NOT have the Blu-ray logo on the packaging but rather have the wording "Blu-ray Disc" so this should be clear for people that are shopping for a disc that comes in both formats, pressed or BD-R. Interestingly, the original image in this thread shows a BD-R.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Mine must be the BD-R then, preordered from Amazon some time ago.

Clearly there are two versions of this release based on Bob's photos. He has a BD-R version and this is clear due to the wording on the packaging and the fact that the Blu-ray logo does not appear on it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I just tried ordering from Bull Moose. Fingers crossed.
Also ordered from Bullmoose. The store said their copy had the blu logo, so the disc should be pressed. Hope it's worth all the trouble. ;)

I would think you will both get the pressed disc version. That appears to be all Bullmoose has in stock. They are a great store with wonderful employees. So, you are supporting an excellent small business by purchasing from them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, the Bullmoose option now seems closed as Funeral in Berlin is out of stock there. There must have been a run on them when people discovered they had pressed discs. What will be interesting to see is if when they come back in stock there if Bullmoose gets another round of pressed discs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Actually, a small amount of research has uncovered that Amazon is the ONLY place selling BD-R's in this line. So, if you order from anywhere but Amazon you will get a pressed disc. That closes the book on that.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, the Bullmoose option now seems closed as Funeral in Berlin is out of stock there. There must have been a run on them when people discovered they had pressed discs. What will be interesting to see is if when they come back in stock there if Bullmoose gets another round of pressed discs.

Wow. That was quick. As I said earlier, I had been to their Keene, NH store on Wednesday, and neglected to look for this (thinking it was a BD-R only). I was planning to pop down to their Salem, NH store today, but there's no point now.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wow. That was quick. As I said earlier, I had been to their Keene, NH store on Wednesday, and neglected to look for this (thinking it was a BD-R only). I was planning to pop down to their Salem, NH store today, but there's no point now.

I'm wondering if Bullmoose will restock. What obviously happened was people made a run on the discs once they discovered that there was really a pressed option available. The word on these titles in this Paramount line is that Amazon is the only retailer to choose to make their own discs through CreateSpace hence why they are selling BD-Rs and everybody else is getting discs from Paramount and selling normal pressed discs. I guess this was announced and because Amazon is so huge it makes sense for them to make their own discs as needed.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here is a review of the disc from CineSavant. Mine will arrive in a couple of days.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's a nice review of the film, but just "a nice encoding" kind of lets him off the hook as far as scintillating PQ is concerned. But then Mr. Savant--or is it Mr. Cine?--isn't very discerning when it comes to "the original look of a film." He was a trailer editor at Cannon & MGM, but I think he has very little experience working with labs and certainly almost none when it comes to restoration. He's not a technical person. He's a very fine film essayist along the lines of Pauline Kael, and like her, his views are more literary than cinematic; which is great, but he's not a person to read for discovering the quality of a disc. Not to be unkind, but he has no idea what constitutes "a nice encoding'. He wrote the same about the first version of PATTON, the smeary, fuzzy degrained one. He said it was "excellent" . Except it wasn't. But I don't think he really pays attention to stuff like that. He's more interested in the film as a cultural and artistic object, which is perfectly fine. But his double take about the window boxing in the credits--"gee, why did someone squeeze them?" as if this is something new to Blu-Ray, was a serious head scratcher. I mean, it's the same on the DVD, as I watched it not so long ago. He reviewed the DVD when it came out, but I guess he forgot. I don't think he's someone who's interested in comparing the DVD to the Blu-ray. Clearly, this is going to be the same master as the DVD, with the same dirt and the same specs. I don't recall that much DNR, unlike say HATARI or DONOVAN'S REEF, so it should probably look pretty good, though the shadow detail in the night scenes, and there are lots of them in FUNERAL IN BERLIN, might be a bit underwhelming.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
It's a nice review of the film, but just "a nice encoding" kind of lets him off the hook as far as scintillating PQ is concerned. But then Mr. Savant--or is it Mr. Cine?--isn't very discerning when it comes to "the original look of a film." He was a trailer editor at Cannon & MGM, but I think he has very little experience working with labs and certainly almost none when it comes to restoration. He's not a technical person. He's a very fine film essayist along the lines of Pauline Kael, and like her, his views are more literary than cinematic; which is great, but he's not a person to read for discovering the quality of a disc. Not to be unkind, but he has no idea what constitutes "a nice encoding'. He wrote the same about the first version of PATTON, the smeary, fuzzy degrained one. He said it was "excellent" . Except it wasn't. But I don't think he really pays attention to stuff like that. He's more interested in the film as a cultural and artistic object, which is perfectly fine. But his double take about the window boxing in the credits--"gee, why did someone squeeze them?" as if this is something new to Blu-Ray, was a serious head scratcher. I mean, it's the same on the DVD, as I watched it not so long ago. He reviewed the DVD when it came out, but I guess he forgot. I don't think he's someone who's interested in comparing the DVD to the Blu-ray. Clearly, this is going to be the same master as the DVD, with the same dirt and the same specs. I don't recall that much DNR, unlike say HATARI or DONOVAN'S REEF, so it should probably look pretty good, though the shadow detail in the night scenes, and there are lots of them in FUNERAL IN BERLIN, might be a bit underwhelming.

wow !!

Jay*W

Second Unit
Congrats, Mr. Karloff. Mine is back ordered at Bull Moose, so I placed an order at MovieZyng.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks