What's new

Fundamental DVD Player/DVI Question (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
My ED plasma (480p) has a DVI hookup. I am wondering if I could get a better picture via DVI than via the component hookup I am using on my current 480i player (Pioneer DV-434).

All of the DVI capable players I have looked at upscale to HD resolution. I don't need my player upscaling just to have my display downconvert it back to 480p.

So my question is: are there any players out there that send out a 480p signal via DVI without upscaling?

Thanks,

Rob

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
All of the upscaling DVI players will pass 480p in addition to upscaled 720p and 1080i signals.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Andre is correct in regards to DVI passing 480p as well 720p and 1080i. Using DVI means sending the video signal digitally with any D/A and A/D conversions as done through component video. I don't know if the naked eye can see a difference but my guess is the picture would be better passing through digitally.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes probably you would be better off with a DVI output,as opposed the analog component,however you won't benefit from upscaling as your TV can't produce the resolution needed, and it would convert it back to the native resolution of the TV[480p],so if you get such player leave it in the 480p mode.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
So these machines have a switch (or menu setting) allowing you to specify 480p, 720p or 1080i?

Rob

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
On the Zenith there's a button that you push to upscale from 480p. You can only do it when the movie is stopped or the DVD tray is opened. Set it and forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks