1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Fundamental DVD Player/DVI Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Willey, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    My ED plasma (480p) has a DVI hookup. I am wondering if I could get a better picture via DVI than via the component hookup I am using on my current 480i player (Pioneer DV-434).

All of the DVI capable players I have looked at upscale to HD resolution. I don't need my player upscaling just to have my display downconvert it back to 480p.

So my question is: are there any players out there that send out a 480p signal via DVI without upscaling?

Thanks,

Rob

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

All of the upscaling DVI players will pass 480p in addition to upscaled 720p and 1080i signals.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Andre is correct in regards to DVI passing 480p as well 720p and 1080i. Using DVI means sending the video signal digitally with any D/A and A/D conversions as done through component video. I don't know if the naked eye can see a difference but my guess is the picture would be better passing through digitally.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes probably you would be better off with a DVI output,as opposed the analog component,however you won't benefit from upscaling as your TV can't produce the resolution needed, and it would convert it back to the native resolution of the TV[480p],so if you get such player leave it in the 480p mode.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    So these machines have a switch (or menu setting) allowing you to specify 480p, 720p or 1080i?

Rob

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

On the Zenith there's a button that you push to upscale from 480p. You can only do it when the movie is stopped or the DVD tray is opened. Set it and forget it.

7. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

set it and forget it, until the next time.[​IMG] [​IMG]