fun album alert: Southern Culture On The Skids' MOJO BOX CD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Southern Culture On The Skids' new album MOJO BOX doesn't have any cuts as funny as some you may have heard in the past but it's consistently pleasant from beginning to end. If you haven't heard them before or much, they're like the B-52's of southern rock, sort'a. They're a little twangy at times and sometimes not. They're a power trio, guitar, bass, and drums. Ocassionally they bring in a keyboardist or a horn but mostly it's just 1, 2, 3.

Several of the cuts including the first one SMILEY YEAH YEAH YEAH's rhythmn seems reminiscent of Creedence Clearwater Revival. I think alot of the tunes on this album owe somethin' to CCR. The second cut, the title cut, MOJO BOX starts with a heavy bass line alot like the PETER GUNN THEME but redefines that sound into a very funky R&B soundin' groove. The lyrics are the usual silly stuff. Dude needs that little extra edge from what's in the Mojo Box. It's my impression that what's actually in the Mojo Box is aftershave with deer spleen or somethin' to help score with the chicks??? [​IMG] My interpretation is certainly open to challenge!

Cut 3, DOUBLEWIDE, has some nice guitar that sounds like a cross of Dick Dale and the 5-52's. When you throw in the organ part on this one, the guys and gal sound rather B-52-ish on this one. They sound good doing it. It's certainly recommended listening before you choose your own mobile home!

'69 EL CAMINO gives a kuntry funk edge to a car song. It works for me. THE WET SPOT is the pure surf sound instumental with two guitar tracks criss crosssing each other sort'a at times. Possible inspiration: Dick Dale, hmnn.

SOULFUL GARAGE has bassist Mary Huff singing a duet with guitarist Rick Miller. This one seems very B-52-ish. It works for me. She doesn't sing as much on this one as some of the previous albums. She gets FIRE OF LOVE all to herself. She so reminds me of Kate Pierson of the B-52's. This cut reminds me of the B-52's with a much better guitarist sort'a...

SWAMP FOX is a purr-dy good I saw a girl in skimpy attire, my hormones are a'racin' song. "...swamp fox in a halter top..." THE SWEAT SPOT is a catchy little instrumental that sounds like one of those instrumental 60's bands like The T-Bones or Marketts, except with much better guitar playing. Obviously, I like the way Rick Miller plays.

To me, there's no dead cuts on this album. It sounds purr-dy good beginning to end. Miller's guitar carries the show. He's versitile. He drifts back and forth between so many sounds so effortlessly. There's nothin' as funny as some of the stuff on previous efforts like PLASTIC SEAT SWEAT or that song from the Sandra Bullock movie, "...my baby's liquored up and laquered down, she's got the biggest hair in town...", but I like bands with a comical edge...and Southern Culure On The Skids certainly has that goin' on. [​IMG] Boogie on guys and gal!

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Well that's purdy good fer me, always heard the name but dont have an album

Dont no if its still in print but u would like buck naked and the bare bottom boys only album.
    Buck was the nicest ok-ee who got killed trying to save his dog from a fuckin psycho. I saw his cd in a jukebox a couple of days ago and it kicked me in the head. Hope that psycho that killed him lives a 100 years and never gets out of the looney bin

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant R U habla'in 'bout John Hinkley & The Fickle Reapers and their giant hit BALM...or did I dream that? "...shotgun (!), my baby's got one..." If you's likes dis' album, also try PLASTIC SEAT SWEAT. You obviously need some culture. "..el disco es cultura...".[​IMG]

4. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    They're an experience in concert, launching fried chicken into the audience during "Eight Piece Box" and spoon-feeding banana pudding to the front row during, um, "Banana Pudding."

I own most of their catalog, and was sorely disappointed with Liquored Up And Lacquered Down, to the point where I wasn't actively anticipating their next release. Most reviews say this new album is a change of pace for them, however, so I'll definitely pick it up in the coming weeks.

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Me too. I bought this latest release as a completist (and perhaps an optimist). While I don't think it reaches the heights of Dirt Track Date, it is a solid SCotS album. I wish there had been a Mary Huff lead vocal track, though.

Brad

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Naw they were Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys.
    Big ole hat, boots and a plunger over his you know what

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Drano, oilpan, somethin' like that, eh, Grant![​IMG]

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    David & Brad, LUALD is one I never bought nor have I heard. I got the song itself on a soundtrack album. I do have DIRT TRACK DATE & PLASTIC SEAT SWEAT. MOJO BOX is a better album than either IMO, even though there's no songs as funny as some of the older ones. The music is consistently better, me thinks. Ya'all would proably like this new one despite the dearth of fried yard bird and dessert songs.

David, I saw them quite a few years back and I didn't get a snack with the show.[​IMG] That is f-u-n-n-y![​IMG]

9. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Rachael, you should get a copy of Ditch Diggin'. It's been many months since I listened to it, but I recall it being musically similar to Mojo Box. On the Skids is a pretty good album as well, although a few of the songs are a bit more "experimental", for lack of a better word.

I guess my off-the-cuff ranking would be something like this, although I admit that I haven't done a critical listen:
    Dirt Track Date
    Ditch Diggin'
    Mojo Box
    Plastic Seat Sweat
    On the Skids
    Liquored Up and Lacquered Down
    ---
    Girlfight (ranked low because it's only 6 songs)

I haven't heard Viva el Santo or whatever it's called, so I don't know where it would fit.

And now for a completely off the wall question, are you fans of SCotS also fans of The Dirty Dozen Brass Band? There's no good reason for it, but I mentally link these bands together. It's either because I discovered them both around the same time period or because they are both bands that I would hire for a party if I were a bazillionaire. [​IMG]

Brad

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brad, I have not heard the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Maybe sometime???[​IMG]

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Well I just picked up a copy of Dirt Track Date. It was $5 vs $17 for the Mojo Box....let you know after critical listening (should this be after a 6pack of PBR????)

12. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Let us know if you get up and boogie during Soul City.

Brad

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    More bananna pudding anyone...? Grant, I'm confident that DIRT TRACK DATE will remind you of your youth.[​IMG]