Fully HD Capable w/o additional receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark S T, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Mark S T

Mark S T Auditioning

To get Time Warner HDTV cable they say I need a Fully HD capable without the pruchase of an additional receiver. Pardon my ignorance, but most TVs say HD ready. Does that mean they won't work because they need an additional receiver? If that is true what sets are Fully Capable or what language instead of "HD ready" should I look for describing the TV? I don't recall seeing any that said Fully HD capable.

Thanks as always for all the expertise available in this forum. If only DVI would go away so I could buy my set tomorrow.

Mark

2. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

There are some 16X9 sets that have built in hd tuners for ota signals. They are specifically called hdtv's. All hd ready tv's need additional recievers to view hd. I thought that Time Warner provided you with their hd receiver, I don't think you can just plug a coax cable into a hdtv and be set. I may be wrong though. How would time warner be able to unscramble the premium channels without their decoder box?

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Ask what kind of outputs does the cable box deliver the HDTV from.
    To get HDTV out the box must have either component video or RF output.
    If there are component video jacks, any TV that takes both 1080i and 480p will do.
    THe S-video output jack will deliver only SDTV (480i NTSC). HDTV shows will be downconverted.
    Just because the cable box has an antenna coax output does not mean that HDTV is delivered from it without downconversion. If the RF output to TV, or antenna coax, does deliver HDTV as HDTV as well as regular SDTV channels, you need a TV with built in HDTV tuner or a separate standard HDTV set top box.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Don't worry, your HD ready set will work fine with TWC hd box....You do not need any additional receivers...

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

How much is the time warner HD box?

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

TWC charges the same monthly rate for their HD box as their digital cable box..I believe around 10 a month

9. Mark S T

Mark S T Auditioning

Thanks,for all the good information. Especially the part about not needing to worry about the TV being HD ready. I wondered why if I am on a waiting list for the set top box why it wouldn't have a receiver in it. I have also heard rumors that TW may make me subscribe to special pay per view channels in order to get the HFTV box. So we'll see.

10. Bryan Shelley

Bryan Shelley Auditioning

I just got the Time Warner HDTV cable box( Explorer 2000HD). You will need an hdtv ready tv, but You will not need your own tuner. I have'nt seen the new 3000 box yet, but the 2000 can be configured to output either Y Pb Pr or RGBhv. You'll have to let the techs at TWC know what inputs your set needs. good luck.