What's new

Full Throttle 2-Anyone else worried? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who is really worried about what Full Throttle 2 is going to become? The first game was spectacular, but everything I've read seems to say that the new one will be nothing like the first one. Sure, combat is cool, but will it actually be an adventure game? Escape from Monkey Island was good-let's see another stab at the genre.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
i hope its a adventure game. I miss that genre a lot. Someone has to bring it back

capt

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I never played a lot of adventure games but I did play and love full throttle. The game was awesome from beginning to end. Once I grabbed the bartenders nose ring I was hooked. I hope they make the sequel just a beefed up adventure game and don't overcomplicate it.

Peter O

Stunt Coordinator
I have some serious doubts about this game. First, the LucasArts of today has no relation to the one that gave us dozens of A+ titles in the mid 90s. Also, the press releases have described it as an "action/adventure" title, which leads me to belive that it will be yet another action game for the masses. Lastly, the actor who did the voice of Ben died a few years ago, I don't know who else could do the character justice.

"You know what would look better on your face? The bar!"

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Very worried. Pretty much everyone that was in charge of the great LucasArts Adventures is gone, so even if it was mostly a traditional Adventure, it may not be great (Escape from MI was only good, instead of great).

It may also become more of an action/adventure game, which could be good, but not quite the same.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I usually worry more about whether or not great games ever get a sequal at all, then trust the team to make it up to snuff if announced.

With so many great games coming out next couple of months (and then the beloved Halo 2), quite frankly I don't care if 80% of them suck. I'll just play 3-4 games out of that other 20% :)

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
It's been such a long time since the original was released and I think it should be included with the sequel for those you haven't had the chance to play it and for those who would like to play it again.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
It may also become more of an action/adventure game, which could be good, but not quite the same.
Well, I don't know how much more of an action/adventure hybrid they game could get. The adventure elements are really rather light when it's all said and done in the first one.

Love the climax at the end with that bad-ass chase. One of the best game ending sequences ever.

Shame to hear about the guy who did Ben's voice, I had no idea. I'll remain hopeful but not exuberant for this until it's released. If anybody brings adventure gaming back from the dead I don't expect it to be LucasArts OR Sierra, as both companies chopped out those who could make such games quite some time ago.

Look to Funcom and definitely Tierra, once they decide to finally go into commercial game making. Though their Sierra remakes right now are a godsend for those of us starved of good adventure games.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
i want more official spacequest games made but it will never happen

capt

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I feel like I missed out since I missed out on playing this legendary adventure game. I remember when it came out but, I don't think it was available on the Amiga, which was my choice of pc back in the early/mid 90's.

If it was, in fact, on the Amiga, I have no excuse.

As for LucasArts; having recently been playing Jedi Knight II, I think they are a mediocre games developer. That sums up my feelings for JKII. Anyhoo...

From all that I've read, Tim Schaffer is DA MAN behind Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, ect.

Doing a Full Throttle sequel without his heart/soul in the game, would be like doing a Populous game without Molyneux. Might be alright but it won't reach that rare triple "A" status that only certain guys/teams in this bizz can do. And when you're starting with a sequel to a game that reached that status, it makes the sequels short comings all that much more...short.

I'd say Lucas Arts have the odds against them.

...just my $0.02 worth.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I think this is a Cell shaded 3D platformer game. The Adventure games that the PC was so good at doing seem to be long gone. But the game still may be good, I remember trash talking Metroid Prime when I heard that it was going to be a FPS and when it came out I was pretty impressed. But I think I would still prefer a 2D side scroller version of Metroid.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The original came out on the PC in 1994. There never was an Amiga version, but I'd moved on to the PC by then anyway.

Lucasarts has the website for FT2 up already at http://www.lucasarts.com/products/hellonwheels/. I'm extremely worried - all the screenshots are of fighting or driving. I loved the original but I don't think this one will be anything like it.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I have high hopes for this game, I can only hope it's half of what the original was :)

Now, if only they would make another Quest for Glory, I'd be a happy man :b

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Whew! The bikes still look badass!!

Loved the first Full Throttle. I wish I could find it because it's been about 5 years since I've last played it. What a lot of fun. I hope they have a remote control car in this one too!

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jedi Knight II . . . mediocre? Man, you're a tough judge.

Technically, though, LucasArts didn't develop that title. Those duties fell to Raven.

I'm holding out hope for Full Throttle. LucasArts has been steadily pulling itself back from the precipice lately, publishing some solid and fun games, although nothing groundbreaking. And if anybody's even going to try to keep adventure gaming in any shape or form alive, LucasArts would be a candidate.

I enjoyed the last Monkey Island game, even if not as good as the first three, and I admired the company's gumption at even bringing it to PS2. Although Full Throttle 2 might not the "adventure" game we love and remember, it's still more than we've gotten lately. I fear the audience might not be around for those types of games anymore. They've gone the way of text-based adventures, I'm afraid -- and I loved those, too.

Now that I'm all nostalgic, I'm going to go dig up my copies of Monkey Island 1 and 2, Full Throttle, and Fate of Atlantis . . . I wonder if they will even run on WinXP? *sniff*

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they will even run on WinXP?
www.scummvm.org

It has a download that will run a number of classic LucasArts titles on today's machines. Full Throttle unfortunately is not completely supported yet because the program is designed to help run the old games that were written in SCUMM, but Full Throttle's action sequences were all done using the iNSANE system.

It works great though. I use it on my XP machine to play my old games, lots of fun.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks. I've already managed to find Fate of Atlantis . . . still the best Indy game yet.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I'm still partial to Last Crusade, mainly because the genius touch of Ron Gilbert graced it. There are parts of that game you can definitely tell he had a hand in, especially the CENSORED boxes that appear whenever Indy is changing uniforms, and when he changes back into his IndyWear(tm) you get the little burst from the theme song followed by him exclaiming "what was that?".

Great puzzles in Last Crusade too. Don't get me wrong, Fate's a great game, and in many ways superior. But Fate definitely falls apart in the Atlantis section, which for my money drags on far longer than it should.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'll certainly agree with you about Atlantis dragging. Sadly, I don't even have a copy of Crusade anymore, which I suppose means I'll have to go trolling on eBay.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
There's one very good reason to be worried: the screenshots are awful. It's as if they haven't even tried to replicate the style of the first game. The art in the original FT had a hard-edged look to it; these look like plasticine figures. But I'm not really that bothered since I didn't like the original much anyway -- great story, great voice acting, great cinematics, but geez, I blew through it in under an hour the first time through.

Also, for all those proclaiming that none of the old adventure game folks are still at Lucasarts, Sean Clark, Michael Stemmle and Hal Barwood are all still there (in fact, Clark is heading up FT2). Their recent work hasn't been up to past standards (Stemmle and Clark did Escape from Monkey Island and Barwood did Infernal Machine), but they are still responsible for some classics (Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max) and haven't jumped ship yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks