Full-Screen Sales Trend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy A Salas, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

This week's DVD sales chart from Video Business marks the unprecedented debut of *three* full-screen DVDs--Grease (No. 3), Big Fat Liar (No. 4) and Murder By Numbers (No. 10)--in the top 10.

But this is even more remarkable: Although Big Fat Liar is available only in full-screen, the widescreen versions of Grease and Murder By Numbers are not on Video Business' DVD sales chart (only the top 15 are listed online) at all.

That has never happened before, as far as I can recall. DVDs available in both versions often chart close together, and almost always with the widescreen ahead. Because of this revelation, I'm wondering if VB has changed its charting methods or made a mistake. (For example, Grease-Full Screen is No. 3, yet four of VB's merchants don't even carry it; six don't carry the FS Murder by Numbers.)

I need to check with VB to get the scoop. But, assuming this info is right, any comments on this full-screen showing?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well, I purchased the Widescreen version of Murder By Numbers, so I'm doing my part. Pretty discouraging to say the least.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

If I was Paramount, I'd be delighted, because in a few years, when all those suckers who bought the "foolscreen" version have HDTV widescreen sets, they can sell them the movie again.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I agree with Steve. I think fullscreen only releases are a scam by the studios to ensure future sales.

At least in these parts I seem to see more vendors stocking widescreen titles on their shelves. Which is a good thing.

Or is it a bad thing? Perhaps the reason I am seeing more widescreen titles is because all of the fullscreens have been bought already leaving the widescreens on the shelf! AAAAIIGGGHH!

5. Randy A Salas

6. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

This is why there shouldn't be separate discs for OAR and Pan & Scan. If we have to lose the extras for a Pan & Scan version on the same disc, so be it. At this rate we'll be getting Pan & scan only discs soon.

7. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    A real shame for Grease - the P&S is horrible by comparison. Most people buying it have no idea what they're missing.

9. JonBarnhill

JonBarnhill Auditioning

This does not surprise me as it was impossible to find a widescreen copy of Grease anywhere in my hometown. Usually this sort of thing is not a problem, but I noticed that Murder by Numbers was available in widescreen in only a couple stores as well. It's easy to stack the numbers when there is no choice.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I don't think scam is the proper word to be using. And we wonder why studio participation has dropped.
    The studio's are giving the people what they want... what some people want now. I am sure they (studios and retailers) will not be upset to sell the widescreen editions later to those who bought the P&S version. When I was in the round table discussion at Sony I also mentioned there would be people angry with them about having to buy widescreen editions later. I thought they should do more to educate consumers now.
    But that's only one of the problems. Let's not forget some people do know the difference, they just don't care, they want to fill their screen. As long as there is a market for it they will supply it. It's when they supply only one market (P&S only) that I get upset.
    [​IMG]

11. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I'm more likely to believe that VB is counting both releases together than to think that the fullscreen versions outsold the widescreen versions by that much. Even with a changing customer base, those seem too disproportionate.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That chart has to be a mistake; there's no way Grease especially would outsell in pan and scan with the widescreen version not even placing. (Why did they even BOTHER doing a pan and scan DVD when it looks so awful in pan and scan and most people already have the VHS?)
    I noticed at a Tower Records store they had all the widescreen Grease DVDs in anti-theft plastic cases, but the few pan-and-scan copies they had didn't have them, guess they figured nobody'd want to steal those! [​IMG]

13. Randy A Salas

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    There may be no error. None of my local Wal-Marts carry the OAR version of Grease, they all have the P&S only. It's easier to report favorable numbers if the deck is stacked in your favor.

15. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I have seen at my local Wal-Mart that the P&S copies of Scorpion King were nearly untouched while the Widescreen versions were nearly gone. With the widescreen television eventually getting more and more affordable and widespread, I have no fears that widescreen will become the dominate format.

It would seem to me that if the studios would include both versions on one dvd they could save a ton of money and please both camps.

16. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------
    I think fullscreen only releases are a scam by the studios to ensure future sales.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Scam, no. Shrewed marketing to maximize profit and sales over the long term, yes. Remember, the studios are primarily a business whose main goal is to make money for their shareholders. No one makes us buy thier product. No one makes us "double dip". I mean, how many times has the print version of "Lord of the Rings" been done. You have illustrated editions, paperbacks, annotated versions, one volume, three volume, leather bound, "collector's editions", etc, etc, etc. And guess what, people buy them.

17. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I purchased Grease at Circuit City because they had the best price ($18).

But at checkout the clerk asked "Are you sure you want the WideScreen?

Like it was infected by virus or something...

This resurgence of pan & scan is troubling, I was hoping it was gone for good (or at least limited to 'family' titles).

Frank

18. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Dammit. I never new Walmart held so much power! The closest Walmart to me is about 40 mintues away and for years, I've thought of them as the poor man's K-Mart. Just a cute li'l smiley face rolling back prices. But in truth, they are king.

And about the whole "they'll have to buy widescreen later" thing, you get what you pay for. I doubt that many people don't know the about widescreen and pan & scan. They just buy what they think best shows off their system.

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've been to three different Targets since Grease came out. None had any WS copies out, so I asked. Only one said they had gotten any and they had gotten four copies. The "fullscreen" version however was all over the place.