What's new

full screen movies on HDNet... How does it work? (1 Viewer)

DougGaertner

Auditioning
I just got this service a few days ago... I noticed that Paths of Glory will be on tomorrow night, it was shot in full screen. How do they usually display movies like this?

I really like what EPSN did with 4:3 content, sometimes it's an ambient blur or moving ESPN curtains.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Doug, I've had HDNET and HDnet movies for a while now, several years, and what I found is that you never know what they are going to broadcast. I saw THE KING AND I (beautiful hd transfer), unfortunately the Cinemascope image was cut down to 16:9, except for the credits. Some movies are in their original aspect ratio, and some aren't, some are beautiful high definition, and some are no better than VHS, though most are pretty good. I would assume if the film was in full screen, that's how they will show it but hopefully in HD. But I wouldn't put it past them to crop it to make it a "widescreen" version.

They have run Mutiny on the Bounty (62), My Fair Lady, Auntie Mame, and many others and they have been absolutely stunning. Then they ran Jesus Christ Superstar and some others and the dvd looked better.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
"Paths of Glory" shows with black bars on the side of the screen to preserve the OAR. HDnet movies is very good at preserving OAR all of the time. Its sister network HDnet is not, and the two INHD networks I get also does not preserve OAR. I pay a package price for all four networks, but the only one I care about is HDNet movies.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
HDnet movies is not OAR all the time. Case in point: King and I, cinemscope size, shown with the credits in full cinemascope and the rest of the movie in 16:9, cutting off the sides. There have been others. I will say that most of the time, it IS the correct ratio, but not all the time.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think tubes are susceptible as well, just not LCDs. I watch 4:3 material in 4:3, but I think it is a good idea to watch a variety of material to avoid any chance of burn-in. In fact, some will watch non-critical 4:3 material in stretch mode just to be safe.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I haven't seen that one on HDNet Movies. Maybe it was on when they first started, but in the past year or so they've been all OAR.

INHD and INHD2 crop 2.35 movies cinsistently, and I never see any movies on HDNet, but HDNet movies has been very good with OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks