Full range surround or not ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kostas, Oct 24, 2003.

1. kostas

kostas Auditioning

Need help with the following dilema !

I'm planning my new cinema and have the following problem !

Theater will play in a THX ULTRA 2 set-up with either parasound halo or yamaha dsp-z9 , with about 11-14 speakers (all JBL TiK series), which configuration should be used ?

If moneywise is affordable should all speakers be full range or souround's shouldn't be ?

Basic idea is having Tik10 as main left and right, ti6 as front center and rear center, ti6 as surround, and all the rest speakers ti2!

any help is appreciated

kostas

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

11 to 14 speakers? You have 8 ti2's? Is this a full size, 300 seat theater? Why would you need/want all those speakers? It will cost you a small fortune in amplifiers alone.

Not much help with your question, though. I think the surround channels carry little bass information. The bass is handled by the subwoofer (the .1 channel).

3. Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols Stunt Coordinator

To have a true THX setup, one would have to have full range surrounds. As your reciever is THX certified, it is sending full range signals to your surrounds, unless you manually adjust the crossovers in the reciever.

Personally, Id just go with the full range. Why cheap out at the last second when everything else you have is top notch?

I heartily agree with James though.... why so many speakers, and what are the placements going to be like?

If tehy are not required, eliminate them, and get the better surrounds. [​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Since you are contemplating spending in excess of $15,000 on speakers alone—and possibly another 10,000 if you expanded to full range everywhere I would consult a professional.

I have not heard these speakers, nor do I know anyone who has, but the specs on the Ti2 would seem to be more than adequate for surround purposes. The Ti6 is no doubt overkill for a rear center and for the front center it seems a bit odd to choose a 3 1/2 foot speaker. Why not select their center speaker.

As James has already indicated you are going to need to spend another $10,000 or so on amplification. Plus you have not indicated what you will do for a subwoofer.

With this much money to spend on audio gear, I’m curious as to why you chose this series. I’ve not heard them, but are they really this good?

For this money, I’d consider a lot fewer speakers of individual higher quality.

But in any case, go see a pro if you have the cash and desire.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

None of these speakers is truly full range, if you consider full-range to be flat down to 20 hz.

6. kostas

kostas Auditioning

Hi everyone

Must clarify some things, since I must have given the wrong impression to many people.

Frst of all having done some reading about THX and new specs, I think that all things lean towards 9:1 systems. If Yamaha has adopted that configuration in her new model DSP-Z9 most propably everyone else will follow.(Allready Parasound's HALO gives 9:3 !!!!!)

Now apart from the standard configuration 5:1 all the other speakers exist first to cover the third dimension which is the height (placed front left and right higher than all the speakers in the front set-up ) and secondly to give better rear effect since they use two rear center's.
    Anyway that's what I have read.(So setting up an THX ULTRA 2 is not about covering bigger rooms but having better separation of sound zones.)

All speakers are used by decoding information from 5:1 DD dvd's.

Also I mentioned JBLTikbe speaker series which I can get in extremely low price's, thats why I mention that model.(I mean realy low !!!!!!!)

Now I don't own millions but I would like to set a nice home theater. if all speakers don't cost more than 15,000 US dollar isn't that a good deal ?

So problem remains, if you can use the above series which combination would you suggest?

Where I live there are no professional audio-video shops, and all sub's are from the same company.

Amplification is not a problem since Yamaha gives 7X170 and the Mcintosh (which I allready own) gives 6x100 ( normal mode ).

thanx for all the replies

kostas