Full Range speaker and DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

If you do not have full range speakers for all 5 channels is it even worth buying DVD Audio or SACD unless the player has bass managment?

seems like asimple question.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

If you add-on the Outlaw Audio ICBM, you get better bass management than many of the receivers or preamp/processors anyway, so it is well worth the expenditure in $$$ IMO.

Regards,

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

It will ne interesting tonight to here this with no base management, before I commit to it spending $1500 or so on a player I just would like to hear it in my house.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The ICBM is only $250. If you're already spending $1500 on a player only then $250 and say $75 for extra cables should be a no brainer. DVD-A and SACD both sound fantastic. If you love music at least one of them is worth a look.

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I wish I was spending $1500 at this point, I am starting cheap and then if I like it I will spend some real cash. Unfortunatley people are telling me without full range speakers and bass management that it will not be an enjoyable experience.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ok, I read your post as if you were saying that $1500 was your budget. [​IMG] I listened to DVD-A with no bass management for a while and IMO it's not worth the trouble with bookshelf speakers.

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Bookshelf speakers, so if you have Paradigm ADP's you would be in trouble?

I am upgrading my speakers, do you think 4 Pardigm Studio 40's would be sufficient?

What would you recomend for a speaker setup?

8. Gary Hudson

Gary Hudson Auditioning

I haven't tried sacd yet but I would say yes on dvd-audio, at least on the multichannel mode. The subwoofer still gets a bass signal and dvd-audio sounds fantastic on my setup. I have a five satellite/subwoofer combo. The icbm would sound even better I believe.

G.

9. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

The ICBM is only $250. If you're already spending $1500 on a player only then $250 and say $75 for extra cables should be a no brainer. DVD-A and SACD both sound fantastic. If you love music at least one of them is worth a look.

10. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I don't think you absolutely have to have 5 full range speakers to enjoy SACD or DVDA. Having lived with SACD for a couple of weeks now, I must say that I really enjoy the format with my current set-up of Paradigm Monitor 5s, CC-170 and Atoms ( I also have a sub). I just added a DVDA player today and have only one title (Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now) so I can't really make an educated judgement for DVDA, but with this disc, I can say that Joni sounds very good indeed. I think a lot of it will boil down to the kind of multi-channel mixes you like. Frankly, I prefer a full and deep soundstage in front of me--not all SACD or DVDA mixes are the same--so if I'm getting an incomplete signal from the rear surrounds, it doesn't really bother me. I'm happy enough with the formats as they are with the limited bass management that my Sony SACD player offers and the zero bass management with DVDA, but I'm DEFINITELY adding an ICBM in the near future. The way I see it, the quality of the experience can only improve from here--and that's a mouth-watering prospect. With the prices of entry-level DVDA players these days, and with a good return policy in hand, you can try out DVDA and SACD with little risk and a lot of potential gain.

11. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

12. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Jaleel,

I don't see why purchasing an entry-level SACD or DVDA player should qualify me and others as "keeping up with the Joneses" or trying to stay with the in-crowd--I don't personally know ANYONE who has either SACD or DVDA at the moment (this excludes everyone on this forum, none of whom I would qualify as someone I "personally" know). Yes, the lack of bass management in these players is a flaw--I would suggest that it's more of a compromise. For $250 (or to be more accurate, th $179 that I paid for my SACD player) do you expect to get everything???The ability of these players to even offer decoding of SACD/DVDA is the very definition of ENTRY-LEVEL. To me, the money I paid for my player was a fair amount to get a taste of what SACD offers--I certainly don't think it's the be all and end all of the SACD experience. If you think that the prices of players are not fair, given what you see as flaws in their design or implementation, then that's your prerogative and you have your right to vote with your wallet. There's no need to insult or attack others who've decided differently.

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Although I've gotten into SACD, I've avoided DVD-A to this point due to what appears to be the ludicrous lack of any bass management whatsover (do most people actually have "large" speakers all around?).

I have begun looking at that ICBM, though, and although I've hesitated purchase almost on principal also (seems I shouldn't have to buy such a thing), I've begun to wonder if the bass management schemes eventually incorporated into players/receivers will be anywhere near as flexible or sensible as the ICBM's appears to be. I'm guessing they won't, which makes the Outlaw piece even more attractive as it won't be obsoleted anytime soon.

14. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed my experience with SACD and DVDA so far with my Klipsch bookshelfs.

15. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

If you have heard a good SACD or DVD-a disc, you would realize that there is much more to it and that it has NOTHING to do with "keeping up with the jones's", infact my friends (Jones's) aren't even audio people, they wouldn't have a clue what SACD even is.

16. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

17. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I was reading on another forum that the manufactures of the players have no inclination to add serious processing for bass management to the player and prefer that the processor handle the managment of 6 channel, so in other words they want to force it into a receiver/pre pro upgrade. How does that make everyone feel?

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

19. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The ICBM is not limited to SACD and DVD-A. It can be used with any system with a preamp out and a power amp in. Anyone using separates or a receiver with the appropriate pre-out/post in loop, or someone using a separate amp for the fronts can take advantage of the ICBM's potential. I use mine for all bass management except time delayed Dolby Digital. My rears in DD are bass redirected by the receiver to accomomodate time alignment. However, for DTS and DVD-A as well as analog in the ICBM does all other bass management, and the flexibility is more than just about any receiver or pre/pro. I can set my crossover on the center as different than that of the mains, etc. I find the ICBM to be a great addition.