full range drivers for rear surround?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stephen Matthew, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew Stunt Coordinator

Ive been looking into making some small wall mount cabinets for rear surround but have had trouble finding drivers that have a wide frequency response that will suit my needs.... since my mains and center are 4 ohms, i have considered using some 3.5" or 4" coaxial car audio speakers.. Other than those, i have found a few drivers from Tang Band that are fairly flat in response from about 200-10000hz.... any other reasonably priced options out there???

what about some BG neo8's... they only play down to 500hz, but would this suffice for rears?? it would certainly allow for a small speaker..

perhaps a couple of 2-3" drivers....

any ideas, feel free to toss them out...

thanks

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

About 40% of the audible frequency range is below 500Hz. Besides that, without low-end protection, you'd fry the ribbon in a heartbeat.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Yeah, the 871 TB's you mentioned (parallel) and www.creativesound.ca is going to have some 4" full range drivers with response of about 70-18000 Hz, IIRC.

4. Stephen Matthew

Yeah i think i remember hearing about them having something along the lines of that, made by Adire... 6mm throw and Dan claims with some phase plug work it will be flat out to 20khz... but how much will it be and when are the real questions...

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

If you'll be using the surrounds for movies (as opposed to Telarc's 1812 Overture) FR response to 80 Hz should be enough. I'm using the TB W3-871S currently in my surrounds. Since the completion of my new mains which use the W5-704S I'm contemplating using either a W4 or W5 in addition to the W3. TB Surround

The 4" extended range driver being developed by CSS and Adire is almost ready. The motor/cone structure seems to have been settled on, now it's a matter of frame choice and impedance variety. Still, it may be a little while longer. It did demo at our meet. The first time I heard it was in Vegas, single driver in a vented cab. This time it was in a MTM setup. It got rave reviews from all in attendance.

6. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I was trying to hold out for the XBL2 products, but I have a feeling the kits will be a little more expensive than the current kits offered by adire??

Do you know if they have any kits in the works?? Estimated price??

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

No price point has been determined yet. The 6" XBL2 mid-woof may not be available for DIY but who knows? The 4" XBL2 extended range driver is intended to be a lower priced alternative to the Jordan JX92S. Of course, even if it's 50% less that puts it in the $60-$70US range. It's too early yet for kit design. I think those that heard Dan W's talk on driver design, construction and marketing have a better idea now why these things take so long.

8. Stephen Matthew

9. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Designing the driver takes more than throwing parts at it and walla.
    Never happen.
    This 4" that is in the works even since the DIY event at Adire has changed again.
    Frame is cast not stamped as in the MTM I built and designed for Bob at CSS.With the new ribbon he will have as well.No it is not the G2.The cabinets are built to have extra space to allow for the new large frame.I just have to re cut the fronts with a larger rabbet bit.
    [​IMG]
    Changing a few other things as well hope to get the next samples shortly.
    These will come in a 8-16ohm as well as round cast and trunk frame.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Single driver is the cabinets I did for CES with the first proto types in them.

Lets see what this driver will do once it if in production[​IMG]

On the 6.5" it is coming along well from the last talk I had with Bob today.

Time frame to time frame from comunication to the manufacture to a change to a proto type driver built shipped and then tested each change takes 4-6 weeks to finish.So 3-4 changes takes months not just a top plate!

Al

10. Stephen Matthew

well then.. perhaps i should just wait....lol...already built 4 cabinets for rears just for kicks, im sure i can wait...., btw, what ribbon is that?

11. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

New ribbon CSS will have soon

Al