Full list of DVD players that pass 480i via HDMI?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd Hostettler, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Rather than start yet another "what's the best player for my Infocus 4805" thread, I'm hoping to get answers to this single, burning question.

From the research I've done, the Sony DVP-NS975V seems like a contender... but I've heard there are some serious build issues. Could I get a consensus on just what players are out there at this time?

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Pioneer DV-59AVi.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Also the 47Ai and the new 79AVi.

There are only a few more. Most don't.

4. Todd Hostettler

Any other Sonys, perhaps?

5. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I am not aware of any build issues with the 975. could you elaborate ?

I own one and build quality is not an issue for a player at this price range. it did have some firmware issues early on which required to sending for new firmware upgrade(took a week including shipping to and from)but other than that its the best dvd player I have ever owned. it flat out beats any upscale player I have owned(samsung, zenith 318)in detail when upscaled and 480p is one of the best at this price range. tweeter has it for $198

I have had no problems since being fixed and has a very detailed upscaled image. makes the zenith look silly. so for people saying upscale doesnt work ? well I have a CRT XBR set and the zenith looked no different than my other players in 480p, on my DLP pj you could def tell a difference though. but the sony 975 on my CRT(which is suppose to show no increase due to it being a CRT) suprised me how much detail came out and hands down had much more detail than when in 480p which is impressive in itself. how on a CRT I dont know , I can understand on a DLP but was very suprised how much detail the unit showed on my CRT.

very nice player and cheap now! audio is very nice too. I love it! waiting for my M1-HDMI adapter to try upscale through my SP4805.

6. Todd Hostettler

Ralph, thanks for the clarification. Do you have a link and/or phone # to get the firmware patch?

Because it's becoming abundantly clear it'll either be the Sony or an Oppo for me. At least, that's the way it looks this week. [​IMG]

7. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

just call sony repair, the # is on the website. the bad firmware is 1.80 the new firmware is 1.90

if you get a unit here is the info to check your firmware to be sure you got the right one.

power off to the unit; press TOP MENU,CLEAR,then POWER on the remote

you have to send it out to sony, they wont give a patch due to users making mistakes installing. the Oppo is a cool player you might consider seriously buying it if you cannot get a new firmware on the sony. I hear they have cleaned it up and the new ones should be correct. like I said tweeter has them for $198 and they know of the problem and said to me the new ones they have didnt have the old firmware. if this is true or not I do not know. have to buy one to see. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen Stunt Coordinator

My Panasonic S77 does it. But I wouldn't reccomend that player myself.

9. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Since it's the title of the thread I have to ask: Do you realize the Oppo does not do 480i through HDMI?

10. Todd Hostettler

Yes, but IIRC, the consensus is that the macroblocking problem isn't apparent with the Oppo/4805 combo in 480p mode.

Am I incorrect on this? [​IMG]

11. DaveMcFar

DaveMcFar Extra

OK I looked at Tweeter's site and only found this player Sony DVPNS90V. Does anyone have this player and if so would u recommend it?

thanks

HD03King