Full-Frame Vs. Anamorphic: The Same Quality?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, May 8, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Can someone clear this up for me? .......

Is a DVD Full-Frame transfer exactly the same in PQ as a Widescreen Anamorphic transfer?

Or is their something inherent in the "Anamorphic" process that steps its video quality up still higher than a Full-Frame/Full-Screen DVD transfer?

Thanks for any info.

[​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, PQ is an interesting concept. They are the same number of pixels, so the same resolution. However, if it was a widescreen film, the full frame transfer is likely missing picture information.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As Vince says, it's the same number of pixels, but you're comparing apples to oranges. An anamorphically enhanced image will be wider than a 4:3 image; so while they may have the same number of pixels, they won't be the same image.

M.

4. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    For 1.85 aspect ratios, yes, pan and scan or full frame is the same resolution, as long as you're watching the 1.85 image on a widescreen set.

For 2.35 aspect ratios, no -- a pan and scan transfer is higher resolution, though of course you're missing a large part of the picture on the sides.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Really? I'll be damned. Learn something new every day, don't you?

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is false. In DVD supports only 2 ratios that use all pixels of the 720x480: 4:3 and anamorphic 16:9. A 2.35 film will have some lines with back bars hard encoded into the video signal. DVD does not support 2.35:1 using the full 720x480 without black bars in the video signal, regardless of "squeeze mode" or not.

Long story short, 2.35:1 is just slightly letterboxed inside the 16x9 image, using black bars in the video signal to accomplish this. So the 2.35:1 would have "less resolution" as it would use less pixels for picture area. The original reply was correct.

-Vince

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

10. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Wouldn't a 2.35:1 picture on a widescreen display still offer better resolution than the 4:3 full screen picture on a 4:3 TV? The anamorphic process on a true 16:9 display puts more vertical resolution in the given space. The horizontal resolution would be the same on both, right?

11. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Also, as shown on the Die Hard 5 Star collection dvd, wouldn't the blowing up of a 2.35:1 image to 4:3 make the image appear a bit worse looking showing more grain etc. because of the blowup? I'm not an expert by any means so I'm just speaking off the top of my head with my thoughts here.

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Vince,

Does it have to be that way with 2:35 anamorphic? I mean, from a technological perspective, couldn't they have done something differently with the encoding? I guess not and it's not a huge deal since very little resolution is being lost. Of course, the display and DVD would have needed to be programmed differently. I never knew a thin black bar was made there for this.

Brian,

You are certainly right about learning something every day LOL. This is news to me.

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Dave H, they could have, but that would have required reworking the MPEG-2 codec, which currently only supports the two ARs. Apparently, they didn't think it was worth the trouble (and additional hardware cost for players) for a relatively small resolution increase in resolution that few people would be able to appreciate.

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

But if you have a 4:3 TV that does the anamorphic squeeze, wouldn't the anamorphic picture be higher quality? Yes, it has the same number of lines of resolution as a full-screen image, but the lines are closer together in a smaller vertical space. (The scan lines actually seem to disappear on my Sony.)

Isn't that higher resolution?

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Randy,

Your observation is valid- but opens an interesting debate. Since resolution is pixels in a given amount of space- what you said is true: a set with sqeeze would display higher resolution (more pixels in less space).

However, the using the same rules that an anamorphic image displayed on a 16:9 set would have less resolution than the 4:3 (as the 4:3 would be same number of pixels displayed over less space).

So, it kind of depends on how you choose to arrange those pixels. When trying to compare the concept of resolution of two different images of different shapes- you open a can of worms as the issue of resolution becomes less important than perception and image content.

-Vince

19. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Could have-- they would have had to decide, when designing the format to encode full 720x480 for all video, no matter the aspect- and then instruct the player how to output-- but compatibility with monitors (the ability to know how to arrange the pixels) would have been required as well. In addition, players would have had to be designed to properly reformat for 4:3 (like it does for current anamorphic material).

Instead they simply decided to go with the two display standard: "current" 4:3 and future 16:9.

I'm glad to have a video format that understands and supports anamorphic in the first place! Try explaining this concept to your grandma (or heck, even some of your friends), and you realize it's surprising that electronic companies allowed the door to open for anamorphic to exist in the first place.

-Vince

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer