What's new

Full frame on a 16:9 Display (1 Viewer)

Robin Warren

Second Unit
I have a new Toshiba 57HDX82 and am about to watch Red River. I notice that this is displayed in Full Frame and was actually confused as to what mode I should watch this in to keep it as close to OAR as possible and at the same time to avoid the gray bars on the side.

Thanks for any help here.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It would be impossible to view Red River OAR on a 16x9 set without the bars on the side.
Anything else will distort the proper image.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Rain: I think he just wants to avoid gray bars, not bars altogether...

Some DVD players (Toshibas, in particular) have aspect ratio control so you leave the set in full mode, and set the DVD output to 4:3. That's what I do on my Toshiba 6200.

My set can't properly display 4:3 window-boxed in 480p mode, so that's the only option that I have. It, unfortunately, it seems to eliminate a lot (maybe all?) of the DCDi based players.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
what mode I should watch this in to keep it as close to OAR as possible and at the same time to avoid the gray bars on the side.
Rain is a no-holds-barred OAR purist (nothing wrong with that) but the question says "as close to OAR as possible" and "no gray bars." So, the answer is, Theater One mode, which stretches the sides of the picture to fill the screen.

Personally, I'd watch with the gray bars, but to each his own. Stretch and face the wrath of Rain....

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks