Full Frame DVD's available on widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Joyner, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

There are many DVD's that are available only on full-frame aspect (Happy Gilmore, Purple Rain, Timecop). I've e-mailed Universal Studios' DVD department to see if they will ever release their full-frame DVD's on widescreen, but they never answered. Does anyone know some info on this or have the same frustration I have about this subject?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, it's oft-lamented around here

Timecop is available in widescreen outside of R1, but I don't think Purple Rain or Happy Gilmore are.

Universal isn't the best studio when it comes to giving the customer what they ask for anymore

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

To be fair, at least Happy Gilmore was released in early 1998 when Universal was trying to figure out what format people wanted on DVD - Fullscreen or Widescreen. They're a lot better at doing widescreen releases now.

Compared to the way certain other studios release their catalogue product, they're doing pretty well these days, I'd say.

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner is starting to do widescreen reissues of some of their films.

Driving Miss Daisy was previously unmatted-only, as was Caddyshack (although, the SE came a while ago).

Purple Rain likely would need involvement from [insert weird symbol thingy here].

IMO, the non-OAR titles WB will most likely re-issue in widescreen will be Arthur, Vacation, Chariots of Fire, A Christmas Story, and perhaps Stand & Deliver and Clean & Sober.

Universal's most likely reissues would be The Sting, Babe, The Paper, and The Shadow.

MGM would probably work on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang first. The rest, I doubt.

Disney probably won't revist any of their non-OAR discs until the next format.

Given how New Line Cinema has a small catalogue, they might do a widescreen edition of Joe's Apartment.

We don't really have to worry much about reissues in OAR from Paramount, Fox, Kino, Criterion, and Image.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I'd agree with Patrick's list of likely WB re-issues and would hope that Peter Weir's Fearless makes the list as well.

- Walter.

7. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

It might be a good idea to get a multi region/PAL capable player and start importing DVDs from Europe. Dozens of DVDs that are only available full frame in the US are OAR in Region 2 zone