What's new

Full Details: Disney's "Aladdin"! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I, for one, am not totally thrilled with the DVD of ST:TMP. I do like the edits they made; the film was too long, Wise knew it, and the deletions tightened the film's pace. I'm also glad they included the deleted material as part of the suppliments.

What I'm not happy about are the added effects. On the DVD documentary, they talk about wanting to use only technology and designs from 1979 so that the new stuff would match. Nothing new matches, not even close. I don't have a huge projection screen or a state of the art anything, and I could notice the new stuff plain as day. The stuff just doesn't look good, and it's incredibly distracting.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I will be doing the same, then again the LD probably isn't going to be worth a whole lot after this release.

Aladdin has an amazing sound mix as it is so I can only imagine what the HT mix will sound like.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
You will be able to watch this without the new song (like the "theatrical version" in The Lion King).

The new songs (whether really new or taken off the cutting room floor) are usually not that good, and even if they were great, would really stick out like sore thumbs to those of us familiar to these movies.

These "enhencements" are a little more than just adding detail and touching up blemishes that would be distracting on an IMAX screen (look at the stylistic changes in The Lion King, and the sound of the beast breaking furniture as Belle leaves the castle the second time).

A slippery slope. However, I will still be all over this if it doesn't go past level of changes for the "Theatrical" Lion King.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Can't wait. Aladdin is one of the last on my list in terms on "long awaited" movies to hit DVD.

Regards,
Dan

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
With redraws, nothing should look different;nothing "changed". I'm all over this one.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The whole hype of the Disney Platinum brand has officialy gone to crap.

These "digital enhancements" are blasphemous. 20% of the original artwork redrawn, why not just release a whole new film! This is a blatant disregard and disrespect towards the many animators and inbetweeners that devoted and exerted their skill and talent to creating an original and creative piece of film, only to have some schlubs step in a decade later to "touch up" their successful production so that Disney can promote this release to a public whose discernment they obviously take for granted!

I refuse to support the desecration of these classics in such a way! They may be minor tweaks to some, but Ive been waiting over 5 years to own these films on DVD and after all this time, the only way to get the theatrical cut is to pick up the laserdisc... No sale!

By Disney's standard, where will these enhancements end? Sure all movies can look better with today's technology, does that mean Disney should be allowed to re-animate classic films like Fantasia since it's over 60 years old? Why would Aladdin or any other feature film be any different and how hard would it have really been to offer the original cut as an optional feature? Why not go back and "augment" Michaelangelo's 'Statue Of David' because surely with today's resources, we can offer a more realistic design...

And as far as the amazing extras, look where Disney has gone from the incredible collector's status of the Snow White Platinum release 2 years ago to this deficient lackluster attempt...

1. - A deleted song sequence wrongly re-integrated into an already consummated work.

2. - A stupid virtual carpet ride insultingly aimed at 6 year old children.

3 - Yet some more boring insignificant virtual games that nobody bothers to play courtesy of disneys brilliant marketing department.

4 - Some exciting sing-along songs and music videos courtesy of the talented vocal stylings of the 'Hillary Duff Disney Channel All Stars' and a wonderful tour of the genies lamp!!!

:eek:

In other words... the extras will include 2 audio commentaries and likely a short making of featurette.

Can't wait.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
marco-they didn't just make the adjustments to enhance the film, they made the changes to the IMAX release because of how large the screen was. as for the dvd, i agree, they should have at least included the original version, but you can also arguably say that the changes are almost unnoticable-for me with the lion king, anyway.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this movie since I was in seventh grade, and it had just come out on video for the first time, I will definitely be picking up this DVD.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
my all time favoutire Disney movie is coming to DVD?

Badaboom baby! Bring it ON!

I thoroughly enjoyed the Enhanced DD mix on TLK, and given that Aladdin had more LFE effects thrown in (that escape from the collapsing Cave of Wonders should prove demo worthy)this DVD should crank.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Regardless of whether or not they are noticeable, IMAX program or not, these films should have been left alone and the decision is just wrong! Not to mention that Disney seems to have abandoned the whole Imax re-release program since the triple failures of their latest three theatrical issues.

As far as The Lion King Platinum Edition; as an animation enthusiast I have to say that the changes were very much apparent to me and I find it very disturbing that not even a full decade after a film's initial release, we already have studios altering and manipulating the context of their films. Every flaw and shortcoming is just as significant as the opposing elements which balance all films and the fact that we are adapting the work and skill of other people under blind studio suits consent w/o the input of the creators or people originally involved with the projects, is a travesty. Films should be presented as they were originally produced and shown.

Look at the mess that has been caused to the original title sequences of so many classic theatrical cartoons because of studio's "adaptations" years later. Films have been neglected, negatives lost and/or destroyed. This is slightly off-topic but still related in context. Film is art and should be treated as such, appreciated and immortalized through it's own expression. It is wrong for Disney to be manipulating the work of it's former artists and these changes should not be happening!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Where does it say that "Proud of Your Boy" is being incorporated back into the movie? Sort of hard to do, since I believe that song was performed by Aladdin's mother, a character cut from the movie in the development stage. Aladdin is an orphan in the film.

"Oh, it's sad
Aladdin's hit the bottom
He's become a one-man rise in crime

I'd blame parents
'cept he hasn't got 'em..."

The blurb in this thread says "deleted scenes include...".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Marco. :emoji_thumbsup:

It blows me away how agreeable people are to Disney tampering with the visuals in their animated films. If another studio announced that they were going to redo twenty percent of one of their classic films in order to "improve" it for IMAX showings, the proverbial crap would hit the fan. The fact that people have no difficulty with "changes" being made to animated films just shows their complete contempt for animation as a legitimate film artform.

They think since these films are "primarily meant for children" that the company can take any liberties it wants. Being a "childrens" film, and not a legitimate piece of cinema art, it is okay for the company to alter it for whatever reason it puts forth.

You can see the same attitude come out when it comes to Disney censoring "objectional" -or what they perceive to be objectional- material out of their older films. If the same thing was done to a classic live action film the whining would be a sight to behold. The wailing about "suits" tampering with movie history would be immense. I can just imagine all the comments that would be made about "wet-behind-the-ears suits" being clueless about the historical context within which the film was first made.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

C'mon now, Ernest, you're not going to let that one slip by you without a response, are you?

Personally, I never noticed a single change in Beauty and the Beast, nor did I notice anyhting in The Lion King unti lit was pointed out (the crocs). In the end, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Does this stance make me contemptious against animation as a legitimate film art form? Perhaps according to Edwin-S, but I've gone through 25 years of life not worrying about his opinion on this aspect of my life, and I plan to continue doing so.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Perhaps according to Edwin-S, but I've gone through 25 years of life not worrying about his opinion on this aspect of my life, and I plan to continue doing so.

:) Well, I wouldn't expect you to worry. It is just how I feel. If it was live action the complaints would be rolling in. Perhaps I worded that too strongly, but I do think animation is held in lower esteem than live action; therefore, changes do not elicit the response they would if it was a live action film that was being "modified."

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans

Who cares? It didnt bother me enough to notice. Nor did I know any animation changes were made to LK. I still don't care. I did care about the severe lack of extras though. Great release.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Some people do care. And anybody who feels that nobody has a right to care or to express their opinion is just plain rude.

Here's the real question. Why does it bother you that some of us might not share your opinion? Why not just buy the disc, be happy about it, and be quiet?

It is one thing to say "I don't care", but it is something else to say "who cares", especially when it is damned obvious that some people do.

TonyDale

Second Unit

Happy to see the Michaelangelo reference, should we now discuss the heated debate over the Sistine Chapel's renovations? Mike isn't around to speak for himself as an artist, but, I'm nearly certain that most of the Disney artists who worked on ALADDIN ARE. . . Are they complaining? Grouching? Grumping?

I'm actually quite curious as to what THEIR opinion on these alterations are.

Were they consulted? Are they doing the redraws?

My major caveat regarding the 20% "spruce up," is whether or not the film will retain its Hirshfieldesque, simple line drawing look?

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans

When the project director(s) expresses his opinion on his film then I will care, as I always do. But I dont care for your opinion.

Has it affected the story? No. Has it affected the film overall as a masterpiece? No.
I support the filmmaker. I hope he speaks out if this bothers him. Its his film not mine. How's that for an opinion..

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

Oh, so you care for bonus material more than for the film's integrity?

That kind of attitude really gives me the creeps. And, not to get too personal or offensive here, but I think it speaks volumes about you (as well as your not noticing the changes making them legit, the rest of the world notwithstanding).

Me, I wouldn't have that many misgivings about this whole tinkering, revisionist trend as long as they ("they" being Disney, Lucas or anybody else) included the original, untouched theatrical release along with the "new and improved" enhanced version. As I have stated many times before, there's the matter of "historical relevance" that, to me, goes beyond the creator's right to modify his/her own work.

As a creator, you are entitled to play with your creation as much as you want, but you should not be able to rewrite the past. That is a very, very dangerous urge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks