What's new

Full Details: Carnivale - Season One (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I liked the show quite a bit but I won't be getting this anytime soon. $100 U.S. will probably be $130 Canadian. I'd rather buy 6 or 7 other dvds.

I wonder how the transer will handle all of the sandstorms? I saw a hi-def broadcast of the entire series on my 27 inch 4:3 tv through RCA cable's and they looked quite bad. hopefully the dvd does a better job with them.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I saw a hi-def broadcast of the entire series on my 27 inch 4:3 tv through RCA cable's and they looked quite bad. hopefully the dvd does a better job with them.

maybe cause you used rca cables.

I woudlnt even think about buying it even at half of that msrp. and I loved the show.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
With STL at Amazon it will cost $63...that's the same I paid for Six Feet Under S2, so I'll definitely be getting it. Fantastic show.

Erik S

Auditioning
Lump me in with those who would happily purchase the set if it wasn't so expensive. If it had a MSRP around $50-$60 (which would probably street for around somewhere $35-$45), I wouldn't think twice about it.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Carnivale is finally out! Great show -- watched 3 episodes last night after a quick trip to BestBuy. It was pricey, $79.95, and I could have saved almost $15.00 (including our 8% sales tax!!) if I'd purchased it from Amazon, but couldn't wait. This is my 2004 Christmas/birthday present to myself.

Beautiful box, like an expensive book slip case on the outside. Inside, is a fold out 'book' with 6 DVDs. Classy graphics complete this great package. HBO does have class.

The show is even better! Carnivale is the kind of show that makes DVD on TV so special; no movie could/would ever be this exhaustive and deep. Not enough time... I now look at movies as 'short stories' and TV sets as novels.

Carnivale captures the Great Depression and Dust Bowl better than any film I've ever seen: incredible photography and sets. If you're entranced by seedy carnivals, freaks and geeks, dwarfs, the occult and the powers of good and evil, you will love this show! I can't wait until Season II is available.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just wanted to make a quick comment on the pricing issue.

IMO, HBO's hour-length series border on cinema-quality if not better. Carnivale is a period piece, and it's probably not cheap to produce. The episodes in season 1 add up to roughly 6 movies in length. If you can get the set for $70-$80, that's like paying $12-$13 per movie. I pay more for movies all the time.

True there are many, many TV series that have just as much content for less money, but I honestly believe that HBO's series are a cut above the rest.

I rented the first 2 discs of Carnivale from Netflix since I'm trying to cut back on blind buys. As usual, the discs I rent I wind up wanting to own, and the discs I blind buy I wished I just rented. I'm really enjoying Carnivale and will probably pick up the set tomorrow without renting the rest of the set. Conversely, I recently blind bought The Wire S1, and while it was very well done and enjoyable to watch to the ending, I didn't feel it was something I'd watch again.

Carnivale however has this very intense and forboding energy that I find fascinating. Plus the lead actors are great, and I was pleasantly surprised with how supernatural the show is. I knew it would be weird, but I had not expected it to be supernatural.

And BTW, John, I love your description of TV sets as novels. That's exactly what they are like to me. Maybe that's why season sets seem so natural to watch straight through on dramatic series.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Somehow, I figured this was just another HBO 4-disc release ala The Sopranos. I was pleasantly impressed to see 6 discs, with only 2 episodes per disc. Just watched the first 2 episodes, and I was really impressed with the quality. Looks almost as good as I remember the hi-def version looking.

The mastering reminds me of the Twin Peaks box set. The only difference is the full bitrate DTS tracks on TP. I guess I can just keep praying for that :D

Eric F

Screenwriter
Lucky me, HBO-HD has started to rerun the first season 3x a week for the next few weeks. This show looks amazing in HD, among the best I've ever seen.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Are these dual-layer discs, or is HBO using DVD-5's to make it appear to be better value than it is?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not for quite awhile. I would say that it will come out a few weeks before Season Three (if there is one) starts. In other words, a minimum of a year. Plus, keep in mind that no episode of Season Two has even aired yet.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
HBO really did put out a wonderful set with Carnivale. I can understand how people complain about the price they ask but now that I've gotten and watched it, I feel I got a great value for my money.
It starts with the beautiful packaging (one of the best I've seen yet) and continues with the great production values of the show itself.

My only "complaint" with HBO is that they stopped doing what they did on the first season of "The Sopranos" - put all the trailers for the episodes on the last disc of the set in additon to having them on the individual discs. Sometimes I enjoy just browsing a few trailers, especially if they are well done (the music in the Carnivale trailers is awesome). If they were all on one disc it would be a great service. It would also be basically free for HBO because they have the trailers on there anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks