What's new

Full Contact (Ringo Lam / Chow Yun-Fat) - UK HKL Region 2 Review (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We've taken a look at Hong Kong Legends' August 30th UK region 2 release of the 1992 Ringo Lam / Chow Yun-Fat low budget actioner full Contact. You can read the full review here:

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link, Chris.

FULL CONTACT is one of my top ten all-time favourite Hong Kong films. I love it more each time I see it. While I probably won't spring for this edition, I am perplexed at those little dialogue changes you mention: the "vomiting crab" line is a classic!

Sounds like Bey Logan's commentary is somewhat U.K.-centric in regarding the cuts, etc., but his continued presence on these DVD releases when he, in fact, had nothing to do with their original production, gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, I realize he's the ultimate gweilo fan boy living out his dream in the Hong Kong film industry (although as you mention, THE MEDALLION seems to represent the apex of his career to date), but he has been prone to errors on previous tracks. I can't speak for this one, but knowing Lam, Yam and many others are still alive, AND that there are better Hong Kong film historians out there, I have to wonder if he was the best choice...or just the most visible choice.

Some Hong Kong filmmakers were so prolific back in the golden years that they probably couldn't pad a full length audio commentary by themselves since one movie probably blends into the next in their memories, and yet I'd still prefer to hear Lam (subtitled if need be) discussing his own film, maybe with a Chinese interviewer, or even some of the secondary players in the film (Ann Bridgewater, Frankie Chin, Anthony Wong, the latter a lot of fun in English on the Tai Seng UNTOLD STORY commentary)

Also, regarding the repetitive nature of Yam's interview segment: I find this problem arises when many Hong Kong film people discuss their films - in English. It's not their first language and it's too bad many of them opt to discuss their important work in their second language rather than their first. Yam also gives his interviews in English on the Chinese release of the ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE box set documentary and comes off similarly repetitive and fluffy, while other subjects speak Cantonese, tell better stories, and are translated with excellent subtitles. I suspect this choice to speak English is more on the part of the talent than the interviewers, perhaps so they can show the world - and potential film producers - that they are reasonably versed in the language. I've heard Frankie Chin's English skills are much better, so I'd imagine his interview is more revealing in any number of ways.

I've also heard the Columbia TriStar R1 DVD has a very poor 5.1 mix, particularly during the opening sequences, where the song "Get The Fuck Out" is pumped way, way down. Does the HKL version keep it cranked as it should be?

One fix for your trailer section on this disc: Michelle Yeoh was in WING CHUN, not Maggie Cheung.

cas_h

Auditioning
hi,

although i do not have the Columbia Tristar version for comparison, i think that the HKL audio track was pretty good.

the opening track may not be played as loudly as it should, but a dance track later on certain receives decent coverage.

i didn't even know about the vomiting crab line until after i read it on some forums. in the film, he says something stupid like "you look wet" instead. i don't think it's the only odd dialogue change!

and yes, i'm sure they picked bey logan because he was the easiest choice, but not the best. he's very enthusiastic but too much of a fanboy, unfortunately. it's just not the same as having someone who was actually involved in the production doing the commentary.

one of my co-reviewers has just done another HKL dvd, the Jackie Chan-starring Heart of the Dragon if you're interested.

cheers

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Brian,
I own the R1 Columbia-Tristar version and both language tracks are in 2-channel mono, not 5.1. I can only assume the HKL edition is much better.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I have it now and regret buying it. A lot of the music score is missing, just like with the Columbia DVD. I have this on laserdisc and also the old DVD and know the soundtrack very weel. I am terribly disappointed. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks