What's new

Full bit rate dts (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Shane,

I believe the question from Sten was referring to the list of 5.1 AND 6.1 DTS titles, linked to from Justin Hargis which indicates which DTS titles are DTS-ES 6.1 discrete but makes no mention to which are DTS-ES matrixed.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
The DUNE 2000 mini-series 3 disc directors cut has full bitrate 1509 DTS.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
My experience with full bit and half bit rate DTS tracks is that while on paper full bit rate looks better, human ears just aren't that good. In double blind testing I have yet to find anyone, including what many would consider extreme audiophiles, who is able to distinguish the difference between a DTS sample at 754Kbps and at 1509Kbps. In fact even when they have confidently stated they were able to tell the difference, when the same samples were played randomly no one was able to accurately identify the samples each time. As I recall it was very close to an average of a 50% success rate, thus leading to the obvious conclusion that the samples were indistinguishable.

While full bit rate DTS tracks are still quite common in R2 and R3, I am often baffled by those that will avoid the R1 DVD with a half bit rate DTS track, but a superior transfer in favor of a nonR1 edition with full bit rate DTS, but an inferior transfer.

My issue with DTS is their continual practice of boosting db levels. This is nothing less than what you might expect at a sleazy "Hi-Fi" store where the salesman turns one set of speakers slightly louder than the other. Unfortunately it works as most people perceive louder with better.

I have very little doubt this is the primary reason that many believe DTS is superior to DD, and the folks at DTS should be ashamed of themselves. DTS is a wonderful technology and they should allow their product to stand on its own merits without having to resort to sleazy salesmen techniques.

Speaking of which, has anyone posted a list of db boosted DTS tracks and by how much more db they are in comparison to the other available tracks?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I thought ALL DTS tracks where "boosted".
I believe the .1 is +10dB.
WSR recalibrates their review systems to 'adjusts' for each & every DTS vs. DD test.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i thought interview with the vampire was the last
which for some reason reads as this on win dvd:
Stream:
Type: DTS
Bitrate: 3840 Kbps
Number of main channels: 5
LFE Channel: Present
Sampling Frequency: 48khz
Bits Per Sample: 16

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Does DTS have an equivalent to dialog normalization? If not, the only way to boost dB levels significantly, assuming that they generally are using the available dynamic headroom, would be via compression/peak limiting. There have been discs where it sounds like this has been done to me. The DTS track on "Die Another Day" sounds loud, but not very dynamic, for instance.

Regards,

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, to have six channels at 48 KHz and with 20-bit words would mean that 'full rate' would be 6*48*20=5760, so obviously even full rate dts@1509 is somewhat compressed...

Not that using more bits necessarily means better sound, but we've been through that before, haven't we ;)?

greg_t

Screenwriter

Both Dolby digital and DTS boost the LFE channel 10DB higher than the other channels.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The reason that DTS@>=1411 kbps is called "full bitrate" is that it is comparable to the bitrate of theatrical DTS presentations (and DTS CDs). That's also the reason that it is not called "uncompressed". :)

Regards,

greg_t

Screenwriter

The DTS whitepaper at their website quotes theatrical DTS as being at 882Kbps, with DTS LD at 1235kbps, and DTS DVD at of course 1509kbps or now the common 754kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks