What's new

Fujitsu P42VHA30WS (1 Viewer)

alden_huen

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,

I am very new to these types of discussions, but Im looking for some help. I purchased a P42VHA30WS a few days ago. I have noticed that the color on my set just doesnt seem to be as vivid as they were in the store. I find the colors to be quite dull. When I watch TV (using Directv satelite) I find the picture to be not quite that clear and the color to be poor. When I watch DVDs (Harmon Kardon DVD25) I find the picture to be crisp, but the colors seem dull. Im sure that I probably missed some settings somewhere that will make the color come alive. Does anyone have any recommendations for color settings as well as any other settings that might help? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for cabling from my DVD and my Directv to the set? Sorry, I am very new to all this stuff.

Thanks

SimiA

Second Unit
This doesn't seem right. You have a very good set there.
Well, your Direct TV connection can be set up using s-video or composite. Composite is marked "video-out" on your D* Tv box and "video-in" on your set. It should only have one hole called an "RCA" type connection.
"S-video" is a 6 pin connector with a matching connection on your set and Direct TV box.
Only your eyes will tell you which looks better.
Now, you've got to remember, this is an SD signal, and some of the channels will look better than others, and will depend on how much the signal is compressed by Direct Tv.
The picture should still look quite good.
With your DVD player, your connection should be connected through "component" labled (Y Pb Pr). There are matching connections on your DVD player and Tv. They may say Cb Cr; same thing.
The color, contrast, greyscale, and brightness settings of your set can be calibrated using "AVIA."
This disc can be had for short money.
You can try to adjust these settings by eye, but for starters try these and go from there.
Contrast = -4
Brightness = -2
Color = 4
Tint = 4
Sharpness = -12

Mode = FINE

Luminance = 70
Black Level = -8

Color Temp:
Red = 230
Green = 240
Blue = 250
Good luck, Vb

alden_huen

Auditioning
Thanks very much for your help. It seems that getting the component cables helped ALOT with the DVD quality. I have an S video connection from the directv unit. The picture color and the picture quality is still not what I was hoping for using Directv. I wonder if its the amount of cabling I currently have. I had an electrician add wire from the cable outlet and fish cable through the cieling to where the tv is. That cable is roughly 30 feet. Does the coaxil cable from the outlet to the directv unit make a difference? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for quality cables at a decent price? Also, does the quality of the s video cable make a difference? I just used the standard s video cable that came with the directv dvr box.

By the way, I used some of the settings you listed above....the luminance level and setting the mode to fine helped ALOT.

Thanks!!

SimiA

Second Unit
The cable runs of 30 ft may be part of your problem, maybe not.
I would suspect not. Most use RG6 cable, and 30ft is not that long. If you said 100ft, then I'd suspect the cable.
As far as s-video cable being the culprit, I doubt that also. You might want to try the composite input, (That's the "Video In/Out" RCA plug) if you are using a D* SD STB. With an SD signal, some like composite better. Remember, and this is important..if you are viewing an SD signal on an HD plasma, "Not a good combo at ALL"!!!
HD plasmas seem to have a really hard time displaying an SD signal, as it is inferior, and the signal you were watching in the store was at least a DVD, or even better, an HD signal.
Hence, the great PQ you saw in the store.
They just weren't made to display SD well.
The saying goes, garbage in, garbage out.
If your set is fed an inferior signal, it will output an inferior picture.
Same saying for DVD's, as some transfers are better than others.
Some of your SD signals may look ok, but that will depend on how much Direct Tv compresses the signal.
Most of the time, you will notice some artifacts, blocking, solarization, and other forms of an inferior signal quality, that is being broadcast from D* Tv.
That is also the case with Dish Network, and any cable company!
Since you have such a great set, I'd suggest you get the set professionally ISF calibrated. You will not believe the difference.
It is worth the $300-$500 to have this done.
It will depend how how many inputs you want done.
You have, what is considered by many, to be the best plasma on the planet today.
One more thing. If you can get an HD Set Top Box from D* Tv, I'd highly recommend it.
You won't believe your eyes when an HD signal is fed thru this puppy. The PQ is F@#%#ing amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck,
VB

Matt-D

Auditioning
Hey guys. Speaking of Fujitsu P42VHA30WS 42" SD and the P42HHA10WS 42" HD model is it worth spending the extra money for the HD?

I was in Bing Lee today and they had them side by side, I couldn't tell which one was which. The salesmen asked me which one i thought the HD one was and I got it wrong.
What do you think?

SimiA

Second Unit
That's why I purchased 2 ED panels for less $$ than our friend who bought the Fujitsu.
When these puppies are fed an HD signal, at 8ft viewing, the difference in PQ was not worth the big $$$ that the HD set cost. And like post of our friend above, he noticed that an ED signal on an HD panel, is not good.
The ED panel will handle the SD sig much better.
Vb

Users who are viewing this thread