Fugitive SE and Twister SE vs. original releases.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], Sep 24, 2003.

1. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I'm usually loath to double dip (simply because there are many other movies I don't own yet), but I dropped the ball when I unknowingly picked up the original releases of Fugitive and Twister some time ago.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the differences between these releases.

Fugitive SE transfer is now spread over two layers.

I recall rather poor black levels on the regular release, but this goes to the transfer rather than the bit rate (and they may not be any better in the SE).

Fugitive SE also has extras, but they are fairly limited.

Twister SE is also most likely spread over two layers and now has a DTS track and some extras.

Did anyone double dip on these releases, were you happy with the end result?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have the SE of Twister and had the original of it. I also had the original of Fugitive and the SE but have neither today so I can't comment on that title too much.

Twister's dts track has been said to not be an improvement to the DD track. The video is better as the original was fairly grainy. I did not do an A-B comparison though.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  4. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

improved SE twister transfer may be, but still bad it is i think. interview with a vampire SE (released same time) faired much better. night and day difference. this one is best seen on a small screen.

5. Frank@N

Neil,

Thanks for the links.

Having now seen the packaging for both SEs, I get the packaging similarities.

I only wish Warner had the SE packaging more distinctive.

I bought the older versions used because I didn't know there were SE releases.

6. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I also wasn't aware of SE editions of these. When did they come out? Are they in snappers still? Do the improved versions actually say Spacial Edition?

Ric

7. Frank@N

Well, at least I got the SE for Interview.

Didn't even know there was an older version.

But to be honest, I wasn't really thrilled with the SE's black levels.

I tweaked my display for the first 30 minutes and then just gave up and watched.

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

9. Frank@N

Ric,

I think the SEs came out in 2000.

The boarder on the cover appears to be the only difference.

Can't say if Interview SE has any visible differences, but the back will list widescreen only (no standard).

I guess this method could be used to identify each of the SE's in question actually.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The front of the new Interview With the Vampire SE looks the same, but the back lists special features. The old one doesn't. Still in a snapper, btw.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I was bummed. After remembering reading this thread I checked my copies of Twister and Fugitive to see which version I had, and since I saw no "Special Edition" anywhere on the cover I was sure I had mistakenly gotten the older versions. Then I re-read the thread, and did a little online research and found I actually did have the SE's, as I have the thin border, (gold on Twister and red on Fugitive). What a lame packing though. Why not put "Special Edition" so people really know what they've got or what they're buying.

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    The SE's also are not THX certified. The first Twister was. Funny though as the newer SE looks ands sounds better too.

13. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

The Outlaw Josey Wales (and one or two other Eastwood films, including Dirty Harry) was also re-released as a SE without much fanfare. I never A/Bd them, but Obi's review of the new edition of Wales on his website (I'm not sure if that's still on-line or not) indicated minor changes/improvements in the color timing and overall look. With the special features, that convinced me to upgrade.

I never owned the original The Fugitive, but the SE has a commentary. [​IMG]

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Odd they wouldn't want to promote the SEs with the appropriate banners across the packaging. Only difference I can see (on the front) is a colored band circling the SE versions. .....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Frank@N

16. Frank@N

17. Frank@N

Come to think of it, sometimes even extra supplements aren't welcome.

I bought the Dirty Harry boxset about a year ago.

After watching DH, I watched a supplement which was on the DH disc.

Instead of just covering DH, it started to summerize all the movies in the series and giving away plot spoilers for the entire boxset.

I should have got up and turned it off, but didn't.

18. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I would not double-dip just to get more extras. It would almost always require an improved transfer for me to double-dip. Like a non-anamorphic replaced by an anamorphic.

19. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The Fugitive S.E. is definitely worth a double-dip. The first disc was one of Warner's earliest efforts and was poorly compressed IMO. The new disc has the same transfer but with far less (or perhaps more competent) compression. The extras are also a nice bonus.

-Lyle J.P.

20. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I think they retransfered The Fugitive usuing the same negatives, but the improvement in the picture is much more dramatic than if they had just re-compressed the same HD transfer.

I have all of the Warner Brothers' full bitrate DTS releases (Twister and Interview With A Vampire sound the best in DTS) and The Fugitive SE. Of all of them The Fugitive gets the thumbs up when it comes to the most improved video quality, but alas did not get DTS.

The first three Lethal Weapon films with DTS are expanded cuts and Lethal Weapon 2 finally got a 16x9 transfer (it had been the only one in the series not to get one originally).

Dan