What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
It's amazing how info on this has just ground to an absolute halt. And that only confirms further we are looking at a legal issue and not a playback issue (as none of us lucky few have spotted anything in that area).
w7273l.jpg

I'd guess that there's a few ppl at CBS that are behind the
2unu16t.jpg
with this fiasco.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
Catlady said:
I noted earlier in this thread that the mp3s of The Fugitive soundtrack are no longer available at Amazon; I don't know when they stopped being available, but can it be a coincidence that the composer of the soundtrack died, and the DVD set that includes the soundtrack was recalled, and the soundtrack itself has been pulled recently?
On the other hand, why should Rugolo's death affect any agreements as to rights and royalties?
Has anyone tried contacting someone that might represent the Rugulo family/estate? I suspect they'd be a lot more forthcoming than CBS would.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Catlady said:
I noted earlier in this thread that the mp3s of The Fugitive soundtrack are no longer available at Amazon; I don't know when they stopped being available, but can it be a coincidence that the composer of the soundtrack died, and the DVD set that includes the soundtrack was recalled, and the soundtrack itself has been pulled recently?
On the other hand, why should Rugolo's death affect any agreements as to rights and royalties?
Good questions. I'm only guessing on it but i don't think it was related to the passing of Rugolo. But then again, I never win the lottery either
8ycb9y.jpg

John DeAngelis said:
Has anyone tried contacting someone that might represent the Rugulo family/estate? I suspect they'd be a lot more forthcoming than CBS would.
That's a good idea. They couldn't be more tight-lipped than CBS
21oq1ir.jpg

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The replacement music about 22 minutes into Season 1's "The Garden House," when the band is playing, is still there. It's still poorly mixed with the other audio, at a higher volume and eminently noticeable. Perhaps this is something they can fix when they reissue the set? (By the way, "The Gardent House" is one of the worst episodes of I've seen of the series; what a poor script; a complete waste all around. Pippa Scott is usually better in her guest starring roles; she's atrocious here, probably more due to her character than anything else.)
So it seems with the Season 1 episodes, apparently nothing has changed with the visual or audio. The only difference is that now subtitles have been added.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There are indeed no changes to anything in S1. The giveaway is that the episodes end with the old CBS/Paramount tag from the time when they first came out in 2007.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Jack P said:
There are indeed no changes to anything in S1. The giveaway is that the episodes end with the old CBS/Paramount tag from the time when they first came out in 2007.
In his detailed Amazon review (no longer accessible, as the main listing has of course been removed), I thought Carab noted that there was restored footage to a Season 1 ep ("Ballad of a Ghost", if I am remembering correctly).

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
Jeff Willis said:
Good questions. I'm only guessing on it but i don't think it was related to the passing of Rugolo. But then again, I never win the lottery either
8ycb9y.jpg
Suppose it's some issue with the record company that had previously issued the soundtrack. After all, we do know that the CD included with the box set is different from the previously released CD--17 tracks as opposed to 24, though the total time is the same.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I do know from a comparison that the bonus CD has cues missing from the earlier release and what sounds like alternate cues for other things like the End Credits music which goes at a much faster tempo and has a bad note at the end from the horns.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Jeff Willis said:
Time for a fly on the wall scene at the CBS Home Ent. water cooler
1zxsig7.jpg
That CCTV footage tells it all. Nothing will get done as long as those CBS folk keep talking over one another. Tempus Fugit...!!!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
As I read this thread, I am beginning to think I'm the only one who didn't get a set and I'm frustrated. Why didn't they ship my order? As for The Garden House, well, I like it better than many season 4 episodes but it's a fairly weak season one entry.
Cheers,
Steve Lecher

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Jack P said:
I do know from a comparison that the bonus CD has cues missing from the earlier release and what sounds like alternate cues for other things like the End Credits music which goes at a much faster tempo and has a bad note at the end from the horns.
Why CBS would bother releasing a -reconfigured- Soundtrack CD is a puzzle to me.
Years ago, I bought an original/shrink-wrapped one on eBay for $30. It was factory, because the wrap had a promotional sticker on it "Original Music from the hit TV series: "The Fugitive"
Yeah, I open it...and I played it. So sue me. :D

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by TheGreatOz /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/660#post_3871696
Why CBS would bother releasing a -reconfigured- Soundtrack CD is a puzzle to me.
Years ago, I bought an original/shrink-wrapped one on eBay for $30. It was factory, because the wrap had a promotional sticker on it "Original Music from the hit TV series: "The Fugitive"
Yeah, I open it...and I played it. So sue me.
Well why wouldn't you open it and play it? Unless you only bought it to try to resell it at a later date and a higher price.

Records and CDs were meant to be opened and played.

I bought that CD of THE FUGITIVE the day it was released and have gotten much enjoyment out of it.

Harry

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
stevelecher said:
As I read this thread, I am beginning to think I'm the only one who didn't get a set and I'm frustrated. Why didn't they ship my order? As for The Garden House, well, I like it better than many season 4 episodes but it's a fairly weak season one entry.
Cheers,
Steve Lecher
No...I didn't get one either but then again...I played Super Cheapskate and was hoping for an Amazon Deal of the Day on the set around mid-year 2012.
kamikaze.gif

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Harry-N said:
Well why wouldn't you open it and play it?  Unless you only bought it to try to resell it at a later date and a higher price. Records and CDs were meant to be opened and played.   I bought that CD of THE FUGITIVE the day it was released and have gotten much enjoyment out of it. Harry 
I've endured some criticism for "opening, playing, and enjoying" several rare/out-of-print items...The Fugitive soundtrack, Song of the South laserdisc, The Beatles 1970 Christmas LP compilation, and others. Should I open the "Most Wanted" Fugitive Box Set? :confused:

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
So it's been about a month since the infamous recall, and we still have absolutely no real knowledge of why the Fugitive set was recalled or when it will be reissued. I find that absolutely amazing! Doesn't someone know somebody at CBS?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
John DeAngelis said:
So it's been about a month since the infamous recall, and we still have absolutely no real knowledge of why the Fugitive set was recalled or when it will be reissued. I find that absolutely amazing! Doesn't someone know somebody at CBS?
I'd say it's a safe bet that is true. Sometimes we have to play the waiting game while the CBS suits make the decisions
2hx8rhx.jpg

There may be a gag order about this as well
2a78qxw.jpg

Just my guess on the timeframe, but I'd expect to hear something about the re-release in Jan-Feb. With the holiday season approaching in the States, time will fly for me, while waiting for word on this story
29f9lb9.jpg

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
This is my opinion on the issue after watching some of the Most Wanted Edition set that was released. I have watched " Nemesis"," Tiger Left Tiger Right", "World's End", "The Nicest Fella You'd Ever Want to Meet", "Man on A String", "Man in A Chariot", "When the Bough Breaks"," Brass Ring", "The End is But the Beginning", "Fun Games and Party Favors", and "The Good Guys and the Bad Guys", as well as all of Season One. As stated before, Season One is just as before with some radio music changed. The Season Two episodes I have watched are almost 100% intact. With the exception of bar music, radio music, and juke box, all of the back score has been 100% restored with the exception of "The Good Guys and the Bad Guys". The fair music and dance music is still replaced. The dance music removed from this episode was the same dance music used and restored in "Fun, Games, and Party Favors" ("Fun, Games, and Party Favors". seemed to be 100% intact to me).
Now this is my opinion and ONLY that. I really think CBS/Paramount wants to give us the best possible set that mirrors a "night of broadcast" version. I think that the Most Wanted Set was recalled because they thought everything was fixed and found out at the last minute it was not. I think some of the Heyes and other music they thought they had been fixed popped up and they recalled them to fix it to the original. If I were in their seat and after all of the backlash that they have received over the previous release, and deservedly so, and then to announce a complete box set, I would want to make sure that is was the best intact version that could be possibly released to save face. Certainly this has to be a huge undertaking and great expense on them to do this and so the release date is not known to them because they are going over every episode to make sure it is the best it can be. I really think they are going to give us and “The Fugitive” the pedestal treatment they always claim they give Classic TV shows. Now for their silence, I have no idea. Your guess is as good as mine.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^ John, I sure hope you're right about your guess on it. Based on something I can't post, I don't think this will be the scenario with the re-release but I'm pulling for your scenario.
I had previously thought the same as you though.
One question that I'd have regarding a re-released set, would be about the radio/pop tunes question. I can't see CBS including that part in a re-release as those tunes are almost always prohibited in CBS TV/DVD sets due to copyright issues and there are some of those tunes that apparently missed CBS's final checks and were restored in the recalled set, unless they spent extra funds on this particular box set and made an exception by restoring all of the pop tunes of the era.
I wasn't aware that there was any Heyes backscore in the S2-3 episodes recalled box set. Is that what you were referring to with the "Good Guys and the Bad Guys" episode?
It all comes down to which box set will more closely represent the originally-aired versions. Initially I had my bet on the re-released version but later, I changed my guess on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.