What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
jimmyjet said:
on the average, how long does it take for a popular show like this to have a blu-ray put out after a dvd complete seasons is released ?
It might never come out. There's no way to know, is there?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
on the average, how long does it take for a popular show like this to have a blu-ray put out after a dvd complete seasons is released ?
There's no way to know. In the case of the few classic shows that have come out, they've been released so far after the DVDs that they're completely independent of them.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yeah, there's no rhyme nor reason to when or IF a TV show will ever be released on Blu-ray. It depends on how well the DVDs sold and whether there's enough interest in a Blu-ray set.

Harry

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think there was almost a decade between when The Dick Van Dyke Show started coming out on DVD and when the Blu-ray came out. There was probably 5 or 6 years between when The Twilight Zone season sets came out and the Blu-rays. Like Harry said, there's no rhyme or reason to how it happens.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Different series have different levels of interest among the public, and there's no hard and fast rule as to which ones will continue to see upgrades in each new media format. THE FUGITIVE fans waited years for ANY release of the full series, having to settle for forty or so episodes on VHS tape from questionable master sources. And it wasn't until August of 2007 that we got the first half of the first season, and not until five years later that a complete series set was really available.

Shows like STAR TREK and its later incarnations are perceived as perennials - shows that will always be popular with a large segment of the population. Add to that list shows like I LOVE LUCY, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, and series with wide cult followings like THE PRISONER.

While THE FUGITIVE was definitely popular in its day, it fell into the recesses of collective memory for years. Being an hour series meant that it got lesser amounts of play in syndication, and its black & whiteness for 3/4 of the episodes relegated it to off-hours as TV stations wanted as much color material as they could get back in the '70s.

By the '80s, the series was pretty well forgotten until late in the decade when A&E started showing episodes. And even there, it was generally given a morning time-slot - not exactly prime time.

Another two decades passed before the beginnings of the DVD releases, and we spent years of never being sure when the next release would be. And then the whole music backscore debacle began, and doubts really surfaced. But they did come out, slowly but surely over a period of four years - almost as if the series were playing out in real time - and by the early part of 2011, all four seasons were available in 8 half-season sets.

I think the series gained some notoriety in its DVD releases. Surely the publicity about the music score wasn't good publicity - but as they say, any notice is good notice when you're trying to get the public's attention. I can't tell you the number of reviews I've read regarding the music replacement where folks who'd never seen the series couldn't understand the hue and cry over the backscores. It was a new series to them - any music was just as unfamiliar as the real score would have been. So that told me that the series still had "legs". People were interested enough once again in the plight of Dr. Richard Kimble.

So the series got a full-series box set. And they solved and corrected the score issue. But is that box set selling well enough to warrant a Blu-ray release? Only CBS knows. But the fact that they don't seem to have manufactured full "corrected" sets and are relying on selling the one with five flawed disc and then replacing those discs as requested, tells me that the big expensive box set isn't exactly flying off the shelves. Heck, Amazon still doesn't carry it themselves, relying instead on third-party sellers.

Though this thread is long, and its readers and posters are many, I'll bet there are surely less than 50 people even here that bought the full-series set. Some managed to get the abortive release a year earlier, some managed to get both, and there are still others sitting on the fence waiting for a couple more shoes to drop:

- that the series will be released in a full set with corrected discs to start.
- that the price will finally fall to what they perceive as the value point.

In this particular climate, I don't see a Blu-ray release anytime soon for THE FUGITIVE.

Harry

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Harry-N said:
In this particular climate, I don't see a Blu-ray release anytime soon for THE FUGITIVE.

Harry
My thoughts exactly.

Although when I watch my Twilight Zone and my Dick Van Dyke Show blu-ray sets from Image I must admit I really long for the same kind of set for The Fugitive. Both of those sets look AMAZING.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
DeWilson said:
Did anyone make a listing of the fixes and changes in the Box set regarding music?
This new box is virtually 100% night of original broadcast sound and picture. Everything was fixed. It's perfect. What else do you need to know?

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Forgive me is this has already been asked and answered. Does any of the color episodes have the animated 'The Fugitive in Color' at the start?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
stuartfanning said:
Forgive me is this has already been asked and answered. Does any of the color episodes have the animated 'The Fugitive in Color' at the start?
Yep. They are included.

Gary "wouldn't be the same without them" O.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Harry-N said:

Harry
I agree. If the Blu-ray never happens I'm perfectly happy with my box set.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
InColor.jpg

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Received my set from Amazon marketplace seller importCDs yesterday, checked the suspect discs and they are fine. Looks like corrected sets are now with retailers.

By the way have any of the 'Station Identification' breaks in the middle of episodes been left intact by CBS/Paramount?

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
stuartfanning said:
Received my set from Amazon marketplace seller importCDs yesterday, checked the suspect discs and they are fine. Looks like corrected sets are now with retailers.

That's great news!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
stuartfanning said:

By the way have any of the 'Station Identification' breaks in the middle of episodes been left intact by CBS/Paramount?
Nope, sorry, the Station ID breaks are not included.

Do the "label area" of the suspect discs look different than the rest of them? The replacement DVDs have a little "Richard Kimble" figure on them.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
ScottRE said:
Nope, sorry, the Station ID breaks are not included.

Do the "label area" of the suspect discs look different than the rest of them? The replacement DVDs have a little "Richard Kimble" figure on them.
Here's what it as like during the color season.

Strange all the disc are the same. No 'Kimble' figure on the discs in question on my set!

Users who are viewing this thread