What's new

Fuesbox/meter mounted surge supressors (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone here used one of the fusebox or utility meter mounted surge supressors? If so, do you have any manufacturer/model suggestions? I am in the process of having an electrician re-wire some of my outlets (for my HT as well as my computer room) and could have one of these units installed as well in the process. I don't plan on relying on such a unit for all my surge protection, just as an additonal line of defense on my incoming power.
Here's a link to one unit from Intermatics (Look at model #IG1240RC):
Link Removed
Leviton model # 42120-001 looks good too:
http://www.leviton.com/sections/prod...surgeindex.htm
Thoughts? Comments?
-Jonathan
------------------
"We're hosed. We lost the remote."

ChrisB

Stunt Coordinator
Regerding surge protectors, Leviton is a good maker of any equipment, I have installed quit a few of there whole house surge protectors. The ones I have installed go next to the breaker panel, and do take up 2 breakers in your panel. You mentioned you are installing plugs for your home theator and computer, if you have a UPS at those locations, the UPS will protect against almost anything, since UPS "cleans" your power, and are always working off the battery, any spikes will be absorbed by it. Hope this helps a little, and to save money I would buy the surge protector yourself, and let the electrican install it, being a electrican myself, we do mark up all material at least 20%.

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Thanks for the input! I do have a few UPS's I might relocate and use for my HT gear. Regarding the Leviton supressor, I was planning on buying it myself to save a few bucks as you suggested. Thanks again!
-Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks