fuel cell powered scooter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Cool!

Although, sitting on top of 15 liters of compressed hydrogen makes me a little nervous.

I honestly can't wait for the day when zero-emission vehicles become commonplace. I've noticed the air in my town has become considerably more polluted just within the past decade or so.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Cool! I always wondered why more companies aren't trying to get fuel cells into smaller vehicles. The benefits would be immediate and I'm sure alot easier to engineer than a fuel-celled powered automobile.

I like the use of the Givi case on the back to hold the cell. I wonder how well the whole system works?

I've always believed that you need to get fuels cells into motorcycles, riding lawn mowers, etc...before putting them into cars. It's an easier way to get the infrastructure in place and it gets the general population more familiar with the technology.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm really not sure, the performance specs are comparable to a gasoline powered scooter, so probably pretty well. I dunno what 3 kw of power equates to though. A 50 cc scooter is what, 7-8hp max?
    Aprilia has been making fuel cell powered bikes for a little while now, I would assume they have the bugs worked out, or at least will shortly. I think the givi is temporary, dunno though, maybe just for research purposes. It's a nice scooter.. as far as scoots go anyway [​IMG]

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's an interesting concept. I would buy one if they could be had at a reasonable price and if there were a hydrogen gas station somewhere around here.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

any welding or gas shop should have hydrogen, tool in, swap canisters and be on your way (I assume? that appears to be like a 20lb standard gas cylendar in the photo)
    oddly enough I was at the store yesterday on my aprilia and the guy next to me asks "is that thing pretty good on gas?" and I said "no, gets about 29mpg" haha, because, it's true [​IMG]