FS: Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by DaveHo, Aug 30, 2006.

1. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

SOLD

Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R tuner/preamp/processor.

The AVP-9080, with its distinctive titanium faced chassis, is a tuner/pre-amp/surround processor, a complete system control center for the audiophile who wants to upgrade to separates for 5.1 audio. It features Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding with a built-in RF demodulator for laser disc playback, a 6-channel direct input for possible future formats, a built-in AM/FM tuner, and a full function pre-amp with a Tone Direct analog signal path, free of digital processing, for maximum reference sound reproduction. According to Wide screen Review, the AVP-9080, with its many features, "easily equals or betters the performance of anything anywhere near its price range."

Key Features - AVP-9080 Turner/Preamplifier/Processor

• Dolby Digital (AC-3) Decoder Built In
    • DTS Decoder Built In
    • RF Demodulator for Laser Discs Built In
    • 6-Channel Direct Input
    • 20-Bit A to D and D to A Converters
    • Dolby Pro Logic Surround/Dolby 3 Stereo
    • RF, Coaxial, & Optical digital Inputs
    • Analog Bypass for Purist

This is a great sounding processor. Comes from a non-smoking home. I have the original box, manual, & remote. Preamp is in excellent cosmetic condition. No dents, dings or scratches. Operationally it is excellent, with one minor exception. When the unit is disconnected from power, the settings are lost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Dave

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

This would be worth it just for the RF Demodulator alone, if you're a laser disc fan. Is the loss of settings a characteristic of this model, or is it a fault, like a bad battery?

3. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I e-mailed Eugene @ Sherwood's tech support about the issue when I first noticed it. According to him there is no internal battery. If I remember correctly, he gave me an estimate of $40 to fix the issue. I figured till I paid for shipping both ways(I'm on the East coast, Sherwood is in Cali) & the repair cost it would be in the neighborhood of a $100 to fix it. This was two years ago, so obviously I didn't consider it enough of an issue to bother fixing. I mean, it's not like I unplug it on a regular basis. Main reason for selling is upgraditis to 7.1.

-Dave

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If I had the money I would buy it.

5. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Re: the settings issue.

This unit has a "power off" button in addition to an "on/standby" button. As long as you don't turn the power completely off, or unplug it, it retains it's settings.

It's a great sounding preamp.

RG

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Price has been reduced. The settings thing is really a non-issue under normal usage. If you don't care about 7.1, you'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding processor anywhere near this price.

-Dave

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

As to the settings issue, I would imagine that the batter used to back the settings is a button cell. So if you can find it inside the unit and remove it, then all you would have to do is buy another battery. You should call Sherwood and ask how much it would cost for them to replace the fuse, if it is anywhere near $100 dollars for them to do it, just to see if they are charging outrageous rates for simple things that could easilly be handled be even the most novice electronic head. It would be a lot more cost effective to buy it yourself and DIY. I guess this is for Dave or who ever wins the Newcastle.

8. JarrettJ

JarrettJ Stunt Coordinator

pm sent!!

9. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Bump, added pictures.

10. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Bump for new price.