What's new

FS: Samsung SIR-T150 hdtv tuner (1 Viewer)

Frank Bon

Stunt Coordinator
This unit is almost like new( watched less than 50hrs of programming). Includes remote remote, and operators manual. this unit works abosolutely fine. The reason for selling is I am going to give htpc a whirl.
Price: $250.00 shipped (US & Canada)

Frank Bon

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if it will upconvert dishnet signals to 480p. I am at work and will check once i get home and report later today. i have only used it in 1080i mode although i am sure it has 480i,480p,720p,and 1080i modes.

David_Wh

Stunt Coordinator
Walter,

No it will not. This is an OTA HD receiver only.
If you are looking for something to upconvert Dish to 480p then you might want to look at a video scaler like the Iscan Pro or similiar.
Hope this helps.

DWhite

walter king

Auditioning
DW,
I thought that mose OTA tuners could upconvert cable/sat pictures.
Do most/all not do this?
Thanks
PS If thy do do it is the dis network picture better (less pixelated, better black/grey?

Frank Bon

Stunt Coordinator
DWhite is correct. This unit only has rf antenna and a rf through jack for inputs, according to this cnet review copy&pasted(hope this can answer everones questions) here:
Samsung has jumped into the HDTV scene with its Tantus line of digital-ready televisions. To round out the line, the company is offering the SIR-T150, an off-air HDTV decoder. While this box does a great job of picking up local terrestrial broadcasts, it is not a combination satellite/terrestrial receiver like RCA's DTC100. But for those who can't receive satellite TV, this decoder does a superb job.
Connects to any TV
Regardless of what you have in your home theater, the SIR-T150 is well apportioned, with input and output jacks to accommodate everything. One RF antenna input and an RF-through jack connect to the TV antenna input (presumably for analog reception) for any local channel you need. The 15-pin, VGA-style RGBHV output; one set of component video outputs (Y, Pb, Pr); one S-Video output; and one composite video output assure that you'll be able to connect to any display. There's also a switch on the back of the box to select either the RGB or component video output and another for choosing between 480i, 480p, and 720p or 1,080i output resolutions. It is also nice that Samsung doesn't skimp on the audio; there is a set of six-channel analog audio outputs, as well as both coaxial and optical 5.1 digital audio outputs.

The initial setup proved to be a snap. One autoscan and the set picked up all the available channels in New York without a hitch. We found the internal menu system to be highly intuitive, and the remote control with joystick was a pleasure to use. Using the Marantz PD5010D 50-inch plasma TV as our HDTV display, the Samsung unit performed flawlessly. The SIR-T150 is among the most sensitive tuners we've tested at CNET, which is a good thing--especially if you are in a fringe area where reception is spotty with less sensitive tuners.

Well supported
If you do run into trouble, though, Samsung has you pretty well covered with a toll-free tech support number that's available from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Otherwise, the warranty offers the fairly standard one-year parts-and-labor coverage.

The Samsung SIR-T150, at a list price of $699, represents a really strong value in the category. Its excellent performance, intuitive and easily navigable internal menu system, and refined fit and finish make the SIR-T150 an awesome choice in terrestrial set-top boxes for off-air HDTV signal reception. Heck, it even has both kinds of digital audio outputs, making it a snap to incorporate into you home theater. We highly recommend it to anyone who has no need for--or can't receive--HDTV via satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks